ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #23
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
My thought is that it gets as cold or colder in Germany and they still suggested 10W60 there so I tend to trust that recommendation. I'm pretty careful not to go >40% throttle or >3k RPM until the oil is fully warmed up, and I'm fortunate enough that on the stupid cold days I'm able to leave the car parked on a tender and borrow a car from work.

That said I'm not sure the 10W50 or 10W40 weights would net any benefit. If you were to change viscosity I think a 5W50 or 5W40 would bring more cold temperature benefits - though I would be careful not to push the car as hard even when fully warmed up, especially with a 5W40.

The issue with what BMW and for that reason other manufacturers know is that at the end of the day once the warranty is gone they don't give a s**t. And the car will get to 80K even with 0W-20.

They changed the recommended oil on the BMW F10 M5 from 10W-60 on release to 5W-40 later. Not quite sure even they know.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #24
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPower View Post
The issue with what BMW and for that reason other manufacturers know is that at the end of the day once the warranty is gone they don't give a s**t. And the car will get to 80K even with 0W-20.

They changed the recommended oil on the BMW F10 M5 from 10W-60 on release to 5W-40 later. Not quite sure even they know.

Cheers
The S54 was originally specced with 5W30 from BMW (on the early E46 M3). After the rod bearing recall they updated the spec to 10W60. Personally I feel more comfortable with 10W60. I know a bunch of people (mostly in E9X M3's) that switched to 5W50 and swear by it, but I've also read a bunch of articles and reports saying 10W60 is superior. It's all risk aversion IMO, and rod bearings are in the future regardless of oil choice.

The S63 in the M5 also only revs to 7200rpm (earlier versions even less), and cost of ownership might have a play in that switch + the change to Shell as the oil supplier.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #25
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
The S54 was originally specced with 5W30 from BMW (on the early E46 M3). After the rod bearing recall they updated the spec to 10W60. Personally I feel more comfortable with 10W60. I know a bunch of people (mostly in E9X M3's) that switched to 5W50 and swear by it, but I've also read a bunch of articles and reports saying 10W60 is superior. It's all risk aversion IMO, and rod bearings are in the future regardless of oil choice.

The S63 in the M5 also only revs to 7200rpm (earlier versions even less), and cost of ownership might have a play in that switch + the change to Shell as the oil supplier.
I didn't even know about the 5W50 and S54. Good to know.

Oil manufacturer makes a difference. I experienced it with my Audi first hand. But let's put end to this conversation.

SO where we doing the spring cruise? Weather is going to get better by the time we vote. I vote Creemore! Quiet, nice roads, scenery and the beer at lunch time is unbeatable.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #26
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
SO where we doing the spring cruise? Weather is going to get better by the time we vote. I vote Creemore! Quiet, nice roads, scenery and the beer at lunch time is unbeatable.
If my car isn't in pieces by this cruise (coilovers, brakes mostly, and I cannot start till the car even comes back from storage), i would love to see other Z4Ms.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
Eau_Rouge111
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i and 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Quote:

I didn't even know about the 5W50 and S54. Good to know.

Oil manufacturer makes a difference. I experienced it with my Audi first hand. But let's put end to this conversation.

Love the idea of a lunch beer stop...will do my best to make it this yr...if we make it as far as parry sound...Trestle Brewing Company...some seriously good craft beers!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0