ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Installed today. Will get more/better videos in the near future. It's a snap crackle pop rasp crispy treat covered in drone. Wishing I would have went with RE Diablos or Stromung. Definitely sounds very Motorsport when driving with the top down. Oh well life's a gamble!

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Well, thanks for being the guinea pig on this one! It sure looks good from the outside!
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
sirhodjibob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 99 Carrera, 99 M3. Sold: Z4MR

Did you install their X Pipe as well?
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhodjibob View Post
Did you install their X Pipe as well?

The mufflers only work with their x pipe, it's comes as a package.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
GQM
The Slip Angle
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe

Garage List
That's too bad. Their oval mufflers looked promising. I am sorry that this didn't work out, but thank you very much for taking the chance on these.

With that said, is there a definitive quiet muffler section for these cars? Not something that is quiet with all 4 stock cats in place. Right now I am really considering keeping the stock mufflers once I remove all the cats. I can't deal with the tinny rasp or drone and I guess at the end of the day I'd rather sacrifice a few HP then have a car that is annoying to drive.
2007 BMW Z4 ///M Coupe | 1993 Mazda RX-7 Turbocharged 417 whp | 1999 Mazda Miata All Motor 185 whp | 1991 Mazda Miata N/A 13b PPort | 2003 Honda S2000 All Motor 238 whp | 2006 Mazda RX-8 | 1998 Lexus LX470 | www.instagram.com/garagequinnmotors
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #6
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Agreed, not my taste but thank you for 'taking one for the team' and trying them out. I suspect most of the rasp comes from eliminating the resonator in the x-pipe. If you were set on keeping them, you can maybe add a few and see if that helps. Quite popular with the E46M crowd (who experience more rasp than the E85/6M IMO) to add an AR20 resondator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQM View Post
With that said, is there a definitive quiet muffler section for these cars? Not something that is quiet with all 4 stock cats in place. Right now I am really considering keeping the stock mufflers once I remove all the cats. I can't deal with the tinny rasp or drone and I guess at the end of the day I'd rather sacrifice a few HP then have a car that is annoying to drive.
I had Eisenmann Sport cans and they were very nice. Not a whole lot louder than stock if at all, but a nicer, deeper tone. Remus and Strömung are other options on the quieter side, the latter being quite popular. Not sure exactly how quiet SuperSprint Powerloops are, but they're quieter than the Race version and are supposed to sound quite nice as well.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2019, 06:34 PM   #7
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
Agreed, not my taste but thank you for 'taking one for the team' and trying them out. I suspect most of the rasp comes from eliminating the resonator in the x-pipe. If you were set on keeping them, you can maybe add a few and see if that helps. Quite popular with the E46M crowd (who experience more rasp than the E85/6M IMO) to add an AR20 resondator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQM View Post
I had Eisenmann Sport cans and they were very nice. Not a whole lot louder than stock if at all, but a nicer, deeper tone. Remus and Strömung are other options on the quieter side, the latter being quite popular. Not sure exactly how quiet SuperSprint Powerloops are, but they're quieter than the Race version and are supposed to sound quite nice as well.

My thoughts exactly. After driving it around the sound has grown on me. Thankfully it's a weekend toy so I think I can live with it. The drone is killing me though.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ordered a rap eliminator resonated section 1 from Status group for a very reasonable price! This should do the trick! [IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob0047 View Post
My thoughts exactly. After driving it around the sound has grown on me. Thankfully it's a weekend toy so I think I can live with it. The drone is killing me though.
I've seen a number of things tried in hopes of reducing drone (silencers, exhaust mounts, etc.), but I think the only thing with moderate success is lining the trunk area with dynamat or welding in a helmholtz resonator, although the latter is muffler dependent as you might not always have room for that.

I have RPi mufflers paired with catless headers so I've basically given up on fighting that fight though lol.

Quote:
Ordered a rap eliminator resonated section 1 from Status group for a very reasonable price! This should do the trick! [IMG][/IMG]
Wishing you the best, although I've heard nothing but bad things about the service from Status Gruppe over the last couple years. A lot of stories of them taking your money and not sending product for 6-12 months or longer, giving weak excuses along the way. I have heard that once you get what you bought the quality is good though.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 10:21 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Way too much rasp for me, that's disappointing. Thanks for taking one for our forums!
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Way too much rasp for me, that's disappointing. Thanks for taking one for our forums!
Agreed! Coming from a loud but very clean rasp free 350z this is absolutely unacceptable for me. Hopefully the status Gruppe rasp eliminator resonated section 1 I got coming in solves the issue!

"Should" sound close to this:

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed! Coming from a loud but very clean rasp free 350z this is absolutely unacceptable for me. Hopefully the status Gruppe rasp eliminator resonated section 1 I got coming in solves the issue!

These are made for e46 m3, the length of the section 1's would be too short and you'll need to modify them (cut and add pipes) to make them fit.
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #13
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Quote:
Quote:

These are made for e46 m3, the length of the section 1's would be too short and you'll need to modify them (cut and add pipes) to make them fit.

They are building one for a Z4M at no extra cost. They make cat less and cated section 1s for Z4Ms so it's no trouble at all for them to make a resonated section 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #14
Syed///M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C 6Mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
Quote:
I've seen a number of things tried in hopes of reducing drone (silencers, exhaust mounts, etc.), but I think the only thing with moderate success is lining the trunk area with dynamat or welding in a helmholtz resonator, although the latter is muffler dependent as you might not always have room for that.

I have RPi mufflers paired with catless headers so I've basically given up on fighting that fight though lol.

Quote:
Wishing you the best, although I've heard nothing but bad things about the service from Status Gruppe over the last couple years. A lot of stories of them taking your money and not sending product for 6-12 months or longer, giving weak excuses along the way. I have heard that once you get what you bought the quality is good though.
You are absolutely correct. I placed an order for the exact same section 1. I have been waiting since December. I called them last month and they said 2 weeks, I still have not heard anything or received the section 1 in the mail yet. Since the car is in storage for the winter I haven't bothered calling them every week, but I am running out of patience as we approach the spring season.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #15
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

Ive had my SG rasp pipe on since early 2017. I also have Stomungs and Rogue x pipe installed
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #16
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted 1 View Post
Ive had my SG rasp pipe on since early 2017. I also have Stomungs and Rogue x pipe installed

Any videos?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:07 PM   #17
Boosted 1
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M coupe, Gx470, M2 PE

I do. Its on my phone and it won't upload. I can send it to you if you think you can upload it. its just a quick rev after install.

And it sounds NOTHING like the SG video on the e46 m3 bumper. 1000% better. 0 drone, 0 rasp
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #18
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Installed today. Will get more/better videos in the near future. It's a snap crackle pop rasp crispy treat covered in drone. Wishing I would have went with RE Diablos or Stromung. Definitely sounds very Motorsport when driving with the top down. Oh well life's a gamble!

Wow that is a lot of rasp! Thank you for posting and helping the body of knowledge here. I have eisenmen race cans and I love them. No drone. No rasp. I kinda wish it was a little louder so I'm considering re x pipe. Just don't want the drone though. But overall, very happy.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 05:04 PM   #19
JimBob0047
First Lieutenant
Rep

DKF Resonated Section 1 installed! Much better! Although there is still a little rasp and I think the drone got worse lol

Appreciate 0