ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Aero Side Skirts Installed (Photos)

I finally had time to get these installed yesterday. I really like them! It's cliche, but I do think the M version should have come with these stock, it's not overdone and adds just a little bit more aggression to the look along with picking up the existing lines. Would look good on any Z however!

I suspect I'm going to need to buy another set for a certain someone (Krissi) at some point as she was over these yesterday.

First shot is stock
Second is with aero
Last is aero as well

I'll get some better "aero" shots once I have a chance to wash her! (The "stock" shots were taken right after a full detail last summer--light was better then too.)

Many thanks to forum member Ig2k for being willing to work with me and for finding a way to get these shipped to me!
Attached Images

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-25-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

im definetly jelly !
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Follows the lines on the doors very well. Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I finally had time to get these installed yesterday. I really like them! It's cliche, but I do think the M version should have come with these stock,......
sort of agree....
The M should have had it's own unique M side skirts.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Looks great. I love how these look on our cars
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
sort of agree....
Seriously, the aero kit is just some shit BMW made for the plain plebeian Z4. Putting it on the M Roadster or M Coupe is almost sacrilege.
      12-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Lookin sharp!
      12-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorifto88 View Post
im definetly jelly !
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Follows the lines on the doors very well. Awesome!
I think so too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
sort of agree....
Kinda odd how the E92 M3 and the 1M both get bumper, side skirt, and other treatments and the Z4M didn't. Just a bit inconsistent. Not the end of the world of course--it's pure cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Looks great. I love how these look on our cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
Lookin sharp!
Thanks dubs and Vinnie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psygnosis View Post
Seriously, the aero kit is just some shit BMW made for the plain plebeian Z4. Putting it on the M Roadster or M Coupe is almost sacrilege.
I get the point you're trying to make, but honestly, this thread wasn't intended to backhandedly dump on the 2.5 or 3.0 Z4. Nothing like that was intended here. The OP says "would look good on any Z". I meant that.

The observation and opinion that "the M should have come with these stock" was commentary on that the on BMW's odd inconsistency in M car styling. The E92 M3 and the new 1M both pick up some unique bits for the bumper and the rest of the body including the side-skirts. The Z4M doesn't. It's just kind of weird. Nothing other than that was intended.

IMHO the 2.5s or 3.0s are far from "plain and plebeian", and are some of the best looking cars on the road. I think (and feel free to disagree with my taste preferences) that the aero stuff looks good on any Z4! This Z4 for example has both the skirts and the front aero bumper and looks great!

Last edited by Finnegan; 12-25-2011 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
I finally had time to get these installed yesterday. I really like them! It's cliche, but I do think the M version should have come with these stock, it's not overdone and adds just a little bit more aggression to the look along with picking up the existing lines. Would look good on any Z however!
Agree 100%. I planned on adding these before I even started shopping for an M Coupe - the way they widen the stance of the car is perfect. And they look even better on red, where they're a bit more visible than our black cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
Agree 100%. I planned on adding these before I even started shopping for an M Coupe - the way they widen the stance of the car is perfect. And they look even better on red, where they're a bit more visible than our black cars.
Yup! I think they'd stand out really well on lighter colors, AW, Silver, more so than on darker cars (where they still look good.) Which is why I'm probably in for two sets at some point since Krissi's is IR! (But you probably knew that already .)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Thanks man!

I think so too.

Kinda odd how the E92 M3 and the 1M both get bumper, side skirt, and other treatments and the Z4M didn't. Just a bit inconsistent. Not the end of the world of course--it's pure cosmetics.

Thanks dubs and Vinnie!

I get the point you're trying to make, but honestly, this thread wasn't intended to backhandedly dump on the 2.5 or 3.0 Z4. Nothing like that was intended here. The OP says "would look good on any Z". I meant that.

The observation and opinion that "the M should have come with these stock" was commentary on that the on BMW's odd inconsistency in M car styling. The E92 M3 and the new 1M both pick up some unique bits for the bumper and the rest of the body including the side-skirts. The Z4M doesn't. It's just kind of weird. Nothing other than that was intended.

