ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 COUPE

2007 Z4 M Coupe Vs 3.0si Coupe Exterior Dimensions

hi, going into uncharted territory here, im more familiarized with e92 sepcs, and am looking to replace with 2007+ z4 coupe...i was wondering though, if there is a difference in exterior body dimensions between m and non m coupes. i know for the 3 series coupe the m is wider at the fenders. is there such a body dimension difference between m and non-m z's? i got these specs on line but would rather get input from actual owners.

also are m and non m frot and rear bumpers interchangeable for for 2007+? i like the m front

feel free to add any insights, tia

2008 3.0SI
Overall Length (in) 161.9
Overall Width (in) 70.1
Overall Height (in) 49.9
Wheelbase (in) 98.2

VS

2007 z4 m coupe
Wheelbase (in) 98.3
Length, Overall (in) 161.9
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in) 70.1
Height, Overall (in) 50.7
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

good choice in vehicle....the e8* M's do not have wider fenders as the m6 doesn't either. and yes the bumpers are interchangeable. The only concern would be the dual exhaust. For the negligible price difference I would definitely pick up the M. The only drawback to the M would be the higher maintenance costs and mpg

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #3
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep

great info, thanks..mpg not too concerned with...how different is maintanence on an m vs non m? they are both n/a..sorry noob to m's as well, also they say for daily driving the 3.0si is a better choice..this will be a daily driver. what are they referring to when making that statment? maintanence $? ride comfort? difference in price overall?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i'll tell you this. i have a 3.0si coupe. love the car but i regret not spending the extra grand to get the m coupe. not only does it look and perform better but just knowing they'll never produce another M car in the Z-series makes it that much more desirable!

if you can afford it, definitely go for the m coupe. the 3.0si has such limited aftermarket options too. yes, the mileage is great and it's enough to get em around town but it's just not the same. the only other advice is if you are in the market, get a car WITHOUT navi. the navi is old, from e46/x3 era and it blows chunks. makes the car feel so antiquated. plus no navi has a cleaner interior look in my opinion.
      04-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808six View Post
great info, thanks..mpg not too concerned with...how different is maintanence on an m vs non m? they are both n/a..sorry noob to m's as well, also they say for daily driving the 3.0si is a better choice..this will be a daily driver. what are they referring to when making that statment? maintanence $? ride comfort? difference in price overall?
The 3.0si has a more pliant suspension than the M, and it doesn't require the periodic valve adjustments that S54B32 engine does.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
towski1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i & 08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
i'll tell you this. i have a 3.0si coupe. love the car but i regret not spending the extra grand to get the m coupe. not only does it look and perform better but just knowing they'll never produce another M car in the Z-series makes it that much more desirable!

if you can afford it, definitely go for the m coupe. the 3.0si has such limited aftermarket options too. yes, the mileage is great and it's enough to get em around town but it's just not the same. the only other advice is if you are in the market, get a car WITHOUT navi. the navi is old, from e46/x3 era and it blows chunks. makes the car feel so antiquated. plus no navi has a cleaner interior look in my opinion.
I agree that the nav looks anitquated, but I've been pleasantly surprised by mine. I was trying to find a car without the nav, but found the right car that happened to have it. The routing is faster than I expected and you can always program the screen to stay shut on start up if you'd like. The biggest residual benefit is that having the nav screen makes browsing through your phonebook and adjusting the DSP very easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

The nav isn't worth all that hate, and navigation isn't the only thing the screen is used for. Get the latest update, maybe the modified one that adds a night color set, acquire the latest maps (new discs as of this month) and it's fine. At least it's not idrive that takes over the whole car.
      04-21-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
The 3.0si has a more pliant suspension than the M, and it doesn't require the periodic valve adjustments that S54B32 engine does.
What he said...you won't go wrong w/ either...although I think my wifes lci e90 is a great car all around especially for a daily...just get the 328i if you don't want to deal with the issues in the n54. You didn't state why you were changing...

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
UncleScottie
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si Coupe w/Sport Package

Quote:
.... also they say for daily driving the 3.0si is a better choice..this will be a daily driver. what are they referring to when making that statment?....
It depends on which 3.0si you're talking about. The somewhat rare base suspension car with 17" wheels or the Sport package car with firmer suspension and 18" wheels?

