ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-11-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANILE8 View Post
Thanks, they all seem to be an eye-watering price and then you have to add in the cost of the tune on top of that just makes it too much for my pocket. I didn't know BW made one.

What is the consensus as to the best carbon box between BW and Evolve version? Are they any other manufacturers I have missed out?

The BW comes in 120mm and 200mm but the Evolve version does not specify.

Honestly I wasn't told specifically why from Epic Motorsport, but I'm sure the man has a valid point. He tunes TONS of S54's and has by far the best results. He just said "I'd save up and get a proper BW airbox" haha and I heard from pple that BW box is top notch. But then again, I ditched the airbox/cam idea.. for me it's not worth it, I can use that money towards a supercharger for my second Z4M soon to come hahaa

Last edited by Z4M_Coupe; 01-12-2019 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 12:34 AM   #24
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMagnuson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RossBMWZseries View Post
Z4M_GT3’s statements contradict everything I’ve learned here in the forums about a CAI for the M. Not saying you’re wrong, just saying I’ve seen dyno proof plenty times now where the Hp and Tq seem to be higher with a real airbox, even comparing Eventuri to Afe. I was going for Eventuri, now I’m unsure. Any data would be appreciated Z4M_GT3
Ross not sure if this helps as I dont have experience with AFE or anything else but I have the Eventuri setup and I am happy with it. It looks great in place and I believe that it actually smoothed out the throttle response a bit. I cant say that i noticed any HP or torque gain or loss for that matter, but it looks and sounds good.
From what I've read on this forum the eventuri is a very nice intake and beautifully constructed. It really looks great in the engine bay and fits the quality and precision of an M engine. Some say it's not quite as loud as the AFe but close. It's not open to the heat of the engine, so that's a plus. But I haven't seen any dyno comparisons of the two. For looks, I think the eventuri has it. For performance, idk, it may be a wash. (Someone chime in here if they can say one is better than the other.) For sound, the AFe is a little louder. For price the AFe is around $500 while the Eventuri is close to $900.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4M_GT3 View Post
I have no doubts as far as output, I guess every tuner says something different. OE tuning said AFE is crap get Eventuri, so I got it. Epic said it's crap so I got CSL, then Epic said it's crap unless it's the Bimmerworld box so I got AFE. It fluctuates I guess from tuner to tuner. Cause even with a OEM CSL airbox my friends car lost power with multiple tunes. A M3 with stock airbox did 335whp, and AFE on a Z4M did 330whp.. My personal opinion, CSL airbox with Cams and my previous ARH header setup with be PERFECT. But the overall cost for a small bump in power pushed me away. So I just did AFE with Euro headers. Cheers =)
I would have loved to see the results from airbox/ARH headers/cams, I'd imagine that would be the upper limit of an N/A (factory displacement) motor. Regardless your car is still a beast lol.

Pure speculation but I wonder if Epic has 'skin in the game' as they are involved with Bimmerworld (you can buy their tunes off/through BW).

Interesting that the only 2 intakes available through BW are aFe and the BW airbox.

Full disclosure I have a non-BW CSL airbox, Epic Alpha-N tune (purchased through BW), and before the CSL ran an aFe intake.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:04 PM   #26
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

For people looking into an affordable airbox to run alpha N similar to a carbon box check out the Castro Motorsports S54 manifold, from what I've read it's priced "well under $1000" and makes ~330whp on pump gas with the usual bolt ons. The inlet is 6 inches wide. I think you have to call them to inquire about one though!
Attached Images

2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 02:35 PM   #27
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Looking at the AFE and Eventuri products, I wonder how much of the stated gains are due to the lack of screen material in the MAF housing that the OEM MAF has. Has anyone tried simply removing this screen material to improve airflow through the MAF?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #28
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

i would take a grain of salt with any of those performance gains and those dyno graphs can be made to say pretty much what ever you like. you'll need to do some proper research to see what works for you and what doesn't. id recon chucking on an airbox isnt going to net you +10 hp though. you'd need to compliment the box with cams, pipes, etc.. Ive got the BW box here at my place, (well a copy of it) looks pretty much the same box to me, with the same flow funnels. (only diff is that it doesn't have the internal filter, but has an external one) . I don't believe there is much difference between all these CSL copy boxes, some look nicer than others, but i recon they are pretty much all the same. I recon Epic is pretty good though, since I've installed it, i have had zero issues. so thumbs up for Epic
(prob Rockstars on the money though with Epic pointing customers to BW
Lol, but Randy is very nice to deal with. (brought my tune box out to DXB for me with him on holidays, now how many guys would do that? )