ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Exclamation Careful ordering from Bimmerworld!!

So I go online at the Bimmerworld website to order a new thermostat, some adjustable end links and a new oil cooler.
put my details in and then pay with my Visa credit card. Which I then see has deducted the said funds from my account. cool!

NOT!!

I get an email from Patrick (accounts department Bimmerworld) saying they can't verify my credit card, and if I want to go ahead with my purchase, they require immediate payment in either a bank wire transfer or PayPal.

Wait! what!!?? you've already deducted the funds from my account.!!! (I have my account statement that states that they already took the funds)

So I go, "but I've already payed you guys, I have a statement where it shows you guys have deducted the funds from my account!"

yeah , NO!! require immediate payment , unless we cancel your order...

what???

so I go " But I've ordered from you guys before, no issues, using the EXACT SAME credit card!!" ..

No, you have to pay again, using wire transfer or PayPal..

Now this starts to shit me and I say I want a refund before paying with the other options as YOU ALREADY HAVE MY MONEY!! (there might have been a FCUKING! in between "my and money"...

He (Pat) says "ok, ive made a refund to your account of the said funds, now please pay, or we cancel the order."

I go "But my bank says the amount hasn't been deposited back??"

Oh Pat goes on to say that "It will only take 3 days.."

Cool, so I go "Okies , ill wait till the cash is back in my account..."

Thats a MONTH AGO!!! , no funds have been deposited back into my account.. Ive since obviously canceled my order with them, but still waiting for my payment to be refunded on my credit card.

Been emailing them backwards and forwards about their lousy service, and they say that as far as they are concerned have issued a refund, but still nothing in my account..

NICE!

careful who you order through guys, just a heads up. (while I am still waiting for my funds to return to my account.)

Last edited by Vanne; 03-02-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #2
EMKOOP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Sorry to hear about that Vanne.

Hope everything works out for you soon
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      03-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with BW.

Considering the purchase was made using a Credit Card, I would suggest calling the Issuer's fraud department and filing a claim. If the merchant cannot provide proof that the item(s) was shipped and received by the purchaser, then the funds will be reimbursed. This should be a pretty quick process, too. Hope that helps!
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17303.00
Vanne1620.50
RDMZ4M19.00
      03-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azeka1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your bad experience with BW.

Considering the purchase was made using a Credit Card, I would suggest calling the Issuer's fraud department and filing a claim. If the merchant cannot provide proof that the item(s) was shipped and received by the purchaser, then the funds will be reimbursed. This should be a pretty quick process, too. Hope that helps!
I agree with this. And your warning is duly noted and I won’t be purchasing anything from these folks ever. This totally sucks - I hope you get your money back soon.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-05-2019 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      03-03-2019, 11:24 AM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Dispute the charges with your credit card company. Order somewhere else.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Vanne1620.50
      03-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Ouch, that's an ugly story.

I much prefer to order from vendors who take PayPal. That way, you don't have to expose your personal credit card info to them. Even better - Apple Pay. Very secure. Not aware of any of the automotive vendors accepting it yet though. Very cool on websites that do accept it.
      03-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Bummer. Never would have imagined Bimmerworld operates from Nigeria.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
I had an ordeal with BW as well after I purchased an Epic tune on their Black Friday sale.

Originally purchased with VISA, billed to my Canadian address but shipped to my US address (quite common for us close to the border). They emailed me shortly after with the same note saying I would need to pay via wire transfer or PayPal with verified address because it was my first order and the Billing/Shipping addresses did not match. Not wanting the hassle or cost of a wire transfer, and since my PayPal verified address is my Canadian address, I conceded and chose to change my shipping address to my Canadian address (thus my shipping/billing address matched) so I could keep my payment on VISA.

Well, nope. Got an email back now saying they would still need payment via wire transfer or PayPal with verified address because it's a first time International order. Like cool, you have your policies but why do they seem to be changing with each email? At this point I'm getting fed up and feeling like they don't want my money. I made a post about it on M3Forum and was largely flamed because everybody else had a great experience with BW so my experience was invalid. Because of the positive reviews I had heard about them I chose to push through, and just paid via PayPal (since I was now shipping to Canada my verified address is correct).

