ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #1
dptmachine
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Motion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe

Flossman Wide Body Show Car revision to HPDE car

I have a new car with 151 miles on it with a near full Flossman Carbon Fiber Wide body kit. It was a show/sponsor car in a previous life. I have the task now to figure out about getting this thing going. This is my 1st attempt to organize myself for "phase 1"; getting rolling. Canepa had heated the stock springs on the KW's listed to get a 3-4" ground clearance. Your review(s) are welcome.
**Check my Album
Get the car rolling
1. Dampers
a. Option 1; current Dampers on car. KW 200 1018 ( Art. Nr. 353 20 323) front BDL 330, KW 200 1111 (Art. Nr. 353 20 501) rear BDL333. I cannot find info on these???
i. Can the current suspension be used with new springs and/or other components
1. Supporting components; ARB bars, camber plates, reinforcement plates towers ARB base reinforcement
a. 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Epoxy Adhesive DP420

b. Option 2; currently owned dampers with MCS 2 way non remote coil-overs for track E46 M3; Eibach 5” 2.25 ID 700#, Eibach 6” 2.25 ID 350#
i. Iteration 1; apply rears, reinforce rear shock tower mounts and source new damper for current control arms
ii. Iteration 2; apply rears, reinforce rear shock tower mounts and front and use SLR control arms
iii. Iteration 3; apply rears, reinforce rear shock tower mounts and AR Motorsports recommendations?
iv. Supporting components; ARB bars, camber plates, Clevis mounts, reinforcement plates towers
1. ARB base reinforcement

c. Option 3; Source entire new MCS kit or like product
i. Iteration 1; non coil-over, no rear shock tower reinforcement
ii. Iteration 2; coil-over, rear shock tower reinforcement
iii. Iteration 3; AR Motorsport other recommendations
1. Supporting components; ARB bars, camber plates, Clevis mounts, reinforcement plates towers ARB base reinforcement
d. Upgraded bushing/balljoints/arms??? What components must be considered with new Dampers
i. AKG 75D Differential bushing set
ii. Vorshlag Motorsports Nylon Competition Engine/Trans Mount set
iii. Ground Control Front Control Arm Bushing set
iv. Ground Control Rear Trailing Arm Bearing
v. Ground Control lower control arm (Race)
vi. Ground Control Front Camber Plate set
vii. Hypercoil zero rate Tender Spring pair
viii. Eibach spring spacer
ix. Replace stock ball joints in rear?
e. Summary
i. When considering my path, w/in reason, I want the cars components to be purposeful and well matched. If the spacers and wheel/tire size for the wheel opening is poorly matched, I am interested in addressing that. Bigger is not always better, but best choice should be considered. Phasing in components from one season to the other is acceptable and considerate to the pocket book.
ii. It would be nice to drive this to track sometimes, cars and coffee maybe, but very little. This will not be a commuter.
2. Wheels
a. Option 1; current wheels BBS 16 0288124, 16 0288123, 14 0288124, 0288123
i. Iteration 1; maintain front wheel spacers. These are not hub centric and measure a “whopping” 26.83 mm with digital caliper
ii. Iteration 2; delete front wheel spacer with custom length control arms
1. Control arm selection may change front damper selection
b. Option 2; change front wheel/tire size
i. Iteration 1; current control arm wheel and tire fitment
ii. Iteration 2; custom length control arm wheel and tire fitment; ie SLR kit that has dust caps and boot
3. Exhaust
a. Option 1; Epic Motorsports Headers, swaintech coating
i. Fabrication into sourced DKF component exhaust components
1. Exhaust cut-outs and actuator
2. Plug and play cat cells for DEQ PRN
a. I think the cut-out will interchange by my conversation with DKF
3. Is there any obvious fitment issues or additional budget considerations with exception to exhaust fab; ie heat shields, bracket mods, etc

b. Option 2; Super Sprint V1 stepped header, swaintech
c. Summary
i. In building the exhaust and installing, what aspects of the car will be accessible for the “smart” application/address components readily available for labor considerations. Is the engine dropped/pulled?
ii. In addition, in considering exhaust, does it automatically necessitate an EPIC tune? In an effort to avoid multiple “tune purchases”, should the exhaust wait until any consideration for plenum, cams, pulleys, etc.
4. Service Items for a car that has been sitting for 12 years with 151 miles total current date 10-19-19
a. Last Date of Service 12-03-14; miles 149. Dreyer and Reinbold, Inc. BMW/Mini
i. TWS Synthetic oil 1, oil filter
ii. Flush coolant, vent and pressure check system
b. What should even be considered
i. Does it need a “break-in” oil or another service with Total Quartz oil
ii. What is the longevity on valve cover gaskets
iii. Hoses?
iv. Injectors cleaned?
v. Fuel filter change?
vi. Fuel tank flush, treatment?
vii. Flush brakes
c. Inspect wing mounting provisions
d. Inspect Flossman kit for stability; show-car vs HPDE car
2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body; midlife crisis car
Appreciate 2
MOEDARE140.00
      10-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Am mostly posting to follow where you go with this. I might suggest addressing the foramtting - there's a lot of info in your post, and the formatting (or lack of) can make it hard to digest.

I am also dealing with AR Motorsport, planning to do a suspension upgrade with them in the Spring (have to wait a bit budget wise). They seem like great folks, honest, knowledgable, and reasonably priced.

If I understand this correctly, you have a 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe with a very nice wide-body kit. The vehicle has 150 miles on it???

Are you planning a full race conversion? How much street driving, if any, do you plan?

If you have not already, I would replace every fluid in the car (oil, water, diff, transmission, brakes, etc).

Cheers,
Eamonn

Last edited by eggman51; 10-19-2019 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
dptmachine
United_States
Rep

2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body

I put this together on Word, it copy/paste quite poorly. It is dual purpose to give to Martin for review. It is over zealous, I know. As soon as it posted, I knew it was too much. Blame early AM and eager first drive.

Trying not to miss details myself or have a bunch or redundant labor or things I can do.

I will pull it back a bit and share my progress. It is scheduled to go into the shop and be checked-out, serviced, and begin transformation.

It's fate has been set once the flossman kit was put on in my opinion, no sense in driving around on unmatched suspension and the like.

I wont race it, just track driving and a practice tool for my e46 M3 track build.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Subbed for seeing where your going to take this. . Very nice base to start out with. And as I said I pm, I'd love to see how the front splitter/bumper is attached.
      10-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
dptmachine
United_States
Rep

2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body at the shop

I just dropped this car at the shop to get service, look over Flossman kit install, and remove KW's that came with car.
1. I am likely getting MCS 2 way remotes with swap of front knuckles to share parts with my track E46 M3 and project car (lucky dog racing). Rear shares everything the same essentially, front is e36/Z3 style from what I am told. The shop will mock up there wheel sizing tool and MCS suspension on hand.
2. SLR has custom length front control arms with dust shields/boots that can make fitment w/o spacers. I will wait until shop looks it over.
3. I have new set schrick 288/280 I want to install. I thought about swapping this new head off on my Lucky dog car build, get a head from Lang and and install 288/280. Thoughts?
4. Ordering Epic Motorsports Headers and fabricating the parts/pieces I have from DKF remaining exhaust.
5. New Air box needed; recommendations on fitment
6. Pulley kit; keeping AC
7. Epic Tune.

I will be looking for some properly fitting 18" wheels once we decide on suspension configuration. These BBS 19" will be my street "kicks"

I will keep posted on developments

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Randy at Epic is top notch youll have zero dramas there.