ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
can you *feel* the sway bar difference now? I've read a lot of things about sway bars and such and have added it to my list of wants. Does the car feel stiffer?
I don't have sway bars in the M, only strut bar. Sway bars will help prevent body roll when you change directions. They do not affect the stiffness of the car over bumps or potholes. Those are affected by springs and shocks.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #24
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by esqu1re View Post
I don't have sway bars in the M, only strut bar. Sway bars will help prevent body roll when you change directions. They do not affect the stiffness of the car over bumps or potholes. Those are affected by springs and shocks.
well yeah, that's what i meant, sorry. i meant to ask if you could feel the car be tighter in transition between turns, if it's even something you could feel.
      08-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #25
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

Sways aren't the best way for "improving" handling... they are best for tuning characteristics out of the way the car handles... by stiffing the sways effectively you're stiffening the suspension as the car rolls.

As a rule softer springs = more grip (there is a factor of camber curves and roll centers as well as other factors but im not going to go into that)... essentially what im trying to get at is that sways will make the car have less roll and more difficult to feel as the car breaks traction for a novice.

Sways IMO are the last suspension mod to make... first look at geometry which means increasing negative camber at the front end to insure proper track alignment, then go to proper springs & dampening via coilover package designed for the car, after those variables are better adapted to your usage look into finer tuning the handling via adjustable sway bars.

Learn to drive the car stock, it will be alot more friendly to learn on and will keep you from worrying about whether or not your should adjust the rebound on the front left damper from 7 to 8 and change the rear sway settings from medium to full soft because you missed the apex on turn 6... keep things as simple as possible and focus on learning to drive properly.
      08-09-2010, 07:23 PM   #26
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^whs, I agree completely
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #27
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Anyone know if the Turner kit anything other than hardened washers? (& longer bolts)
That's it pretty much. Longer bolt, nut, and hardened washers if I remember the contents correctly.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #28
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious View Post
Sways aren't the best way for "improving" handling... they are best for tuning characteristics out of the way the car handles... by stiffing the sways effectively you're stiffening the suspension as the car rolls.

As a rule softer springs = more grip (there is a factor of camber curves and roll centers as well as other factors but im not going to go into that)... essentially what im trying to get at is that sways will make the car have less roll and more difficult to feel as the car breaks traction for a novice.

Sways IMO are the last suspension mod to make... first look at geometry which means increasing negative camber at the front end to insure proper track alignment, then go to proper springs & dampening via coilover package designed for the car, after those variables are better adapted to your usage look into finer tuning the handling via adjustable sway bars.

Learn to drive the car stock, it will be alot more friendly to learn on and will keep you from worrying about whether or not your should adjust the rebound on the front left damper from 7 to 8 and change the rear sway settings from medium to full soft because you missed the apex on turn 6... keep things as simple as possible and focus on learning to drive properly.

thanks. i wasn't looking at getting one of these anytime soon. I'm just starting to get a feel for the car as is now. just curious. i knew it 'held the car together' for lack of a better term right now, just wondering if it was felt. you broke it down perfectly though.

probably not going to mod too hardcore within the next year. rims/tries being first and we'll go from there. if i get stationed somewhere better, and hopefully closer to a track, i'd like to start getting into it.
      08-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #29
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
If it was your first mod, would you go with shocks, sway bars, a Strut bar or something else? Thanks for your help
IMO, you will get the most out of upgrading the tires.

The car is already a monster. Upgrade the rubber and then master the machine while it is otherwise stock.