ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
All American 6
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 si Coupe

You Tube of Z4 si and Porsche Cayman S

Not sure why they didn't use the M. Maybe the Caymans S is their base model too.

End state is the Porsche is faster but not 20 euro faster.

ATW,
AA6

I did a search and this video didn't pop as being posted here already.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for posting this. I thought I had seen every Z4 3.0si coupe on the web before I bought my car. This was new to me. It's a pretty fair comparo.

My friend bought a non-S Cayman at about the same time as I got the Z4 - our conclusions were the same as in the video. Each car provides a similar amount of fun, but I have more money in my pocket. Looks are entirely objective of course, and we each prefer our own car.
      01-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Not much to disagree with in this comparison, which I haven't seen before. I owned a CS, best balanced car I've owned, go kart like handling, very forgiving (unlike the Z).

Downsides, for me at least, kinda boring to drive after the novelty wears off. And more importantly the Gen I CS has a host of mechanical major design flaws: power steering overheats and melts with track use; brakes get confused at high speed and do not work; and an engine that is as fragile as a piece of crystal. (IMS failures, oil-starvation failures, general failures--and that's in street driven only cars as well as track driven cars). The Z is more fun--and more of a challenge in some ways--to drive.

I wonder why they didn't compare the M? (Hydraulic steering, stiffer suspension, similar HP/TQ.) Hmm, but it makes very good case for the 3.0 vs. the more expensive CS. The 3.0 has the base Cayman beat in many ways by a mile.

The antenna "issue" is easily addressed with a heat gun to remove/replace the tip cover, utility knife, hacksaw, and 5 minutes time. Or a Mangowalk stubby for 15 bucks....

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-22-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I had a serious look at the Cayman S vs. my eventual Z4MC in early 2006. Bottom line; saved over $20K on the BMW and there are Cayman S's all over this city...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Heres another fun one.

One I hadn't seen before and is worth watching (if you can get by the fact it's in Japanese):

http://www.streetfire.net/video/010-...000_735077.htm

I would argue this is CLEARLY a case of the superior driver coming out on top (benifiting from other race traffic, too), versus any merits or shortcomings of the cars, themselves. I LOVE/OWN a Z4MC and all... but I think, particularly in the rain, that the Cayman S should be a faster car.

Cool to see the tachs of the cars superimposed on the screen. Particularly seeing how the traction control warning light in the BMW is flashing CONSTANTLY compared to the others.

Looks like a good time.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #6
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
Heres another fun one.

One I hadn't seen before and is worth watching (if you can get by the fact it's in Japanese):

I would argue this is CLEARLY a case of the superior driver coming out on top (benifiting from other race traffic, too), versus any merits or shortcomings of the cars, themselves. I LOVE/OWN a Z4MC and all... but I think, particularly in the rain, that the Cayman S should be a faster car.

Cool to see the tachs of the cars superimposed on the screen. Particularly seeing how the traction control warning light in the BMW is flashing CONSTANTLY compared to the others.

Looks like a good time.
That was fun too! I love the victory powerslide he did at the end!
      01-24-2012, 11:50 PM   #7
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
Heres another fun one.

Looks like a good time.
He had DSC on the whole time until the very end when you can see him reaching down and turning it off, all the other cars had their TCS lights on because they had all disabled the system before the start of the race hence why the M got blown off the line.

the drift at the end BLEW MY MIND!
Appreciate 0