ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
falkman
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i

Trunk leak & friends

Oh god... I've experienced the dreaded trunk leak issue. I'm currently trying to troubleshoot the issue, and I'm posting here to see if anyone see's the issue.

First of all, the car is a 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i with 55k miles. The leak is occurring on the right side (passenger side [US]/fuel filler side). It is leaking into the little compartment on the right side of the trunk, not in the center or on the left. The leak is not leaking from above or the sides and into the trunk, instead there's water pooling under the carpet and seeping up. When I peel back the carpet a bit, I can see the water pooling right under it, and I've poured water over the car to cause this to happen, and there is no water from the 3rd brake light, or dripping in, it's all going right below it and seeping up.

The water starts getting into the trunk when it's poured where the convertible top meets the frame of the car, on the right side.

Let me try to diagram it...

(the '|' are the sides of the car, the [ ] is the window (not to scale) and the x's symbolize the area where I pour water to cause it to leak)
Code:
|  [       ]  |
        x---x
As you can see, it leaks when it's on the right half of the convertible top, but pouring water around when it starts to curve (the edge of the car), is not an issue. So it's just the straight part pretty much just directly under the convertible top window. (Once again, it's where the top meets the frame of the car).

I instantly checked out the drain holes... and sure enough, one was so clogged, that there was standing water in the little compartment where the drain hole is! I just cleaned this out tonight, and water poured out of it. I then went through and rinsed about 2 gallons of water through it, and it's now flowing plenty fine. I then went back to test if the leak was still happening, and sure enough.. it is. [Perhaps I fixed the issue, but there is still some water that will dry up over time and then the issue will stop].

This brings me to where I am now. Any tips? Maybe the issue is fixed, but it will take a while for everything to dry out and for the issue to no longer occur. (If that makes sense) (Or perhaps I'm pouring too much water over it to simulate rain, and it's giving me poor real-world results)

Thanks in advance,
Brandon Falk

Last edited by falkman; 10-13-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Have you had a look at the connection point (rubber lip attached to the fabric top that seals to the frame)?

If water is getting into the trunk before it is routed to the drain, its likey due to a bad seal, however, others have reported water getting in via the brake light as well as the vent on the passenger side. Have a look at this post for further info

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=water+trunk

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
falkman
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

I know it's not the brake light as that would have to drip in (and wouldn't come in from below), and the third brake light has water that drips in in the middle and not the side so it can't be that either. Since the vent is by the tail light, and I'm pouring water on the convertible top, I highly doubt it is that either. It must be the rubber lip or something, that would be the only thing that would make sense. Any idea how much they run for and/or difficulty of install [model numbers?]?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I read somewhere else, another forum I believe, that others claim the water is getting in through a rubber gromet where the cable from the battery is snaked through the body on it's way to the engine compartment................... and that the intrusion was a result of driving through standing rain water. Anyone else heard of this theory?

John
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #5
falkman
Rep

I did hear about this, but I thought the source was talking about the battery cable going into the actual compartment under the trunk. Not sure though. But the issue I'm having is with water near the part where the top meets the body, nothing to do with driving through water or anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
AirOpsMgr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkman View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I know it's not the brake light as that would have to drip in (and wouldn't come in from below), and the third brake light has water that drips in in the middle and not the side so it can't be that either. Since the vent is by the tail light, and I'm pouring water on the convertible top, I highly doubt it is that either. It must be the rubber lip or something, that would be the only thing that would make sense. Any idea how much they run for and/or difficulty of install [model numbers?]?
I recently replaced the top motor, which required removal of the top; pretty sure you can't replace the seal as it is bonded to the fabric. When I removed the seal on mine, I noticed that the compound within the seal was dried up and cracking, perhaps you have a similar issue which is allowing water to get in. When I put my top back on, I used some non-curing silicone grease to re-seal the rubber lip.

Maybe try opening the trunk, pour water slowly over the suspected area of the top and see if it drips from within the trunk ceiling (where the seal meets the frame) - you might need to remove the soft top compartment floor to view this.

If it is the seal; you can pull the seal out (without removing the entire top), add some silicone grease, put it back together and hopefully resolve the issue.

ShipKiller has an excellent DIY with pics for the top removal:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=top+removal

To just undo the seal, you will only need steps 1-3 and 5-6 of his DIY (no need to do #4). Also, you may not need step 5, which details removing the soft top compartment floor if you are able to see the leak without removing it, but if you want to identify exactly where the leak is occuring, it may help.

Last edited by AirOpsMgr; 10-14-2011 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
falkman
Rep

I'm gonna be out for the weekend, but when I'm back, I'll make a little video visually showing my issue. It should be helpful with showing exactly what my problems are.

@AirOpsMgr: I'll see what other people say as well. I'm really not excited to have to remove the soft top, but if it's what I have to do, I guess I can do it. Thanks for the links and info!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
HarryFD
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

Long delay. But. Did you fix the problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
HarryFD
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post
I recently replaced the top motor, which required removal of the top; pretty sure you can't replace the seal as it is bonded to the fabric. When I removed the seal on mine, I noticed that the compound within the seal was dried up and cracking, perhaps you have a similar issue which is allowing water to get in. When I put my top back on, I used some non-curing silicone grease to re-seal the rubber lip.

