ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Oddments Tray Retrofit [GTFO S.O.S. Panel!]

I've been wanting to do this for some time and finally had the opportunity to install it this past weekend. I've heard this will throw a CEL/SES if unplugged, I will find out later this week when I scan the car, will update this thread with the results. I have a friend who had the oddments tray installed though so I think it's possible to do one way or another (may require light coding).

Things needed:
1x OEM Oddments Tray - BMW PN for black 51467073533
1x Trim popper (I used a flat head wrapped in electrical tape and was very careful)

The piece is made out of a soft plastic/rubber, very durable and easy to install.

I wonder if there are any other colors of this piece.

Useless to me! At one point I thought about retrofitting a nitrous arm/disarm switch under that little cover. The ricer in me would have loved that, but I've decided against nitrous after all and decided this would be a bit more useful.

Comparison of what you will be switching out. Not sure how I got the oddments tray to stand up like that.

I popped the SOS tray out from the front, though broke some of the retainer clips. I've also read someone mentioning it should be popped out from the rear. Doesn't matter a whole lot to me as I don't plan on reinstalling this. However I advise strong caution, the plastic armrest is prone to scratching so be careful

One simple plug to undo.

Installed, close up.

A bit further back. This tray fits my archaic iPhone 5 nicely.

Had to sneak in a shot of the Macht Schnell MS97 shift knob I also installed

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Nice, did it end up throwing any codes? I'll have to get this next time I order some BMW parts.

How do you like your new shift knob? Is it taller than the original knob?

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

I like that a lot!
      11-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
Tlarkk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 and e368 M Coupe

I had no idea this existed! Keep us updated with that CEL/SES
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I will be doing this as soon as I get my car back. I can't stand that there hasn't been a good place to put my phone (I know first world problem), but also that those buttons just sat there never to be used. Thank you for this update, I'll throw a note in here if I hit any other codes after I get mine back.
      01-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Cheers everyone, forgot to update this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignosejim View Post
Nice, did it end up throwing any codes? I'll have to get this next time I order some BMW parts.

How do you like your new shift knob? Is it taller than the original knob?
If a code was thrown it would have to be a hidden one - no SES light from this. I do have a tune right now eliminating the post cat o2 sensors but that should have zero effect on an SES light from removing the SOS button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlarkk View Post
I had no idea this existed! Keep us updated with that CEL/SES
No SES light thrown per above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsonism View Post
I will be doing this as soon as I get my car back. I can't stand that there hasn't been a good place to put my phone (I know first world problem), but also that those buttons just sat there never to be used. Thank you for this update, I'll throw a note in here if I hit any other codes after I get mine back.
Before I had the oddments tray I kept my phone in the upper door pocket - seems to hold the iPhone 5 pretty well. This tray is really nice though, so much more useful than the damn SOS tray!

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 01:20 AM   #7
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I still have my SOS module, and I think it's neat to have two serious buttons behind a protective cover. But I've been thinking of swapping it out for the oddments tray.

For those who kept the SOS module: Do you subscribe to the service? Have you had to use it? Has anyone who haven't subscribed to the service, pressed the buttons to see what happens? It's like a fire alarm I want to pull so bad just to see if something's going to go off.
      01-15-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Westersund
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW

That's standard on Euro cars afaik. I've never seen those SOS buttons in a Z4 before.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 02:32 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
I still have my SOS module, and I think it's neat to have two serious buttons behind a protective cover. But I've been thinking of swapping it out for the oddments tray.

For those who kept the SOS module: Do you subscribe to the service? Have you had to use it? Has anyone who haven't subscribed to the service, pressed the buttons to see what happens? It's like a fire alarm I want to pull so bad just to see if something's going to go off.
I had a surprise rain cloud come out of nowhere and my seats and center console got a little wet. I quickly wiped them down, but evidently the low nature of those switches was where water collected, and it was causing a closed circuit that was activating the service. I decided I would keep mine and here's why.

When it activated, it said my service was not active and asked if I wanted to activate it. I said no. It disconnected. The water made it repeat dial. So, I said no again, but it kept calling back. I gave up and decided to just let it go through. An operator asked if I was OK. I didn't say anything. The operator then said, if you don't respond, we will notify emergency services and send help. Interesting. I don't know if they send a bill for this, or if they do this for free as a way to protect themselves against legal action even if your subscription has lapsed. I then spoke to the lady and told her what was going on and asked her to make a note on the account that the switch was wet and malfunctioning and I would have it corrected within an hour.

I then went home, disconnected the switch and rapped it against my hand to shake out the water and let it air dry before replacing. It's been fine since.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2016, 11:48 PM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Matt, sorry for the late pic mate, but as talked about before, this is the Euro version e85/86 of your oddments button/switch thingy.

And original oddments tray

Interestingly enough, when selecting bmw assist, it says "service not subscribed" lol, and I'd say that's because here in Dubai, bmw does not offer this service to any BMW, old or new.

Salty, on your switch mate, what's the diff between the left and right button? So you have SOS and the one with the spanner? Breakdown service and? Emergency?