ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Inspection I/II Long Term Schedule

How are folks handling these service intervals long term? When annual mileage was closer to 10-12k I was following a 15K/30K interval for the inspection I and II services.

Now that mileage is closer to 4K annually should I alternate inspections annually or is that overkill? Car is still taken to the track 3+ days a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

I don’t see any reason to base the inspections on anything but mileage. My Z4MC has had the valves “adjusted” every 15k mi, and no shims were needed on the last 2. So lots of time and money to learn “it’s all good!”
Now, certainly fluids (brake, oil, coolant) can warrant replacement based on time, but pretty much everything else is most rationally tied to mileage.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 08:07 AM   #3
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
I don’t see any reason to base the inspections on anything but mileage. So lots of time and money to learn “it’s all good!”
Glad to hear it! This is the adage I have been following and so far so good. Fluids are cheap and I flush the engine oil spring/fall and address brake, MT, diff, coolant, etc. at bi-annual intervals unless otherwise merited.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #4
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Zed View Post
Glad to hear it! This is the adage I have been following and so far so good. Fluids are cheap and I flush the engine oil spring/fall and address brake, MT, diff, coolant, etc. at bi-annual intervals unless otherwise merited.
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan. Brake fluid should definitely be addressed with time since it absorbs water regardless of how much you drive it. The diff and transmission would probably be fine to wait if the car stayed on the street. But with track use, they should be changed regularly. Only thing I'd add is checking the suspension bushings, driveshafts and and steering rack before each track day.