Then they try and rip me off on shipping, saying it's an extra $70 USD to ship to Canada. I go online and try to checkout with a new order and see that they actually offer a $50 option to my address. I screenshot that and send it to them, and they honour it. Keep in mind I'm still being ripped off because this is $50 to ship a ~4x4x4" box holding on the tuning cable. My questions about the value of the shipment (so I can prepare for the duties/taxes across the border) were ignored multiple times and they just shipped.

About a week later the box arrives, and they valued/insure the shipment at $1,100 rather than the $125 it should be since they only ship the cable and the tune is delivered by email between myself and Epic, not through BW. So it was an extra few hundred dollars in border fees. I complained about this on their Facebook page because was majorly pissed off at this point. Up until this moment I was dealing with the same person you were (Patrick G.), and was not impressed.

Fast forward a few weeks and I get an email and voicemail, both sincere and long-winded, from a James, saying he read my Facebook review, apologized, and explained what happened from their end (fraud prevention policies, lack of knowledge on international shipment valuations, and Patrick being "new" and in-training). He said they looked into it further and agreed that I was correct and they mis-valued the package and sent a refund for the difference in fees I paid to the border.

I had a good feeling from James, he legitimately seemed apologetic and concerned for customer satisfaction, very sincere. Because of that I took down my review and amended the post of M3Forum. But I have to say because of the whole ordeal and interaction with Patrick, I'm definitely going to think long and hard before I give them any more money.

It seems like if you're a US customer, they're a viable source, but if you're International there's a few more hoops to jump through compared to other vendors. I've spent $1000's on ECS/Turner and even though they have a terrible reputation, I've had nothing but great experiences and never had this hassle.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I have some experience from the vendors end, believe it or not.

International shipping is a nightmare. There's just no way around it.

I recall having to turn multiple customers away and tell them to buy one of our products through a Canadian retailer because, frankly, it's too much hassle. Customs, shipping, and a variety of other issues basically makes it an extra full time employee just to deal with CANADIAN orders, not just international orders, if we have more than handful of orders in a day. You have to have your border's custom form in order and in the box or else don't ever expect the package to be delivered.

It took us about $10,000 worth of custom dev work on the web ordering back-end (gotta love NetSuite in its infancy) back in the mid 200x's to get just the Canadian order working. Forget international across seas. It was getting to a point that it cost more to ship the product overseas than the product, and we're talking about $300+ here. No matter how willing the customer is, the directive from up top is, if it's international, recommend them to buy local even though it can be cheaper for the customer to buy directly from us, even with the shipping sometimes. Especially with new products that haven't been fed through international distribution yet.

Suffice to say, our shipping manager eventually figured out all the details and worked out a good workflow to get international orders out the door. It basically added nearly 20% to my bottom line annually and it was just too big to ignore. Even then, every board meeting I had to explain to the PTB WHY International Orders take as much time and effort as domestic orders to fulfill, when it only comprises of about 20% of all my sales.

Fast forward nearly a decade, and the problem hasn't gotten significantly better. The systems may be in place to process and fulfill the orders more efficiently, but the HUMAN aspect of it doesn't improve. If you're not trained to deal with international shipping and customs issues, you're going to struggle fulfilling an international order for sure.

And that doesn't even begin to touch on the significantly higher rate of fraudulent orders or the process of returns or refused shipment. Again, 20% of our orders at the time, almost 80% of our "problem" orders. We eventually got it all sorted out, but man...The time/money/Human Resources spent on it was disproportionally large compared to the revenue it was generating.

On that front, that's why I recommend disputing with your credit card company. We used to get that a lot. It was far easier for a disgruntled customer to dispute the charge, but far harder for us to deal with. Our accounting department keeps track of all disputed charges, because, at the time, once we past a certain threshold of disputes the bank puts additional processing fees on our orders. I got slapped on the wrist so many times by accounting it wasn't even funny. I always get the cross eyes from the accounts receivables lady during our Monday status meeting. But you as a customer want to resolve an order dispute? Nothing gets accounting off their asses faster than a credit card chargeback dispute, because it creates a nightmare scenario for them. Accounting would have to provide a long string of documentation to the bank, then wait for the bank to "investigate," and in the end it's almost always decided to the customer's favor 99% of the time. If you're not happy with the service, received the wrong parts, or never received the part at all, unless we have UPS/FedEx with your signature on it, the bank will almost always decide in the customer's favor. And again, rack up enough chargeback disputes, instead of paying 3.5% processing fee, you're looking at 4%, and that 0.5% applied to your overall sales? HUNDREDS of thousands of dollars lost, potentially.

