ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #5743
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Me as well, except that all of the good parts are illegal here in NY State.....

Technically I think it's illegal for me to even look at these pictures.
Appreciate 5
      02-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #5744
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
I would love to have a Frunk rifle.
Me as well, except that all of the good parts are illegal here in NY State.....

Meh,just get yourself a reliable scatter gun
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
vreihen1615268.00
DrFerry6728.50
      02-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #5745
Fringe
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

yeah I got that, why do I have to be sketchy?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:14 PM   #5746
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
yeah I got that, why do I have to be sketchy?
Because only 12-year-olds and scammers come to this forum with 11 posts in their history and try to sell (questionable) coupon codes and such.

It could be worse, since 4-post forum members are all immediately suspected of being software/coding pirates.....
      02-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #5747
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I have a NY-SAFE-legal AR-15, that I refer to as my ugly stick. Because of the Lego nature of that hardware platform, it can easily/cheaply be converted to a proper/respectable firearm when we make our exit from the empire state in a few years.

Stock photo, not mine.....

DrFerry6728.50
      02-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #5748
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
I have a NY-SAFE-legal AR-15, that I refer to as my ugly stick. Because of the Lego nature of that hardware platform, it can easily/cheaply be converted to a proper/respectable firearm when we make our exit from the empire state in a few years.

[IMG]https://images.guns.com/prod/2021/03...f24a98c25c.jpg[/IMG]

Can you own AR pistols in NY?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 01:50 PM   #5749
Fringe
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Because only 12-year-olds and scammers come to this forum with 11 posts in their history and try to sell (questionable) coupon codes and such.

It could be worse, since 4-post forum members are all immediately suspected of being software/coding pirates.....
Hmm, while I know exactly what you mean and cannot judge you for your opinion as I would share it as well, but I am not a scammer.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 04:09 PM   #5750
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Can you own AR pistols in NY?
I'm not positive, but I think so...if it has a fixed 10-round magazine and is listed on your pistol permit.

Would anyone want to go see the judge to have one added to their permit, especially when judges in NY State can yank anyone's current permit at any time and for any reason? Not worth it for me.....
      02-05-2022, 05:44 PM   #5751
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Going to a gun show tomorrow with my boys. I will try to post pics
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615268.00
Nuckle2218.00
chowser512025.00
      02-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #5752
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
I'm not positive, but I think so...if it has a fixed 10-round magazine and is listed on your pistol permit.

Would anyone want to go see the judge to have one added to their permit, especially when judges in NY State can yank anyone's current permit at any time and for any reason? Not worth it for me.....
Think NY's rule are just a bit above Ma's draconian rules.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #5753
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
NY State pistol permits have no reciprocity with ANY other state, and aren't even valid in NYC.

[NYC permits aren't valid in NY State, and it is extremely rare (think unicorns) for one to be issued to a civilian that lets them carry outside of their home.]

The state permit requires that every single pistol owned be listed on it, make, model, serial number, caliber. Every single addition requires an appearance before the issuing judge in many counties. I had a 60+ year-old friend who was a collector, and in all seriousness had to carry 41 permit cards (each with five pistols listed) at all times to cover his extensive collection. He had to appear before the judge every time that he wanted to buy another pistol, and his judge would always bust his chops about already owning enough guns without needing the new one.

Depending on the county and judge, you can be issued a restricted (most common) or unrestricted permit (holy grail). Restricted permits generally only allow carrying to/from a range or hunting. Those with unrestricted permits can have them restricted or revoked at any time at the whim of a judge.

My wife and I both lucked out and were issued the holy grails, and both of us are even afraid to cross-list each other's pistols onto our licenses out of fear that a new judge might add restrictions during the amendment. I was thinking about picking up a S&W Victory .22 a few years ago, and ultimately decided that even that wasn't worth the potential permit restrictions risk. No f-in-weigh would I try to have an AR-15 pistol added.....
      02-06-2022, 03:53 PM   #5754
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Quote:

No offense but I want to cry a bit looking at that.
Appreciate 4
Todd0131379.50
vreihen1615268.00
Suds1598.50
DrFerry6728.50
      02-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #5755
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
NY State pistol permits have no reciprocity with ANY other state, and aren't even valid in NYC.

[NYC permits aren't valid in NY State, and it is extremely rare (think unicorns) for one to be issued to a civilian that lets them carry outside of their home.]

The state permit requires that every single pistol owned be listed on it, make, model, serial number, caliber. Every single addition requires an appearance before the issuing judge in many counties. I had a 60+ year-old friend who was a collector, and in all seriousness had to carry 41 permit cards (each with five pistols listed) at all times to cover his extensive collection. He had to appear before the judge every time that he wanted to buy another pistol, and his judge would always bust his chops about already owning enough guns without needing the new one.

Depending on the county and judge, you can be issued a restricted (most common) or unrestricted permit (holy grail). Restricted permits generally only allow carrying to/from a range or hunting. Those with unrestricted permits can have them restricted or revoked at any time at the whim of a judge.

