ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Thinking of replacing my side & rear ///M badges

2006 Z4 M Roadster and the ///M badges are are getting pretty faded, particularly the red stripe, and the top edges are wearing a little. I've removed/replaced badges before, so I'm not concerned with doing this, except that these have been on the car for almost 13 years.

So the question is, do the faded badges add to the "patina" of the car or would the car just look better with new badges? Everything else is in pretty good shape. Only other issue is that these badges are getting pricey at $38.82 each on getbmwparts.com, making it a $116+ purely cosmetic project. But on an older car parts get harder to come by and they're still available now. And I'm not a big fan of debadging, particularly on this car, so that isn't an option.

Has anyone else done this on their ///M?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #2
328skidpad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi e350 Z4M X3 M40

I have always just gotten m badges on ebay take longer via international delivery but wow the prices are much cheaper and quality is very good.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 10:57 PM   #3
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Is it the badge itself or just the stripes that are fading? If it's just the stripes you can (and I would recommend this) get replacement vinyl stripes that go on top of the existing ones. Once in place you'd never spot the difference, and these ones are more fade resistant.

I did this on my old M3 and was very satisfied with the outcome. Best part is you can get them for <$10. Of course if the badge itself is worn (like my engine cover badge is) then this won't help you.

And I would definitely say refresh them if they're faded, not sure this is a car that fits the patina/worn look.
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-18-2019, 11:48 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar93 View Post
Is it the badge itself or just the stripes that are fading? If it's just the stripes you can (and I would recommend this) get replacement vinyl stripes that go on top of the existing ones. Once in place you'd never spot the difference, and these ones are more fade resistant.

I did this on my old M3 and was very satisfied with the outcome. Best part is you can get them for <$10. Of course if the badge itself is worn (like my engine cover badge is) then this won't help you.

And I would definitely say refresh them if they're faded, not sure this is a car that fits the patina/worn look.
Agreed. These vinyl replacements are much better than those individual stripes found on many sites => http://www.donewhenimdead.com/garage...oorsill-badges
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      01-19-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I bought a batch of vinyl strips years ago from "rovert" on m3forum.
They were dirt cheap and quality was top notch.
Looks like they're still selling them. Buy 'em by the sack.
I bought enough to go around the car 3 times at least 6 years ago, but the first set still looks great after 5-6 years of SoCal Sun.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ghlight=rovert
      01-20-2019, 08:12 AM   #6
WhatTheFetch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2019 Bullitt  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE  [0.00]
+1 On the vinyl stripes. I also bought some for my M3 roadster way back and they looked great.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
Black_Valkyrie
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i

Hamazon?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
I bought a batch of vinyl strips years ago from "rovert" on m3forum.
They were dirt cheap and quality was top notch.
Looks like they're still selling them. Buy 'em by the sack.
I bought enough to go around the car 3 times at least 6 years ago, but the first set still looks great after 5-6 years of SoCal Sun.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...ghlight=rovert
Based on the suggestions above, it looks like vinyl strips are the way to go and they're certainly cheaper than new badges.

I looked at the thread you quoted and rovert has been doing this for more than five years now, has lots of satisfied customers, vinyl is his business, and he's considerably cheaper than the other source quoted above.

However, the only way I can contact him is to create an account on m3forum, which I did two days ago, but I haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet. This forum is so locked down that I can't even edit my personal details in the control panel. I literally can't do anything on this forum, including PMing a moderator, let alone PM rovert, so I have no way to contact him.

Do you have any other contact info for him, such as his e-mail address?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:55 PM   #9
rockstar93
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC; E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
Based on the suggestions above, it looks like vinyl strips are the way to go and they're certainly cheaper than new badges.

I looked at the thread you quoted and rovert has been doing this for more than five years now, has lots of satisfied customers, vinyl is his business, and he's considerably cheaper than the other source quoted above.

However, the only way I can contact him is to create an account on m3forum, which I did two days ago, but I haven't gotten a confirmation e-mail yet. This forum is so locked down that I can't even edit my personal details in the control panel. I literally can't do anything on this forum, including PMing a moderator, let alone PM rovert, so I have no way to contact him.

Do you have any other contact info for him, such as his e-mail address?
I bought mine from rovert years ago over M3Forum - he gave me his PayPal email but needed me to send him my address in both the PayPal payment and M3Forum PM because he references both, so you might need to wait. That said shipping was very quick and I will vouch for the quality of his product as well.

I'd say it might be safer to wait anyway as his stripes are cut larger than they need to be and are intended to be cut to fit upon install which gives you more leeway with the Z4M. There was another member on M3Forum selling similar stickers that were cut to size, but somebody on there reported they don't fit the E85/6M. If you buy off Amazon, Ebay, Aliexpress, etc. they'll likely be cut to fit an M3 as well.

For reference: (http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=601546)
E86 Z4M Coupe Interlagos Blue/Black
E92 M3 Coupe 6MT Interlagos Blue/Fox Red - Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Here's how I trimmed mine for the side badges.:
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showpos...79&postcount=8
      01-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, it took me 3 days to get the confirmation e-mail at m3forum so that I could finally PM rovert. That site has some serious problems with domain name resolution and broken links. He hasn't seen my PM yet nor responded to the post in the referenced thread. His last appearance in that thread was two months ago. Not sure if this is a viable option any more. If I don't hear from him in the next couple of weeks I'll try the link that XMetal posted, although that option is twice as expensive.

I'll post an update if and when I hear from him.

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 06:43 PM   #12
Polarbert
English Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Does anyone have any up to date links on vinyls? It seems the m3forum has disapprared.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Update on my last post above:

I did hear back from rovert, more than six months after I contacted him. After seeing his FB page and some of his posts, I decided that I didn't want to support him with my business.

Appreciate 0