ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2019, 07:58 PM   #1
musmand
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i Toledo Blue

automatic convertible top

Is it possible to remove the motor and hydraulics for the soft top to make it a purely manual top?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I expect that you can do that, but is there really a need? There is a red pull tab in the trunk adjacent to the left trunk lid; pull on it and the mechanical system is disengaged allowing manual operation.

http://www.bmwz4roadster.net/brochur...s%20Manual.pdf

See pages 21 through 24. You may not need to do steps 6 and 7. Perhaps others here can chime in.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 01-21-2019 at 07:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
musmand
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5i Toledo Blue

The red tab is already pulled. It looks like someone tanked the crap out of it and broke it. It is easy to put down, but getting it back up is a pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I haven’t had this problem do I can only go by the manual. Anybody else here?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

I'm not going to try and talk you out of doing this, only because these convertible tops have so many issues. I remember another fellow basically posting as you have, but he added that he wasn't interested spending endless hours attempting to fix a very bad design.

Go to section B of the following instructions which will instruct on cutting the hydronic lines running from the (now dead) pump to the lifters.

https://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/bmwz4instructions.pdf
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

With the exception of the dumb placement of the hydraulic motor in a location where it is prone to water damage and resulting failure, and recognizing that any mechanical system can fail, the rest of the design is solid and tends to be trouble free for the most part.

I keep asking if they fixed the motor placement issue on the new Z4 (G29). Does anybody know?

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
ChrisSFBay
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Hey guys, I'm Chris. New here. Glad this resource exists!
I bought my 2004 Z4 last August. Soon after, the top stopped working. Dealer quotes 3K to fix! I have had no luck with the red pull ring "manual mode" although I'd be fine with living with the manual style roof. I've seen a guide to cutting the hydro lines to release the pressure so that the top will open, but not sure I want to go that way.
I know that the focus here is DIY, but I am finding it very difficult to find a shop near me that can help with this issue. Even specialized European shops won't touch it. I did find one willing to look at it but quoted me a probable price that was higher than the dealer!
Anyone know of a shop in the SF Bay Area that can help without costing me a fortune? Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:00 PM   #8
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

Who have you talked to in the Bay?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

As I recall, there are lots of threads on this topic on the UK Z4 forum (www.z4-forum.com ) in the E85 sections at https://z4-forum.com/forum/. I think some guys have found effective ways to repair otherwise dead top motors too. I'd suggest taking a god look there before you do anything that can't be easily undone.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #10
ChrisSFBay
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 2.5

Thanks Huz! I'll see what I can find.

JSingh, I originally went to the BMW Dealer in Pleasanton. They quoted me on my top as well as a bunch of other things. Most were unneeded. They wanted to replace my windshield because the rubber gasket was old! Just to fix the top was 3200. Overall estimate was over 10K! The car only has 80K miles and is in really nice shape.
I contacted Autowerks in San Ramon, they said they couldn't do it and referred me to M Services in Walnut Creek. I talked to the guy over the phone and he said it would be around 3600! I had a misfire on cylinder 3 Saturday night and took it to a nearby shop in Livermore called Cartech. They replaced the coil and things seem fine now, but they can't fix my top.
I love this car and plan to keep it forever. I just need a reliable, qualified shop to take care of the top and possibly move the motor to the trunk. Any suggestions? I see you are also in the Bay.
Appreciate 0