ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-14-2019, 07:08 AM   #45
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

That's a very nice piece and I look forward to your review of the install and hopefully seeing it in person.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #46
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Installed and driving!

So after a long while I finally got the box installed and the car driving (hoorah for spring).

Installation was easy and as expected. Everything lined up and was affixed like an OE part. I had previously mentioned there was fitment issues between the two halves of the airbox with the filter installed. I had left the two mated with the filter in place for a few weeks and when I took it back apart it was quite apparent where the interference was because it left an impression on the orange rubber part of the filter. The fact that I was able to put the two pieces together shows how minor the interference was however, but it just created an unattractive gap where there shouldn't be one. I ended up using a dremel + sanding bit to take about 1mm off the lip of the unfiltered half (where it was interfering) and it fits like a glove and no more gaps.

I also don't have a snorkel because I wasn't keen on buying one just to hack up so it fits the Z4M - hoping somebody makes one specific for our chassis (Karb is supposedly making one but no word on development). Epic tune was loaded and holy crap she pulls. For the last 1,000km or so I've had Fabspeed catless headers installed but running the stock tune, so I'm sure a lot of the gains are from that. But that said, it's such an improvement that I'm thinking of dropping out of the Cat Cams group buy because at my level I just don't need anymore power. Going full tilt, or to redline, and I'm at 'break-the-law' speeds way too quick as it is, and I don't require any more power at the track yet.

As for sound...disappointed isn't the right word, but unfortunately my fears came true and it is drowned out by my exhaust setup (catless headers, stock catted section one, stock resonated x-pipe, and RPi "mufflers"). Only time I can hear it is at full tilt or close to redline when the exhaust starts to quiet down - but that's pushing it on the street. I'm gonna look for my silencers for the RPi (never used them before lol) but I certainly don't plan on changing my setup because I am happy with the exhaust note as is. Haven't had the chance to hear it from outside the car to know if the airbox is audible over the exhaust from a bystander but I suspect it is from the front of the car.

E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #47
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
So after a long while I finally got the box installed and the car driving (hoorah for spring).

Installation was easy and as expected. Everything lined up and was affixed like an OE part. I had previously mentioned there was fitment issues between the two halves of the airbox with the filter installed. I had left the two mated with the filter in place for a few weeks and when I took it back apart it was quite apparent where the interference was because it left an impression on the orange rubber part of the filter. The fact that I was able to put the two pieces together shows how minor the interference was however, but it just created an unattractive gap where there shouldn't be one. I ended up using a dremel + sanding bit to take about 1mm off the lip of the unfiltered half (where it was interfering) and it fits like a glove and no more gaps.

I also don't have a snorkel because I wasn't keen on buying one just to hack up so it fits the Z4M - hoping somebody makes one specific for our chassis (Karb is supposedly making one but no word on development). Epic tune was loaded and holy crap she pulls. For the last 1,000km or so I've had Fabspeed catless headers installed but running the stock tune, so I'm sure a lot of the gains are from that. But that said, it's such an improvement that I'm thinking of dropping out of the Cat Cams group buy because at my level I just don't need anymore power. Going full tilt, or to redline, and I'm at 'break-the-law' speeds way too quick as it is, and I don't require any more power at the track yet.

As for sound...disappointed isn't the right word, but unfortunately my fears came true and it is drowned out by my exhaust setup (catless headers, stock catted section one, stock resonated x-pipe, and RPi "mufflers"). Only time I can hear it is at full tilt or close to redline when the exhaust starts to quiet down - but that's pushing it on the street. I'm gonna look for my silencers for the RPi (never used them before lol) but I certainly don't plan on changing my setup because I am happy with the exhaust note as is. Haven't had the chance to hear it from outside the car to know if the airbox is audible over the exhaust from a bystander but I suspect it is from the front of the car.

SO awesome!
Did you install the BMW MPower decal, or did it ship w/it?

Love your 1st world problem....you can't hear the visceral sound of the massive air being pulled into your intake over the massive scream of your after-market performance exhaust....

Nicely done!
      04-09-2019, 08:09 AM   #48
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
SO awesome!
Did you install the BMW MPower decal, or did it ship w/it?

Love your 1st world problem....you can't hear the visceral sound of the massive air being pulled into your intake over the massive scream of your after-market performance exhaust....

Nicely done!
It shipped with the decal installed, though I wasn't expecting it to because they originally said they couldn't due to trademarks and such. So I went and bought a decal on my own - so now I have an extra lol.

And yeah, that pretty much exactly sums up my first world problem
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:06 PM   #49
Intentional Brown Stain
Private
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4 MC

Ok, now that I am going to get the box, and since you now have it installed, what parts can our car reuse and what parts need to be ordered sure for? Don't want to get double parts like you did with your decal lol

Streamline suggested the same parts as you had, except these:
07129952125 - General Purpose Clamp x6
Optional:
11437834784 - CSL Oil Dipstick
11437833653 - CSL Dipstick Tube

Here is the list from streamline:
11617830265 Trumpet Hoses x6
13621739510 IAT CSL Sensor replacement from German company Febi Bilstein
11157833649 CSL Crank Case Vent Hose
11617833647 CSL Airbox Air Shut Off Valve
13727838625 ITG CSL AIR FILTER

12521427615 2 pole socket housing for CSL IAT Sensor
12521732635 90 deg protective boot for 2 pole socket housing

I am gonna ask them about the clamps.

Also, there might be a fix for the sound being drowned by RPI. I know there is a sound pipe on the 3.0si that routes sound to the cabin:

I wonder this is the same for our car.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #50
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Z4M does not have a sound pipe
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0