ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2009, 07:26 AM   #23
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

its really loud.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #24
Kream
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe, 11 GLK350

LOL that is awesome. Its basically an exhaust leak before the mufflers pipe but it will look like the stock exhaust. I'll do it when I get my M back from the dealership. Thanks guy!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #25
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kream View Post
LOL that is awesome. Its basically an exhaust leak before the mufflers pipe but it will look like the stock exhaust. I'll do it when I get my M back from the dealership. Thanks guy!

Be sure to post impressions and maybe even get some videos... Been looking into this idea a bit more and it seems some Porsche guys are doing it on their cars as well.. http://www.planetporsche.net/cayman-...d-package.html
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #26
Kream
Private First Class
Rep

I found some time to do the mod today. I ended up removing the flanges on both sides and used 4 washers to split the pipes. Giving it about a penny sized exhaust leak.

It is louder but not too loud. Very little to no droning. Sounds a little baffle low-end but great when you're on it. You can still hear the engine when you're above 5krpm. When the car was up on the ram the mufflers were hanging down a bit. I didn't like they way it looked then but when its on the road I can barely tell it was modified. The mufflers are loose but I haven't ran into any problems yet.

Sorry I don't have a camcorder for any vids.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 07:11 PM   #27
MMMazing07
More than you can afford pal....ferrari
Rep
Drives: Z4M

just take em off and see how you like it. cold start sounds retarded. but once it warmed up, let it rip
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 10:43 PM   #28
wyu177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kream View Post
I found some time to do the mod today. I ended up removing the flanges on both sides and used 4 washers to split the pipes. Giving it about a penny sized exhaust leak.

It is louder but not too loud. Very little to no droning. Sounds a little baffle low-end but great when you're on it. You can still hear the engine when you're above 5krpm. When the car was up on the ram the mufflers were hanging down a bit. I didn't like they way it looked then but when its on the road I can barely tell it was modified. The mufflers are loose but I haven't ran into any problems yet.

Sorry I don't have a camcorder for any vids.

Good to hear. Does it sound like a aftermarket exhaust? Are you planning on keeping it that way? Regarding the mufflers hanging low, you may consider the following technique that is used when installing a new exhaust: before tightening the bolts, jack up the exhaust so that its closer to the bumper then tighten the 2 bolts, one turn back and forth until both are tight.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #29
Kream
Private First Class
Rep

It does sound aftermarket. Very different from stock. So far I'm enjoying it and its not intrusive at all. I tried holding the mufflers up and tightening the bolt. But the gap between the pipes forces the mufflers to be loose.
Appreciate 0