ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

First long road trip in the Z

Just home after driving the Z4 from Denver to the Grand Canyon. 16 hours of amazing mountain twisty's and straightaway’s all the way to the horizon. All of it on narrow 2 way roads.

But I gotta say, If you can't at least maintain the speed limit, you need to pull out and let those who can, go by. whether its the law or not!

And also, there’s nothing like having the power to get around an idiot who won’t pull out, and the chicken (or 2) that won’t go around him.

I began looking forward getting held up so I could downshift into 5th and hit the gas, this little 3.0si jumps at the chance to leave people slack jawed and pointing as you whip around them in a passing zone. Man that was fun.

On a side note, the Grand Canyon is an amazing hole in the ground, but the real treat was top down driving through Colorado mountains and Sterling Canyon between Flagstaff and Sedona AZ.
      08-01-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Just spent a day in the Sierras driving. Totally agree on the pull over aspect. Seems there are two types: 1.) "I'm going fast enough and so are you" types; 2.) Zombie/oblivious. Both are equally annoying.

Sounds like a great drive and these cars shine on the back roads and twisties! The Grand Canyon is impressive. But wow, it must have been hot!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:54 AM   #3
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Just spent a day in the Sierras driving. Totally agree on the pull over aspect. Seems there are two types: 1.) "I'm going fast enough and so are you" types; 2.) Zombie/oblivious. Both are equally annoying.

Sounds like a great drive and these cars shine on the back roads and twisties! The Grand Canyon is impressive. But wow, it must have been hot!
Great thing about Arizona, If you don't like the weather, drive 20 miles. Literally goes from 90 degrees at the Grand Canyon to 80 in Flagstaff, then 72 in Sterling Canyon and all the way up to 104 Sedona,

Total distance between the Grand canyon and Sedona - 111 miles.
      08-02-2014, 02:49 AM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
Great thing about Arizona, If you don't like the weather, drive 20 miles. Literally goes from 90 degrees at the Grand Canyon to 80 in Flagstaff, then 72 in Sterling Canyon and all the way up to 104 Sedona,

Total distance between the Grand canyon and Sedona - 111 miles.
Ah, I see! That's the same reason we left the foothills yesterday. Crazy hot! This heat from this picture was taken 20 miles away from us towards the central valley, it's about 10 degrees cooler here in the foothills, and 30 degrees cooler at 7,000 feet or so. I'll keep the same in mind for AZ!

Good to see you enjoying the car, it's abilities, and the fun it can bring on a road trip! Any pics?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 01:09 AM   #5
beatmania
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 325 / 2008 Z4 3.0si

Sounds like a lot of fun! Congrats on a successful road trip. Totally agreed on the pull around part. There is just too many idiot drivers on the road that don't pay respect to other road users and wasting everybody's time.

My E85 is mechanically identical to yours. 2007 3.0si roady. Stepping out of corner in 2th and 3rd gear with full throttle are mind-blowing. This little N52 3 liter box is more than enough for any public road use.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 07:31 AM   #6
gas-can
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0i Roadster

That sounds lovely WAM. What were the speed limits like? On this side of the country, we have Shenandoah Valley - gorgeous road, but the speed limit is 25- and the cops are mean.

Regarding the idiots that hog the left lane- you should see drivers from Virginia and DC. I've though about hanging off one of these from the car and flashing rude signs at them

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/d138/

But I guess pissing off other drivers from an open top car is dangerous

-gc
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

awesome, that gets me going for my next road trip… gotta start planning..