ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2020, 09:14 AM   #45
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
There were some studies done here in Canada in the late 1980's and early 90's that greatly informed police training. The training has continued to be modified over the years but the sort story is this. If someone brandishes a knife and you as a police officer have to respond, that person can easily close a 20+ foot distance before you recognize the knife, draw your pistol, acquire a site picture and fire one round. That is optimal and often the reaction time is longer. The only appropriate use of force option for any edged weapon is a firearm.
The 21 foot rule
      06-18-2020, 09:21 AM   #46
Murf993
Captain
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
The 21 foot rule
Correct. Additional research/studies have been done so that term is no longer used in Canada anyway because critics would then say for example "the guy was 30' away so why did you shoot"?

The rule is an excellent guideline but in my experience I would immediately go to my pistol when any edged weapon was involved regardless of the distance. We were also trained to create space if possible and practical, and to also get something between us and the subject, a car for example. You have to realize that there are so many factors that can come into play. Your person skill, confidence and training. You're level of preparedness at that time (are you fatigued etc), environmental conditions, lighting, the ability of the subject (some folks are very proficient with edged weapons).

I had a work buddy attacked by a guy with a sword, my colleague was backing away trying to create distance and fell landing on his back. He was lucky to get his pistol out and get one shot off with the guy landing on top of him.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 03:32 PM   #47
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
The 21 foot rule
Correct. Additional research/studies have been done so that term is no longer used in Canada anyway because critics would then say for example "the guy was 30' away so why did you shoot"?

The rule is an excellent guideline but in my experience I would immediately go to my pistol when any edged weapon was involved regardless of the distance. We were also trained to create space if possible and practical, and to also get something between us and the subject, a car for example. You have to realize that there are so many factors that can come into play. Your person skill, confidence and training. You're level of preparedness at that time (are you fatigued etc), environmental conditions, lighting, the ability of the subject (some folks are very proficient with edged weapons).

I had a work buddy attacked by a guy with a sword, my colleague was backing away trying to create distance and fell landing on his back. He was lucky to get his pistol out and get one shot off with the guy landing on top of him.
To be honest, I personally think a cop is completely justified in killing someone attempting to attack him or her with a deadly weapon regardless of distance. The job is already dangerous enough, there shouldn't be more restrictions on when to protect yourself.