ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-04-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
theothegrey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Rocks in the Airbox

Last weekend I wanted to check out the airbox in the car. The car is new to me and I bought it with 125k miles on it. Overall, the interior, exterior, and the engine bay are super clean. It was detailed before I took delivery.

So I opened it up and found that the previous owner installed a K&N Air Filter. I’ve never used one so that was a cool find. But after lifting it out I discovered that the airbox was filled with a bunch of little colored rocks. I took one out and started searching online to see if this was some oddball mod. I figured if someone went through the trouble of an aftermarket filter, the rocks must have been placed there on purpose. Nothing.

I showed it to my wife. This had me perplexed. “Those aren’t rocks. That’s dog food!”

Of course it was dog food. We’re not pet owners but she has taken care of our friends dogs. So, I googled "dog food in airbox." Much to my to dismay, I discovered a lot of references online. The likely culprit? Mice…

So I pulled out the airbox and sprayed it with SuperClean, hosed it thoroughly, and let dry before reinstalling. Problem solved.

But then I started wondering. Could the mice have holed up anywhere else around the car? So, I went back to check with a flashlight, under the car, around the front lights, under the car. A definite plus of the Z4 is roomy engine bay. You can see a lot.

Then, I found this - dried leaves coming out of the hole beneath the windshield wiper. I tugged on it and a lot more leaves fell out!

I walked around to the other side of the car to get a better angle. I saw white cotton stuffing.

Tonight I had some more time to work on the car and decided to remove the windshield cowl. It’s old and brittle and needs replacing anyways. This is what I found after removing it.

I cleaned it out. Took out a bagful of leaves and stuffing. Sprayed it with alcohol. Shop vac. Cleaned it some more with a waterless wash. It looks pretty good now.

So this has been my introduction to my Z4. I love the car. It’s been so much fun to drive. I’m looking forward to some road trips. And on top of all of that, I now have a bizarre story to tell that started with finding “rocks in the airbox."

Last edited by theothegrey; 12-07-2018 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-05-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

CRAZY!
      12-05-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

That's pretty funny. At least it looks like the little bugger didn't chew up any wiring.
I guess access to dog food kept it well fed and happy.
      12-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Wow, you truly can't make this stuff up. Glad to hear there is no apparent damage and consider getting a cat to patrol your garage!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Yeah- I tried the dog food mod but my car growled alot lol! Glad u got it sorted out.
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      12-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

How the hell would they have gotten that into the airbox? was there more dog food around where they were sleeping? (under the cowl?) Wow, amazing story

Oh and welcome!!
      12-06-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Obviously the air box was the pantry, the cowl was the bedroom.
Uh, Oh, you've yet to find the loo.
      12-06-2018, 04:11 AM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Obviously the air box was the pantry, the cowl was the bedroom.
Uh, Oh, you've yet to find the loo.
Indeed lol.

I too have had evidence of mice in the airbox. Fortunately they didn't chew through the air filter or any wiring. I check every couple of months especially in winter.

I can't find if now but we had a guy here who had mice putting dog food in the exhaust system, while got machine gunned out and created quite a bit of stink.

"You have mice"
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #9
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

I get actual rocks in mine...about the same size as your kibble, but I guess they’re from all the little bits of stone that get thrown up from my motorway commutes.

Reminds you why you really need a filter on there - imagine if rocks/kibble got into the intake chamber
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #10
theothegrey
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Thanks for the responses, haha! Hilarious! I'm laughing at this now but I was pretty stressed out when I first found the dog food and the nest.

I've looked a few more times and haven't found any mice droppings nor signs of chewing damage. I imagine the dog food kept them content as Vanne mentioned. I didn't find any other food there. They really did keep food and bedroom separate. I did fine a ball-point pen under the cowl but I have a feeling that was left by a tech.

The car spent all of it's life in Georgia. I bought it and had it shipped to Texas. Thankfully, we don't have any problems with mice where I live. I deal with wasps a lot but that's another story.

I'm curious if any of you use K&N Filters. Mine looks pretty clean so I'll probably keep it for now. Didn't see any fur or hair on it!

Last edited by theothegrey; 12-06-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      12-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I have the K&N. Works great.
I clean and re-oil it about every other oil change.
      12-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
abelgonzaleZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 SilvrConvert 3.0i

Lmfao!!! 🤣🤣🤣
Great story and the pictures help!!

Thanks for Sharing 👍🏻👍🏻
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:15 PM   #13
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

That's an awesome story - welcome to the community, and thank you for taking the time to document your intro!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:57 AM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I bought my Z4 4 years ago in December 2014 from.... CarMax. It was a 2008 with only 23,000 miles, so it sat a lot. In June 2015 I was replacing the engine airfilter. Found the air box half-full of mouse nest. News paper, rags, etc., none of which came from my house; my cars sit under a carport 80 feet from the house.

Never buy a car from CarMax, they are full of BS just like any other used car dealer, they just look legit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0