ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

What sort of voodoo/black magic/unicorn dust is THIS?!

You guys probably know I'm a Griot's Garage whore. I've got EVERYTHING they make, from washes, to polishes, to glazes, to sealants, to wax. Even my synthetic clay bar is from Griots.

Since both of my Corvette and MZ4 Coupe are garaged most of the time, they stay relatively clean, but with the amount of spring pollen and being close to a freeway, even in the garage the cars get dirty after a few weeks and the normal driving (or lack there of) that I do. Not to a point where I cringe when I see the car, but there's definitely a layer of dust and pollen that has settled on the paint.

My usual cleaning routine for both of these garage parked cars are, once a quarter they get washed, clayed, and waxed with Griot's Liquid Gloss Poly Wax. And they'll stay relatively clean since neither gets driven in the rain unless it's a track event. So in between the quarterly washes, they get the Speed Shine treatment. A quick spray and wipe down so they stay clean. I'll do this maybe twice between washes.

Well, I ran out of Speed Shine a while back. I was going to order a gallon of it on Griots, but noticed they have a new "detailer" product. Best of Show Detailer Spray. And it seems to get nearly universal rave reviews from a variety of vloggers and a slew of online resources.

And it's available at the local AUTOZONE.

I need to remind you all, I LOVE Speed Shine. I've used Speed Shine for over 15 years. It's my go-to for a wide variety of things, I use it for lubrication for clay bars. I use it to spray on Griot's Best of Show wax after application for ease of removal. I use it between washes to keep the cars clean. I use it for bird poop. It's amazing. One of the best quick detailers on the market, and I've gone through gallons and gallons of this stuff over the 15 plus year period. I've used it on ALL of my cars. It's the one product besides the Car Wash and Best of Show Wax that Griots have never really changed that I still use.

Well, I've since stopped using the BOS Wax and switched over to their Liquid Gloss Poly Wax. I've been using their Best of Show Car Wash rather than the original Car Wash for the most part, unless I want to really strip wax and go deep cleaning, which I do once a year (their Car Wax, when used at a higher concentration, does a wonderful job of deep cleaning).

Since I stopped using Speed Shine for lubrication for the Synthetic Clay (my new technique involves using the foam cannon to blast the car with a thick layer of soapy foam, wash, rinse off, then blast again with foam cannon and use that as lubrication for the Synthetic Clay), from what I've read the Best of Show Detailer Spray does what Speed Shine does (except lubricity for clay) and does it BETTER. So I had to get a bottle and try it out.

Mind you, I'm just a detailing enthusiast. I don't do this for a living. So when I use a product, I not only judge it by the end result, but the ease of use and the enjoyment I get out of the entire process. Some of the reviews mentioned that the product smells amazing. And they're right. I don't know how to describe it. It's not perfume like, but it's an amazing, pleasant smell. Not overwhelmingly sweet nor flowery. Just a smell that's sort of comforting? Almost a food like quality to it. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like lavender bath salt (don't laugh) or scented candle, but it smells like neither. The smell is definitely a huge step up from Speed Shine (don't get me wrong, Speed Shine doesn't smell bad. In fact, Speed Shine has a pleasant smell, but it does definitely smell like a cleaner wax).

The application in the cool garage in a 90+º day is easy, quick, and works just like Speed Shine. The MF towels lifts up and traps the dust, pollen, dirt and contaminants easily while the product gives it an excellent lubricity that none of the dust and dirt is dragged and grounded back into the paint. A quick wipe to lift the dirt, then flip the towel over and a quick, light buff takes off all the excess and leaves a clean surface behind.

But when I'm done, and took a step back, I was floored by the amazing SHINE. It's almost like I've just spent the last 8.5 hours washing, claying, polishing, and then 2 coats of LGPW. The pop and depth is excellent. In fact, I'd say it' just shy of the whole annual cleaning, because that usually has a glazing step added between the sealant and the wax. I don't know how long this will last, but man, for a 15 minute job, the result is incredible.

See for yourself. iPhone picture with zero retouching to boost shine and highlight, under fluorescent lighting.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Reborn_295.00
      04-18-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Looks fantastic! I've been quite happy with various Griots products over the years, including Speed Shine. Nothing quite like Interlagos with a great shine on it.
      04-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #3
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Glad to see another member as ocd with detailing...have been using griots products for quite some time. Every holiday for the last 9 years, I purchase my father a 200 dollar gift certificate for griots, and then sneak another in there for myself unbeknownst to the wife for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Nothing quite like Interlagos with a great shine on it.
True that. The Corvette is white and no amount of polishing, waxing, and detailing will make it pop like the MZ4 for sure.

Even though IRL the Corvette is just as clean and shiny, it just doesn't come across in pictures.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 04-18-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The garage lighting seems to help.. Interlagos is a funny color, sometimes difficult to photograph. I don't think mine looked that good after about 2008!
wdb4716.50
      04-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Ok, you convinced me. Just bought a bottle on amazon. Planning to wash the moupe this weekend and I’ll try this afterward.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #7
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
I'm a sucker for Meguiar's products, but I just may give this brand a try tomorrow if I find it at my local Autozone. IB is the best color for the Z4M!
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

My latest snake oil purchase. Haven't used it yet.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/bead...l#.XL9ZmyG6O00
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:06 AM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
My latest snake oil purchase. Haven't used it yet.
Who the hell is Renny Doyle? Some lot boy at the Pacoima Kia dealer?
      04-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've been a Griot's Garage fan since we bought my wife's 2011 335is Coupe and switched away from Meguiar's products. Since then I've used their products exclusively on my 2006 Interlagos Blue Z4 M Roadster (bought in 2012), my 2016 Sakhir Orange M4, and my wife's 2018 San Marino Blue M3. I've spent a few $thousand on their products in the last 8 years, including their random orbital buffer, their wash bucket, tons of MF towels and mitts, along with a bunch of other stuff.

I got a Ceramic Pro treatment on my M4 when it was new, then got it on my Z4 MR because it lives in the driveway, and now on my wife's M3. Now we just wash with their Car Wash, and dry with their PFM microfiber drying towel and Spray-On Wax, which keeps the cars looking shiny-as-new. No more semi-annual waxing and buffing! The Full Leather interiors are kept in great condition with their leather products, which also smell nice.

A couple of their other products which have proved really useful is their Bug & Smudge Remover to loosen up all the bugs accumulated on drives to the track, and their Track Spray to get rid of all of marks left by the clag and marbles that get bounced off the cars at the track.

Amazon regularly sells much of their product at various discounts (with Prime delivery), and a BMW CCA membership gets you a 15% discount on their liquid products if bought through the link on the BMW CCA website.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Looks great and does pop. Btw mate, have i mentioned I love your garage.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Btw mate, have i mentioned I love your garage.
LOL, thanks bud. My friends, when they see the pictures, the first thing they say is "I didn't know you're a Charmin man."

It is a bit messy, but it is the one "room" in the house I have some control over. Except for the toilet paper storage, because, you know, COSTCO.
Appreciate 0