ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-30-2017, 05:41 PM   #1
GoKartZ4M
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M

Street / Track Prep

I'll probably do 2-4 road course track days / year, a lot of hard "canyon" driving (hilly / curvy roads), and normal street cruising. Headed to Blue Ridge Parkway with a car group in two weeks and plan to do a track day shortly thereafter.

Based on threads I have read I'll show what I plan to do and would appreciate commentary or suggestions. Consider it a placeholder that I'll update after your comments.

Engine Oil: Redline 10w50 or Castrol 10w60?
Oil Filter: ?
Brake Fluid: Castrol SRF (I'll also do clutch system)
Engine Coolant: Summer (Pentosin blue and distilled water. What about Royal purple water wetter and what mixture?) Winter (whatever BMW recommends, I can figure that out)

I plan to get a set of brake rotors and pads just for the track
Pads: track (PFC 08) and street ceramics (PFC 2, or Akebono, or Euro
Rotors: ?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
GoKartZ4M
Rep

I'm going to run the car like this (stock form) until I am pretty familiar with it then next year a few mods:
Front Sway bar: what thrickness, brand, etc
Camber Shim Kit or Camber Plate? -2 or -2.5 degrees? Would I go with more camber while on stock wheels/tires then could I give up some camber to save tire wear when I get wider front wheels?

I'll run it like that in 2018 then get a summer set of wheels/tires before 2019. I'll keep my stock wheels with a set of street tires:

Wheels: still looking, suggested setup to reduce understeer and reduce rotational and un-sprung weight? APEX ARC-8 with 245 front and 265 rear? I do not plan on changing the suspension, rolling fenders, etc.

Tires: Summer street and track; not track only. Looking for good heat management, consistency during 20-30 min track sessions, and decent tread wear within this group so the cost isn't too crazy.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Sounds like you should leave as is for now. General maintenance items. Fresh brakes.
Sticky summer street tires. Maybe get a set of sport springs to compliment the slight increase in front negative camber. Definitely replace your front control arm bushings with medium poly and replace the rear trailing arm bushings with a spherical bearing kit (Synchro Design Works).
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKartZ4M View Post
I'm going to run the car like this (stock form) until I am pretty familiar with it then next year a few mods:
Camber Shim Kit or Camber Plate? -2 or -2.5 degrees? Would I go with more camber while on stock wheels/tires then could I give up some camber to save tire wear when I get wider front wheels?

I'll run it like that in 2018 then get a summer set of wheels/tires before 2019. I'll keep my stock wheels with a set of street tires:

Wheels: still looking, suggested setup to reduce understeer and reduce rotational and un-sprung weight? APEX ARC-8 with 245 front and 265 rear? I do not plan on changing the suspension, rolling fenders, etc.

Tires: Summer street and track; not track only. Looking for good heat management, consistency during 20-30 min track sessions, and decent tread wear within this group so the cost isn't too crazy.
Take a look at Hankook RS4. I've been running them for several months now and really happy with them. They seem to be close in grip to the Bridgestone RE71 for autocross but take the heat on the track really well where the RE71s fall off after a couple hot laps.
      06-30-2017, 11:47 PM   #5
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright
Quote:

Take a look at Hankook RS4. I've been running them for several months now and really happy with them. They seem to be close in grip to the Bridgestone RE71 for autocross but take the heat on the track really well where the RE71s fall off after a couple hot laps.
I'm looking at the new RS4 as well. The RS3 was well received besides the softer side wall. Is there any improvement on that on the new version? Will it be better in rain vs the RE71 since it's regarded as the best tire in that category for on track and some rain. With all these new tires coming out this year, RE71 might be dethroned...

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
GoKartZ4M
Rep

Thanks for the tire suggestions. I'll take my time researching tires, wheels, and suspension but I have some time. The car has at least different springs (maybe more), has been lowered and has magnaflow tips (hopefully full catback). I can't see under the car because it is so low but once I have it on jack stands to check the brake pads I can find out what is on it.

Any suggestions on the engine oil, filter, brake fluid, and summer/track coolant? I've seen conflicting suggestions across threads.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Spherical bearings seem overkill for a car that sees such light track duty. Even on my car I don't run spherical, OEM plus limiters is fine.
      07-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
+1 to this^.
I have 4 track days on a set of RS4s and absolutely love them.
They seem to be wearing well too.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2017, 09:32 PM   #9
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
I'm looking at the new RS4 as well. The RS3 was well received besides the softer side wall. Is there any improvement on that on the new version? Will it be better in rain vs the RE71 since it's regarded as the best tire in that category for on track and some rain. With all these new tires coming out this year, RE71 might be dethroned...
I haven't had them in the wet under competition conditions yet, just street driving, but they've been fine under those conditions. I know a couple people that are running the Federal RS-RR for autocross and they like them a lot also. Pricing is like half of the RS4s or RE71. I'm tempted to pick an extra set of wheels and give them a try for track day tires.
      07-02-2017, 10:12 AM   #10
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I ran half a day in the rain at Watkins Glen and they were fine.
Rain was heavy at times with water running cross track in some sections.
Rain is rain... But they really did as well as could be expected
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
joenationwide
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4R

Quote:

I would target at least -2.5 deg front camber. Just run 0.10 total toe in front, and it should help keep the "camber wear" at a minimum. Set the rear to -1.5 deg camber and 0.10 total toe in.

Don't run a staggered setup if you want to track it. I fit 18x9.5" APEX ARC8 with 275/35/18 Michelin PSS. These are the perfect tires for 90% street and 10% track. Very quiet, very smooth, work in the widest range of ambient temperatures. Good tread life.

Of course tracking on stock suspension will be a little wonky, but see how it goes. At least a good alignment and square setup will be a huge step up from stock. Oh yeah, and some good track pads. Rotors take your pick.
Appreciate 1