Doesn't excuse the poor customer service though.

But you can bet your sweet behind that the customer service rep or sales guy that's responsible for the most charge disputes end up getting laid off or fired quickly, even if their other job performances are satisfactory or even above expectations.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
M-Cast707.50
      03-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #10
ZMCoupe
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Wow those are some pretty bad stories! I have ordered from them before and received my items but was also hit with high fees, taxes and duties. But not nearly as bad as Rockstar93.... Glad you were able to recoup some of your over payment in the end.

Vanne I hope you get your refund soon, maybe reach out to this James that Rockstar mentioned and definitely file a dispute with Visa. I have had to file a dispute with them before and it was very quick and easy to do, with resolution within a week or so.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Correction - it was not James it was John "JB" Butler (jbutler at bimmerworld dot com).
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMCoupe View Post
maybe reach out to this James that Rockstar mentioned
That would be James Clay, the owner...a long time supporter of the BMW Club Racing scene and general all around good guy. They're obviously having some teething pains with international shipments.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      03-05-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
That would be James Clay, the owner...a long time supporter of the BMW Club Racing scene and general all around good guy. They're obviously having some teething pains with international shipments.
Agreed. Never had issues with BW and I know James is a stand-up guy. Just email him and give them a chance to figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
JamesClay
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3

Garage List
1996 320iT  [0.00]
2003 M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
2008 M3  [0.00]
James here. I don't know the details of these two and in no way could of all the transactions we have, but I can certainly have someone look into them - and any of our customers that aren't getting their needs met can escalate to a manager - probably the same as many other businesses in the world. We may not be able to meet everyone's needs, but we run a good honest business and if we can't then we don't take your money either.

For the OP, that is very typical for a credit card purchase - what we had was an authorization (which we explained to you), but that does not give us your money - in fact it is a nice safety feature for you so you can know there is activity on your account in case there is fraud. We do have a fraud net here and sadly every year it becomes more important. Domestic orders make our fraud prevention much easier due to available information, but international orders are difficult and often won't go through, so we require alternate forms of payment that can't be reversed. And we cancel an authorization, but it is up to the bank to release it - and when they do it is like it never happened - you don't pay interest on the money for the span of the authorization. We do request alternate payment, and if we can't get it and the fraud net hasn't been cleared, then we have no choice but to cancel an order, but it certainly isn't an immediate thing, and we certainly don't treat customers trying to trade their hard-earned money for goods and services without respect or a bit of effort to resolve the situation.

Anyway, we will revisit this order and certainly find the lost money, but I would be shocked if we have it - I don't even think our system would allow us to have a paid unshipped order. Sorry for the hassles.

And thanks for our customers that spoke up for us - we do try hard. Goes a long way to balance out the guys that love to pile on with no actual experience. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 6
Azeka1285.50
StickMon636.00
Hawkeye2069.50
wdb4721.50
Molez9366.00
      03-05-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thanks for responding Clay, I really appreciate it mate. It actually completely blew me away when Pat emailed saying they weren't going to ship the order after the money actually left my account, regardless of where it then goes, as all I know it's not in my account, and that's AFTER I had ordered from your store before last year and there were absolutely zero issues using the exact same credit card. Even gave my mates here a bunch of your hats saying what a great shop you guys ran.

I am not sure where the stuff up is,, I just know the cash isn't in my account and then your accounts department (Pat) telling me to print out the email stating that you have refunded my money just isn't good enough. Will take me a trip to the bank , wait there for over an hour and then try to explain what is going on. That's not my job and I sure as hell don't want to spend my time (which I sure as hell don't have enough off, as I work my ass off way to much) chasing up money that I payed for an order (now over a bloody month ago) and never shipped. So now I have no order and still money missing in my account.

Sorry mate, but that's just not good enough. Thanks for looking into it Clay, really appreciate it.

Cheers