ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > BMW Z4 Photos, Photoshops, Videos and other Media
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #1
ChrisPiascik
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0

ChrisPYeahSick's Z4 3.0i build

Last summer I purchased this one-owner, 2004 Z4 3.0i, 6 speed manual, with the M-Sport suspension, and premium audio options. I was originally looking to buy an MX-5 of the same generation to be my daily driver. I have a first generation MX-5 that I track and autocross and decided that I wanted my daily to not be a completely different driving experience. It also occurred to me that there was no reason for me to have a "practical" car, as my wife and I both mainly work from home, and she has a hatchback. Anyway, during my search I stumbled upon this Z4 and decided I'd check it out, mostly thinking I'd rule it out... obviously that didn't happen. I bought it and I love it.

My Miata will remain my track and autocross car, but I'll likely take the Z4 out once in a while.

As soon as I got her I had some maintenance things to address before anything else:

-Replaced engine mounts
-front strut mounts w/ caps
-VANOS oil feed line
-oil filter housing gasket
-oil pan gasket
-brake rotors and pads
-rear struts
-rear strut mounts w/ ECS mount reinforcements
-rear bumpstops
-oil + filter
Attached Images

04-13-2020, 09:06 AM   #2
ChrisPiascik
United_States
Rep

Since this is my daily driver and I live in an area with snow I decided to use the stock wheels for my winter setup and purchased winter tires for those. I bought a set of Kosei K1's for my summer set up. In my experience with racing stuff I know how big of a difference weight reduction can make. This wheel set up is saving me 47lbs of rotational mass, which is MASSive.

The winter setup (Falken Eurowinter's) was pretty solid, however the traction control system is terrible in the snow. The car is almost immobile one certain situations. If you have to stop and start on a hill in the snow the traction control wouldn't even let me move in some situations. I discovered that I was better off turning it off completely and letting the winter tires do their job. That said, running without any of that really highlights the lack of an LSD... more on that coming soon...

Also: the stock wheels were a bit curbed, so I decided to paint them black. The trunk lid also had a small dent right on the top corner where it reaches the back... that's one of my favorite parts of the car's design so I was not happy about that. I decided to take a chance on this ebay carbon fiber lip spoiler. It took forever to get here but the quality is pretty solid. It hides the dent, and Is still subtle enough for me.
Attached Images

04-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #3
ChrisPiascik
United_States
Rep

When I bought the car the Nav screen was not working properly. The backlighting didn't work so it was impossible to see in most light. Also it rattled a bit. I wasn't too worried because I knew it was an old system and thought I'd just get rid of it and swap in a new headunit... that has proved to be way more of a headache than I anticipated.

I bought a Grom Audio adapter to use my phone, the whole DSP thing was super confusing and I ended up getting it to work without the adapter because I couldn't figure out how to connect the adapter. This doesn't make sense to me because I didn't think it would work without the adapter... my iPhone connects and charges via USB but I can't figure out the Bluetooth, but as long as it works this much I'm ok. The only thing I miss is being able to answer the phone and hear it through the stereo.

I pulled the Nav screen out because the rattling was driving me crazy. Since I only use my iPhone for music the lack of a display on the Nav headunit wasn't the end of the world. I assumed there would be a pocket to fit where the Nav was, but to my dismay I discovered the non-Nav option cars don't have a hole at all... maybe I'll find one of those someday.

I thought I read the X3 one would work so I ordered one. It doesn't fit.

I ended up making a "temporary" patch for the time being...

I looked into getting a new headunit but was told it wouldn't work with my premium audio stuff. Part of me thought, that amp and subs are just adding weight anyway! But the other part of me has been enjoying having a great stereo system for the first time.

I found a business headunit from an '03 with premium audio and figured that would at least let me see the settings on the stereo. That seemed to work perfectly, except my iPhone wouldn't connect anymore... no idea why. Instead of giving up I ordered the aux input for the business radio, but that didn't work for some reason either. So... I put the stock one back in.

Oof.
      04-13-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
ChrisPiascik
United_States
Rep

I sold one of my motorcycles and decided to splurge on an LSD. I bought one from Diffsonline and went with the 3.64 gearing over the stock 3.07. I'm used to tight ratio'd sports cars and the gearing on the Z4 felt a bit lazy to me. Also, I try to not go much above 80 on the highway and the low rpms up that high made it deceptively easy to go much faster than that without knowing.

The 3.65 gearing provided an increase of 18.6% torque as a result of the torque multiplication in the gear ratio change. And wow, that is a huge difference. This thing rips now.

At the same time I swapped in some H&R sport springs. I can't wait to get this diff fully broken in to really try it out.

Also: my stock grill was cracked so I took a gamble on this ebay one with the M stripes and I was pleasantly surprised with the quality. Fits perfect and I think it looks great. I also got a BMWCCA grill badge since I've been a member for a while even though this is my first BMW (aside from a mini) because I race with their club.
Attached Images

04-13-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Car looks great Chris, it really does, those wheels are perfect and match the paintwork.

Very very nice.
On the hole on the dash, there IS a glove box thingy that fits in there, but I've ever only seen one. (and maybe i was dreaming or saw something that someone made as a one off.)
The only thing i am not a fan of is those M-Colour things on the nose vent, but thats just me, this is your car, so if you like it, good on you!

Ride height is set perfectly too. very nice mate. top notch!