IMHO the 2.5s or 3.0s are far from "plain and plebeian", and are some of the best looking cars on the road. I think (and feel free to disagree with my taste preferences) that the aero stuff looks good on any Z4! This Z4 for example has both the skirts and the front aero bumper and looks great!
Full disclosure: I was being a tad sarcastic with my response to inTgr8r. I just get tired of M owners thinking that just because it's an M everything on their car is/should be different from the normal Z4 (an already darn exciting car to being with) Spoiler, the M Sport seats were being installed in Z4's before the Z4M came out.

Anyway

On my 2004 3.0i I have the Aero front and sides, they look amazing and bmwZ's car is what mine dreams it could be. I fully agree that the Z4M should have come with the Aero side skirts. The E85/E86 look much better with them, it completes the dip in the bottom of the door. They 'pop' a bit more on a car with a lighter paint color, but the refection they pick up on our darker cars still does nice things.
      12-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #12
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Yup! I think they'd stand out really well on lighter colors, AW, Silver, more so than on darker cars (where they still look good.) Which is why I'm probably in for two sets at some point since Krissi's is IR! (But you probably knew that already .)
*cough* Yeah, where are those red side skirts??????

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #13
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I love the aero side skirts. I have some that need to be painted and slapped onto the car... just have too many things going on right now. But they look great! I agree and love how they widen the stance and accentuate the aggressive lines of the car. Also the Z door curves out towards the bottom and it's nice how the aero side skirt keeps that curve going.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Full disclosure: I was being a tad sarcastic with my response to inTgr8r. I just get tired of M owners thinking that just because it's an M everything on their car is/should be different from the normal Z4 (an already darn exciting car to being with) Spoiler, the M Sport seats were being installed in Z4's before the Z4M came out.

Anyway

On my 2004 3.0i I have the Aero front and sides, they look amazing and bmwZ's car is what mine dreams it could be. I fully agree that the Z4M should have come with the Aero side skirts. The E85/E86 look much better with them, it completes the dip in the bottom of the door. They 'pop' a bit more on a car with a lighter paint color, but the refection they pick up on our darker cars still does nice things.

I get it!

On to my anyway as well!

It really does pick up the lines of the car. And I like the reflections they add to my black car (which will be improved when it's clean of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelekitty View Post
Wait, Santa didn't bring yours? Damn you Santa!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #15
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelekitty View Post

Wait, Santa didn't bring yours? Damn you Santa!
Sure. Blame the fat man.

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #16
IronZ4M
First Class M
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe, E36 Coupe

Garage List
looks hot. need to install mine

'07 Z4MC l Alpine White l Supersprint Race Exhaust l Supersprint X Pipe l OEM Carbon fiber Spoiler l H&R Springs l Vossen VF051 l G-Power SK I 415 rwhp l RPI Scoop l ///M Performance Knop.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Nice job - Looks awesome!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
v3.0si
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4C 3.0si

mmm...

coupe with aero...

12-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:

Anyway

I hear ya...
My point wasn't really an M vs Z4 thing though.
It was an Aero kit vs M thing.
It's JMO but I love the complete Aero kit look, & think these sides belong to that kit more than they do the M.
I like the way that the hard edge of the bumper lip ties in with the straight hard edge of the Aero side.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #20
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Like them on Roadsters - Not on Coupes for some reason
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #21
FerRrari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Catrinel Menghia

Looks great! I agree these should have come stock in the Ms, it completes the look.
'07 IR/SBL ///M Roadster (GONE), '08 Tornado Red Triumph Daytona (GONE), '09 BRG/Cloth 6MT MINI Cooper S (Spontaneously Combusted), '06 IR/IR ///M3 Convertible 6MT (GONE), '04 JB/CR Z4 2.5i SMG (GONE)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 08:09 PM   #22
philippelyp
Private
Rep
Drives: SMG Supercharged

Looks great. I was on the fence of getting some and you definitely tilted me toward yes
Appreciate 0