ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #23
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGus View Post
UOA from Blackstone...
I wouldn't trust the Blackstone too much. It could be you have already worn through the lead and coper layers of the bearings. With this engine, that mileage and the fact that it hasn't been in your possession since new I would bite the bullet and spend the 1-2k on the rod bearings depending on if you dyi or have a shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:17 AM   #24
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
Hood release pull has no tension

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195019

This took about 15 minutes to fix, and I didn't need to remove the wheel. Didn't zip tie the plastic case yet, but will when I can find one, so that the fix is more permanent.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #25
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
I wouldn't trust the Blackstone too much. It could be you have already worn through the lead and coper layers of the bearings. With this engine, that mileage and the fact that it hasn't been in your possession since new I would bite the bullet and spend the 1-2k on the rod bearings depending on if you dyi or have a shop do it.
Agree JimBob... rod bearings are on the list for this spring! May DIY it, but since my only lift is a quickjack, I'm not 100% yet. Think I would have enough room to drop the pan??
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #26
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
Agree JimBob... rod bearings are on the list for this spring! May DIY it, but since my only lift is a quickjack, I'm not 100% yet. Think I would have enough room to drop the pan??
I have no idea. I had my buddies shop GT PEACE Automotive in Chantilly, VA do the work. Be sure to change the motor mounts, mount arm bolts and do the VAC upgraded oil pump sprocket gear while your in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:22 AM   #27
MadGus
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
Well, she now has 58k miles on her. Still am totally loving this car!

Work completed to date (in addition to what I shared earlier in the thread):

-replaced alternator and serpentine belts
-replaced windshield cowl
-new BMW badges all around
-20w angel eye bulb upgrade
-flushed transmission
-flushed brake fluid
-replaced cabin air filter
-replaced right side headlight ballast, bulb and rear access door and seal (water got in from the rear seal)
-Michelin PS4 tires on the rear
-alignment

-purchased (but have not installed) B6 shocks and struts to install when I replace front tires over the winter
-purchased crush washers to flush power steering fluid (will do this on next oil change)

That's about it for now... have done all of this work myself (except for the alignment of course). Never really turned a wrench before buying this car... should have learned how to do this stuff years ago (YouTube and this forum are both huge helps).
Appreciate 0