ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #23
HOG4DNR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Thank you for all the feedback, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
wrh3
Car Guy
Rep
Drives: 2005 MCS, 2013 Corvette 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Notchy gears - Royal Purple Synchromax
Poor visibility - Multivex mirrors.
x2

Bill- 2005 Mini Cooper S, 2013 Corvette 427
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #25
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=...hl&hl=en&pli=1

Royal purple was 12th out of 14 gearbox oils analyzed. Feel free to run that crap in your car all you want. I'll stick to what the best automotive engineers in the world recommend, BMW's factory stuff.
http://www.streetcommodores.com.au/i...132oiltech.pdf
(which essentiallly pokes holes in http://www.lnengineering.com/oiltest.pdf 's finding that RP is way better than anything else)
      10-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Notchy gears - Royal Purple Synchromax
Poor visibility - Multivex mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrh3 View Post
x2
I've no real complaints about the gears. I've had no problems with the mirrors once they're properly adjusted with the sides covering the blind spots and the rear-view tilted up - you can see further back, but only with half the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #27
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

you can say that RP is crap but i have put 200,000 miles on my mini cooper s, and its raced often and a few months back we did a compresion vacume test and i have virtually perfect compression just like new. no oil burning and still purres and pulls strong.

its hard to call this stuff junk when its proven to me at least that it keeps the engine clean and running great after 8 years and 200,000 miles of abuse.

mobil 1 i use in the A6 and the Z4 since i do not race the cars, i figure running RP in them will be more of a waste with normal driving.

the other cars that i drive hard i put the RP in and they feel great.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #28
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
you can say that RP is crap but i have put 200,000 miles on my mini cooper s, and its raced often and a few months back we did a compresion vacume test and i have virtually perfect compression just like new. no oil burning and still purres and pulls strong.

its hard to call this stuff junk when its proven to me at least that it keeps the engine clean and running great after 8 years and 200,000 miles of abuse.

mobil 1 i use in the A6 and the Z4 since i do not race the cars, i figure running RP in them will be more of a waste with normal driving.

the other cars that i drive hard i put the RP in and they feel great.
What makes you think your mini cooper wouldn't run just as well on any other oil?
      10-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #29
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

well, I was running when the car was new the BMW oil and during the changes it smelled really burnt like and was black, the RP during the same driving conditions and same change intervals appeared far better and felt better rubbing between my fingers.

also still looked cleaner, maybe not as affected as much to heat and breakdown as the Castrol.

I do know however that RP is still one of the few oil manufacturers that still put Zinc into their oil that acts as a naturally lubricating metal and when the oil film is broken it’s not metal to metal you will have a thin coating of the zinc that helps keep the damage from happening, hence the micro polishing effect. though this would be rare to happen and only under extremes hence why I don’t run it in my daily drivers as the engines don’t see the abuse.

Remember RP uses the same base oil as MOBIL 1, very good oil base basically top shelf, onley RP adds some of their own ingrediants to the oil which makes it better and more exspensive ofcourse

I doubt there would be a difference but I wasn’t arguing the point I was just saying it’s not crap oil as the miles and driving style is far from being nice to an engine and it’s still pulling strong that’s all I’m saying.

plus with 200,000 miles on my mini since ive made the change and ran nothing but and pulling near perfect vacume levels its hard to argue the point that its crap. if you dont want to run it in your car great you dont have to but thats why we have options!

to be honest their all great oils and running them will more than likley make your engine happy for many many years and miles so its all really just preference really.

to each their own!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #30
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Coming from a newer car I'd say try to find one without nav because its so old it gives the car an outdated feel. On this car the less tech the better imo, cleaner an simpler layout and the car just looks more raw
Actually, not really true. I am coming from an 02 NSX and 02 M3 and have to say with navi it feels more modern. Not sure what year Z4 or Z3 you have but its more modern than a lot of cars on the road these days. More modern than an E92 M3. Been there done that.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #31
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

oh one more thing rarley will your engine ever reach the max to break the oil pertective layer so even running RP may be overkill hence that test shown on the bearings will more than likley never happin in a normal engine.

so useing MOBIL 1 or Castrol will be fine and more than acceptable, I can say I run RP just because i like the Purple color feels more sinthetic to me lol!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #32
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
They have a good marketing dept. Sadly marketing and quality don't always go hand in hand.

Answer me this is if RP is just great stuff how come no major manufacturers use it as OE fluids?

Not to be a downer on certain car scenes but the american car/muscle car scene is one of the worst for supporting quality aftermarket parts... where k&n CAI's and magnaflow exhausts are considered quality mods you know quality isn't the first concern for the muscle car modder.
1) Running RP as OEM would be cost prohibitive, that's why. You're paying a large premium to run it and you think car manufactures are going to do that? Not going to happen.

2) You're slagging an SRT-8's tech (A 6.1 Hemi mated to the running gear/transmission out of a Mercedes E55 - from the few years that Daimler and Chrysler kissed; not as "American" as you'd like to think) and think that their crew think K&N and Magnaflow are uber high end? You're sadly mistaken. This isn't a GM product. It took Vendors a LONG time and a lot of R&D to squeak hp out of some very high end goodies for those rides, and the people that run them are paying for that quality.

Bottom line, RP is not only about marketing. They've got lot's o proof in their basket, whether you choose to believe it or not. To each his/her own.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #33
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOG4DNR View Post
Thank you for all the feedback, much appreciated.
Opinions aside, and I haven't seen any I disagree with (and I'm not getting into the oil debates), I think you've got to find one, warm it up thoroughly, and then really drive it.

All the knowledge about positives and negatives really don't tell you how much fun a car is, how well it suits your style of driving or expectations. A lot of cars look great on paper but IRL are boring as watching paint dry. Find one, drive it, tell us what you think. That's all the matters in the end.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #34
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
1) Running RP as OEM would be cost prohibitive, that's why. You're paying a large premium to run it and you think car manufactures are going to do that? Not going to happen.
Humm quite peculiar that the BMW pentosin stuff is actually more expensive (and im not talking from the BMW dealer either) at $22/liter versus royal purple (both in the e46 m3 application) at $14/liter.

Trust me if the stuff was that superior SOME oe manufacturer would run it as OE fluid... none do... that should tell you something.

I just can't understand what is driving you guys to believe that royal purple knows what's best for our cars more so than BMW's own engineers, that combined with hard independent scientific data that shows RP under performing compared to other gearbox oils, as well as other BMW owners own negative experiences is way more than enough for me to question RP's marketing claims.

BTW if you guys are interested I would love to sell you on some ZMAX and Tornado Fuel Savers!
      10-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #35
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Humm quite peculiar that the BMW pentosin stuff is actually more expensive (and im not talking from the BMW dealer either) at $22/liter versus royal purple (both in the e46 m3 application) at $14/liter.

Trust me if the stuff was that superior SOME oe manufacturer would run it as OE fluid... none do... that should tell you something.

I just can't understand what is driving you guys to believe that royal purple knows what's best for our cars more so than BMW's own engineers, that combined with hard independent scientific data that shows RP under performing compared to other gearbox oils, as well as other BMW owners own negative experiences is way more than enough for me to question RP's marketing claims.

BTW if you guys are interested I would love to sell you on some ZMAX and Tornado Fuel Savers!

come on now thats not nice those are snake oil!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #36
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Back at you ...what's driving you to be so against it and just accepting that its a good oil and leaving it at that. Either way I run other oils in my cars and Rp in the others with great results and 200000 mileage to prove it ...so their nuff said. sorry just playin
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 01:26 AM   #37
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:

You can run maple syrup for all I care. Serious.
Appreciate 0