ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - California
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
1funa
Rep
Drives: 06Z4MC E30M3 E36M3 74 02 Turbo

Come and see the Zagato Coupe to be displayed at Legends of the Autobahn

Hi group,
I've just been notified that BMW will be displaying the Zagato Coupe at this years Legends of the Autobahn, during the Monterey Rolex Motorsports Reunion weekend, August 17th. Also slated is the M8.
It took a bit of frustration to get the (IMO, very, very, Z4C based) Zagato and I'm wondering if BMW plans any future limited production of this redesign.
If you are able to attend please let me know that you're at the event, (I'll be on the mic/MC). I'm proudly displaying my Z4MC at this years event and hope to have a few others to huddle with. Info can be found at legendsoftheautobahn.org and some at the registration website at motorsportreg.com
Best to all, -Eddy
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
1funa
Rep
Drives: 06Z4MC E30M3 E36M3 74 02 Turbo

Better desciption N. America Zagato display

a better description:
BMW ZAGATO COUPE
First shown at the prestigious Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este in Italy, the BMW Zagato coupe is the latest marriage of Italian design and Bavarian engineering. But it’s certainly not the first such union; the Milanese firm Carozzeria Touring built streamlined coupe bodywork for BMW’s Mille Miglia-winning 328 in 1940. Italian designers were also responsible for the eye-catching looks of the BMW 3200 Michelotti Vignale (1959), the BMW 700 (1959), the Bertone-designed BMW 3200 CS coupe (1962), and the iconic M1 (1978).
The body of the BMW Zagato coupe was built entirely by hand, tailoring a new skin to fit the car’s mechanical architecture. Zagato craftsmen spent many hours forming the aluminum sheet metal by hand, and meticulously molding it to give the car its unique form.
The car features an exclusive exterior finish in Rosso Vivace—call it Lively Red, if you like—to bring out the subtleties of the surfaces and forms. Like the American hot-rod favorite Black Cherry, the paint starts with a black primer coat, followed by a layer of shimmering metallic silver. Then come six ultra-thin coats of the transparent red shade, followed by two layers of clearcoat. Depending on how the light hits the body, the color spectrum ranges from something close to black all the way to a brilliant red.

BMW M8
In the early 1990s, BMW’s 8 Series coupes, while stunningly attractive, did nothing to enhance BMW’s performance reputation; even with a V12 engine, they were heavy and slow, with handling far from the nimble agility expected of a BMW coupe. Though many shortcomings were addressed in the 850Csi—referred to as “almost an M” by more than one enthusiast—in fact there was one true M version created by M GmbH: an M8 coupe featuring extensive use of carbon fiber to save weight, and a V12 engine prepared to the exacting specifications of legendary BMW engine genius Paul Rosche.
Alas, the M8 was not quite the flagship envisioned by the BMW AG Board of Management, and the prototype was quietly tucked away in the dark caverns of M GmbH, along with such projects as an M5 convertible and the M3 pickup truck. In fact, the M8 was said to have been destroyed; in the files of BMW of North America, there was only one aged photograph of the car. But 2009, it was discovered and presented during a journalists’ dinner at the BMW Museum in Munich, to much amazement and acclaim. Now, from its ignominious position in the basements of M GmbH, the M8 has emerged to take its rightful place on the stage of BMW performance history
Appreciate 0