ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
lrz
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Complete PowerFlex bushing replacement

I want to buy a complete kit of PowerFlex Black series for my ///M.
I looked at their website that describes the available bushings for Z4M and there are some bushings that replace some OEM parts according to their description that are not in my car's parts catalog.

Here is a list of some parts that are not in my car parts catalog:

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...unt/10156.html

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/11992.html

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/13231.html

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/11297.html

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...ush/11299.html

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/product-...27mm/8956.html

Am I missing something?

Last edited by lrz; 06-30-2020 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Kinda all depends on what you're trying to refurb/replace and what is meant by "complete." What are you trying to do? Refresh all the bushings??? That's my guess so I'll proceed from there.

Since IDK what parts catalog is being referenced it's hard to say what is or what is not missing. The reference image on the Powerflex site matches with my recollection of parts req'd for a complete refresh with the following exceptions:
  1. Front control arms (lollipops)
  2. Transmission mounts. I would not go poly here unless you want to have the car sound like a tractor. Rogue neoprene are my preferred solution. And yes, these should be part of a refresh.
  3. Endlinks - what kind would depend on the suspension you're running.
Notes:
  1. Poly on the subframe/diff is going to increase diff whine. Not a bad thing, but it's a consideration.
  2. Poly engine mounts and transmission mounts are going to add significant noise, vibration, harshness. IMO a lot like a John Deere tractor.
  3. Intended use should direct which bushings/mounting to go with. A car used mostly at the track probably means vibration, noise, etc. aren't much of an issue. If the car is used mostly on the street, I'd seriously avoid poly on engine/transmission mounts. Subframe carrier and diff, there's a bit more noise, but nothing severe.
  4. If you still have the stock shocks/suspension I'd replace at the same time and do the rear shock mounts then. I like the Rogue version personally. No point in refreshing the bushings if the shocks are shot to hell, which pretty much means anything with stock shocks over 30K miles.
* Bilstein B6 are a good choice if you're budget conscious and want something easy to live with day to day for street driving. Def a step up from stock.

* Stepping up a notch KW V3 or Bilstein PSS10 still retain progressive springs but offer the adjustability of coilovers which makes a good compromise for a performance oriented street car or a street car that sees an occasional track day.
I hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-12-2020 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Poly engine mounts and transmission mounts are going to add significant noise, vibration, harshness. IMO a lot like a John Deere tractor.
I don’t think they’re poly but I put Vibra-Technics motor mounts in and do not feel like a John Or a Deere. Agree on trans mounts. I have Rogues on the shelf but no complaints with stock replacements. Street use with frequent aggressive interludes. No long road trips yet, damned ‘rona.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:18 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Poly engine mounts and transmission mounts are going to add significant noise, vibration, harshness. IMO a lot like a John Deere tractor.
I don't think they're poly but I put Vibra-Technics motor mounts in and do not feel like a John Or a Deere. Agree on trans mounts. I have Rogues on the shelf but no complaints with stock replacements. Street use with frequent aggressive interludes. No long road trips yet, damned 'rona.
John or Deere

I have Vibra Technics in the wife's Z. Street version, which uses hard rubber. In any case there's no change in NVH I can feel or hear, and no John Deere effects. They do seem to keep inertia from moving the engine as much as the stock mounts—even when the the car had 14k miles the stock mounts didn't control motion that well.

I really like the way the softer durometer Powerflex tightened up the rear end. A little more diff whine but worth it. Unlike those poly transmission mounts. Geez those were awful!

I'd love to take a road trip up the CA-OR-WA coast right now. It was 105F (41C) here today. Ouch! Virus makes that impossible since my immune system overreacts to everything, so for now it's back roads around home which are smooth, challenging, and fun.

Last edited by Finnegan; 07-13-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
wdb4716.50