The base suspension 3.0si is definitely a better ride than the Sport package cars. Between a Sport package 3.0si and M Coupe the reviews seem split.

One reason for the split is that the conventional tires of the M Coupe have a much better ride quality than the Bridgestone run-flats that come on the non-M Z4 coupes. The firmer suspension and 18" wheel size of the Sport package cars only makes this worse. I have seen one or two magazine/on-line review blurps where the M Coupe's ride was preferred to the 3.0si with Sport package mainly because of the tires.

The other significant difference between the M and 3.0si coupes is the steering. The M has the tried and true hydraulic assist and the 3.0si has electric assist. I believe the Z4 was BMW's first forray into Electric Power Steering (EPS) and it shows. The steering (feel/communication/feedback) of the non-M cars is not what one would expect from BMW. And the Sport button does nothing to help in my opinion.

Reading many recent reviews of 3 series cars, it does sound like BMW is starting to get EPS figured out. It would be nice if we could implement those improvements on our cars, but I have yet see any such posts in any of the forums.

If you truely want a daily driver driver's car you should consider a newer 3 series coupe and or a used Porsche Cayman or Cayman S. At least test drive a couple of them and form your own opinion.

Having had my 3.0si Sport package car for two years now. The only thing that puts a smile on my face is its looks and the engine. BMW fell short on the rest of what makes a car a driver's car.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
808six
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleScottie View Post
It depends on which 3.0si you're talking about. The somewhat rare base suspension car with 17" wheels or the Sport package car with firmer suspension and 18" wheels?

The base suspension 3.0si is definitely a better ride than the Sport package cars. Between a Sport package 3.0si and M Coupe the reviews seem split.

One reason for the split is that the conventional tires of the M Coupe have a much better ride quality than the Bridgestone run-flats that come on the non-M Z4 coupes. The firmer suspension and 18" wheel size of the Sport package cars only makes this worse. I have seen one or two magazine/on-line review blurps where the M Coupe's ride was preferred to the 3.0si with Sport package mainly because of the tires.

The other significant difference between the M and 3.0si coupes is the steering. The M has the tried and true hydraulic assist and the 3.0si has electric assist. I believe the Z4 was BMW's first forray into Electric Power Steering (EPS) and it shows. The steering (feel/communication/feedback) of the non-M cars is not what one would expect from BMW. And the Sport button does nothing to help in my opinion.

Reading many recent reviews of 3 series cars, it does sound like BMW is starting to get EPS figured out. It would be nice if we could implement those improvements on our cars, but I have yet see any such posts in any of the forums.

If you truely want a daily driver driver's car you should consider a newer 3 series coupe and or a used Porsche Cayman or Cayman S. At least test drive a couple of them and form your own opinion.

Having had my 3.0si Sport package car for two years now. The only thing that puts a smile on my face is its looks and the engine. BMW fell short on the rest of what makes a car a driver's car.
appreciate your HONEST unbiased review, very refreshing
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
UncleScottie
Private
Rep

Quote:
appreciate your HONEST unbiased review, very refreshing

I'm a car guy working my way up the Driver's car food chain. I'm loyal to no badge.

'70 BMW 2002, '95 Neon ACR, '99 Impreza 2.5RS, '02 Impreza WRX, '04 S2000, '07 Z4 3.0si Coupe w/Sport Package. Though the Z4 was not really a step up in hindsight versus the S2000.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
i agree with scottie's assesment. i love the car, mainly for it's truly unique looks and the solid n/a motor. however, the one thing that i don't like is the steering response, it's way too loose. interestingly enough i drove my friend's e90 330i which was the total opposite.
      04-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The steering feel (or lack thereof) is what ended the si's chances with me. I was unsure about the Z4 until I drove the M which has great steering. I also came from an 06 S2K which had nice electric steering IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2010, 06:42 AM   #14
UncleScottie
Private
Rep

Yes, I plan to go test some of the newer 3 series cars. They seem to be getting good reviews for both steering and ride despite having EPS and run flat tires.

If BMW is starting to get EPS figured out, one would think such programming of the EPS control module could be applied to our cars. However, I suspect it may be more than just programming that makes the steering on the 3 series better. Of course this is the wrong forum to get into all the things that affect steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

I love my m, but I don't know if I could daily drive it. After a long weekend in it, I have to admit it is sometimes refreshing to be able to relax in the e30.

Never driven the 3.0 so I can't compare.