Maybe try opening the trunk, pour water slowly over the suspected area of the top and see if it drips from within the trunk ceiling (where the seal meets the frame) - you might need to remove the soft top compartment floor to view this.

If it is the seal; you can pull the seal out (without removing the entire top), add some silicone grease, put it back together and hopefully resolve the issue.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ht=top+removal

To just undo the seal, you will only need steps 1-3 and 5-6 of his DIY (no need to do #4). Also, you may not need step 5, which details removing the soft top compartment floor if you are able to see the leak without removing it, but if you want to identify exactly where the leak is occuring, it may help.
I had water getting in the pocket on the right side of the trunk. I followed the above to reseat the weather strip and used a bit of non-hardening rubber sealant to fill some gaps. Last night we had a heavy downpour and the trunk was dry!

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      11-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #10
HarryFD
Rep

Arrrrghhhhhhhhh! Heavy rains the past few days and my leak is BACK!

Back to the drawing board.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
abelgonzaleZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 SilvrConvert 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryFD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirOpsMgr View Post

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=333198&highlight=top+removal

I had water getting in the pocket on the right side of the trunk. I followed the above to reseat the weather strip and used a bit of non-hardening rubber sealant to fill some gaps. Last night we had a heavy downpour and the trunk was dry!

Thanks!
Can you post pictures?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 12:57 AM   #12
mainsoda
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M coupe

I'm not sure the roadster and the coupe look the same in the back, but my car (a coupe) had a leak in the trunk just like yours. I also thought I had found the leak several times only to have it reoccur.

What I did to finally fix mine was to seal these two spots with flex tape (yes from the infomercial, the stuff is great). I found that both the air pressure release vent and the grommet on the floor let in water.

There is also a vent on the drivers side (which never leaked) so I didn't feel too bad about blocking the passenger side off. Also the floor grommet didn't seem to do anything but poorly block a hole in the trunk floor.

Once I covered these I never had a drop in the trunk again under any circumstance.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by mainsoda; 12-11-2018 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: bad grammar
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
HarryFD
Rep

I have a water leak into my 2003 Z4 that I can not find. With my car parked uphill (Nose up) the section next to the parcel tray on the right hand side fills with water and eventually drains into the trunk. I live in a hilly area so parking in a flat area is not an option. Attached is a picture of where the water seems to be entering the car. Where do I look to find the entry point?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #14
Adam_F30
Rep
Drives: Red 2013 328i

Any luck with this? I’m having the same problem (also an 03 E85) in the same location. Water seems to intrude from some location and then condense and drip back down into the battery compartment. I’ve checked the trunk seals, tightened down the taillight screws, and poured water over the top to try and trace any drips internally. After a bad rain storm I found 4 inches of water in the battery well and a fried amplifier. Used a shopvac to remove the water and left the trunk open in the sun to dry out.

After reading through this thread I replaced the bumper vent flaps but that didn’t solve the issue. My third brake light is showing some cracking so I’m going to try replacing it and the taillight screw caps in the upper corners of the trunk.

This has been a very frustrating challenge given the intense storms that have been rolling through August in the DC area.

Any more help with this issue is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:47 AM   #15
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Water in the trunk is hereditary on the E85's due to drains getting plugged.
2 things I did after finding a fried amp (I have a manual roof so not an issue for the pump)

1. Clean out the top storage well drains that reside in front of the rear wheel, behind the lower splash panel. I decide to trim the bottom of the star shaped end so there was a 1/4" hole to prevent build of debris.

2. Drill a series of 1/4" holes in the bottom of the battery tray, just in case water does get into that area.
Attached Images

W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #16
Adam_F30
Rep

Thanks for the extra details dbarton62. Have you had any issues with the holes at the base of the battery well? Any moisture, bugs, dirt, etc?

I used a small awl to poke the drain plugs and nothing came out. Perhaps I need to use a longer tool to get up further in case it’s plugged at the opening. I would really like to remove the soft top, clean the drain wells, and relocate the motor (or even install a new one) but it’s just not in the cards for me. Maybe it’s time to take it to a shop…
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #17
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

No issues for me, although I do not drive it purposely in wet weather.
I would attempt to push a piece of semi rigid 1/2 or 1/4 inch hose or tubing up the drains.
The drains will be plugged further up with debris most likely.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #18
Adam_F30
Rep

Just as a follow up, to remediate my issue I've cleared the drain holes on both sides and drilled two small holes in the battery compartment for drainage.. One drain was completely blocked so I used a bristled pipe cleaner to remove the debris, poured water through to ensure it drained clear and put it all back together. I'm thinking what happened was the drain bucket had water trapped inside. On a hot summer day, the water from the bucket evaporated and began to settle on the trunk lid and then condense drip down. So far, no water but the car has been covered. I'll follow up if the problem persists.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #19
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
I removed those 2 rubber stoppers altogether a few years ago, no problems.(my cars garaged though)