My wife and I both lucked out and were issued the holy grails, and both of us are even afraid to cross-list each other's pistols onto our licenses out of fear that a new judge might add restrictions during the amendment. I was thinking about picking up a S&W Victory .22 a few years ago, and ultimately decided that even that wasn't worth the potential permit restrictions risk. No f-in-weigh would I try to have an AR-15 pistol added.....
FWIW, AR-15 pistols wouldn't be added to CCW's here in California either. They are rifles, so you wouldn't be concealing them.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 08:49 AM   #5756
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep
Drives: ///M320i and X5

Quote:
FWIW, AR-15 pistols wouldn't be added to CCW's here in California either. They are rifles, so you wouldn't be concealing them.
So you don’t require a brace with your AR-pistol? Wouldn’t it be a SBR then?
Do you have to list your handgun specific info on your CC permit/license?

Reading these laws make me thankful to live where I do.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #5757
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Chacon View Post
Quote:
So you don't require a brace with your AR-pistol? Wouldn't it be a SBR then?
Do you have to list your handgun specific info on your CC permit/license?

Reading these laws make me thankful to live where I do.
AR pistols in California do require a brace; a rifle stock would make it an SBR (…stupid California distinction, but thankfully the ADA lawyers fought for the inclusion of the brace). I'm in law enforcement, so I register the lower receiver as a semi automatic pistol. Civilians register the lower receiver as a single shot pistol. On a CCW, the handguns you can carry are listed on the back of it.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #5758
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
AR pistols in California do require a brace; a rifle stock would make it an SBR (…stupid California distinction, but thankfully the ADA lawyers fought for the inclusion of the brace). I'm in law enforcement, so I register the lower receiver as a semi automatic pistol. Civilians register the lower receiver as a single shot pistol. On a CCW, the handguns you can carry are listed on the back of it.
Thanks for the info on Cali, crazy.

Can you CC with suppressor/silencer?

I’m able to CC my AR-pistol SD, just curious if others can/do.

Edit:
The reason I asked for clarification on brace for the AR-pistol is in your post you said in Cali an AR-pistol is a rifle. I wondered how you can legally put a pistol brace on a “rifle.” Sounds designed to confuse.

Last edited by Pablo Chacon; 02-07-2022 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #5759
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info on Cali, crazy.

Can you CC with suppressor/silencer?

I'm able to CC my AR-pistol SD, just curious if others can/do.

Edit:
The reason I asked for clarification on brace for the AR-pistol is in your post you said in Cali an AR-pistol is a rifle. I wondered how you can legally put a pistol brace on a "rifle." Sounds designed to confuse.
Suppressors are illegal in California for personal use. We do use them in LE though.

My rifle comment was just me being frank. An AR pistol is a rifle, albeit a short barreled one. We can debate nomenclature and classification, but aside from the minimal differences between what's considered a brace and a stock, there is no difference.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 11:03 AM   #5760
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Suppressors are illegal in California for personal use. We do use them in LE though.

My rifle comment was just me being frank. An AR pistol is a rifle, albeit a short barreled one. We can debate nomenclature and classification, but aside from the minimal differences between what's considered a brace and a stock, there is no difference.
Ok,I thought you were saying that’s Cali’s law regarding AR-pistol. No need to debate the difference, I’m aware of the nuances of the ARP & SBR. I just wanted clarification on the earlier comment.
Can you have a SBR for personal use? It sounds like it might be easier if they provide you a list of what you can have for personal use versus prohibited.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-07-2022, 11:11 AM   #5761
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok,I thought you were saying that's Cali's law regarding AR-pistol. No need to debate the difference, I'm aware of the nuances of the ARP & SBR. I just wanted clarification on the earlier comment.
Can you have a SBR for personal use? It sounds like it might be easier if they provide you a list of what you can have for personal use versus prohibited.
We can't have SBR's or SBS's here without a DOJ stamp (…although the AR pistol serves the exact same purpose since pistol braces are like rifle stocks anyway). Far more trouble than it's worth. We do carry SBS's in our patrol vehicles though.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #5762
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Allegedly the stamp approval process has has been reduced to around 90 days. I plan to purchase another silencer and or/SBR soon to test it.

Well, at least the LEOs get to have some fun and proper weapons.
Thanks for the info, stay safe out there.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25106.00
      02-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #5763
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Allegedly the stamp approval process has has been reduced to around 90 days. I plan to purchase another silencer and or/SBR soon to test it.

Well, at least the LEOs get to have some fun and proper weapons.
Thanks for the info, stay safe out there.
Will do, Sir! I'm building a few AR pistols for partners as we speak.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #5764
Pablo Chacon
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Will do, Sir! I'm buying a few AR pistols for partners as we speak.
Let’s see them!
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25106.00
ggunn9160.00