ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-18-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
sbavington
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5

Arrow No K-Line Comms

I have been troubleshooting a problem with this 2003 Z4 2.5. I cannot scan it witjh INPA or ISTA at all. I can get a partial scan with MaxiDAS if i input the VIN manually.
In the Maxidas scenario i cannot see any modules on the K-Line. I can neever read the VIN with any scanner. If i put a ocilscope on the K=Line bus inside the car i can see the signals headed to the ECU and that looks ok. I never see any signals coming from the ECU to the OBD port pin 7.
The car operates ok, starts and runs the roof, windows, cluster and all seem to work work fine. The Seatbelt and airbg lights are on but i cannot diagnose them until i can talk to the k-line.
I sent the ECU out for testing where they put the ECU and EWS in another Z4 and there does not apear to be anything wrong with that. I have removed each of the the K-Line devices in turn from the bus hoping that one of them was jamming the K-line.
I'm running out of ideas and would appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance.... :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Pre post lift cars cable have a different pin out on the cable that you plug into the diagnostic port……

I'd check to see if the cable you have has a switch for pre/post setting. Two pins need to be switched if I remember correctly.

Much easier to just go online and order the cable with the switch. Google it…..