ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #1
Cuervo1416
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

GROM BT3 for bluetooth

Big props to GROM for making such a great product for bluetooth connectivity.

Originally I bought an aux bluetooth device that plugged into the factory aux port. However, I was unhappy with the sound quality. I tried 2 different aux bluetooth products and both did not sound as good as the radio. Then I came across GROM.... I chose the BT3 (bluetooth/handsfree) that installs in the trunk. The install was painless and only took about an hour. The majority of the time was spent taking out the battery (located in the trunk) and putting it back in. The GROM connects to the car via 2 connectors, no cutting or splicing needed. Once installed, just turned the key and worked perfectly. Best part, it works with the steering wheel controls. Also, my car has the factory bluetooth and when a call comes in, it automatically switches to the car's bluetooth. Can't reccomend the BT3 enough, its worth every penny.

If you are wondering, I've got a 2007 Z4M roadster with factory nav and DSP. Turns out I did not need the DSP conversion kit that GROM offers, so that will be returned.

So if you are looking for great bluetooth and sound. Get a GROM!

https://gromaudio.com/store/all-bmwt.html

YouTube link that shows how easy it is.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
Black911S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe - Imola Red

are you only streaming music via bluetooth? have you tried streaming audio via the usb connection with an android phone? if so, does it work for you? For some reason I'm having issues with android phones.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Cuervo1416
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

I'm only streaming via bluetooth and I've got a galaxy note 8 with no issues. Which GROM interface did you get? The BT3 doesn't have a usb connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 01:12 AM   #4
Alaberti
And yet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V6 S BDE

I just installed this in my car last weekend. 100% agree most of the time is spent dealing with the battery - my positive connector took 3 people to get off because of the awkward angle and being (as I discovered during the install) an 8 year old battery that was beginning to leak, fusing itself with everything it touched. I replaced it during the upgrade and cleaned up accordingly.

My steering controls didn't work until I set bluetooth to use the grom for calls and media, not just media. I also have the factory bluetooth - your grom unit doesn't snag the phone calls from the factory unit? Mine seems keen on it, but I haven't installed the mic because I've no idea yet how I'd get it from the trunk into the cabin without pulling out the entire center console.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 06:37 AM   #5
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 BMW Z4 3.0si E85

GROM-BT3 Issues

Based on this thread and others, I bought the same unit, Grom-BT3. I have an '08 Z4 3.0 Si. The battery must be in a different location because I didn't have to contend with it at all. (Under the trunk floor.) My two plugs were stuffed behind the wall between the trunk and cabin.

With that said, I never got the unit to work properly. It would work anywhere from 47 sec to 2 minutes and then randomly switch to the radio. I would then have to click the Mode button 8 times to get the radio back to Track 1 selection to hear the BT again. Occasionally, the sound was extremely muffled.

I contacted GROM and they sent me a "jumper" to install on the circuit board which did nothing but remove the ability to see the song selections on the radio.

If anyone has a fix to this please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #6
rtpatter
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0

Did you ever get a fix for this. Bluebus is on back order until OCT. I would rather go ahead with GROM but want to make sure it works. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpatter View Post
Did you ever get a fix for this. Bluebus is on back order until OCT. I would rather go ahead with GROM but want to make sure it works. Thanks.
I can confirm that the GROM does not work with my '08 Z4. It would work great for about 2min each time, then switch back to radio. It would also show BT mode while playing the radio. GROM gave me a full refund. I guess they new it was a problem with our cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 09:34 AM   #8
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm seriously considering a BlueBus unit, but someone just posted this in another Z4 forum. What is the difference? According to the poster, they both work with the steering wheel controls. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Bluet...UqAEGy1IXMZPcw
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
rtpatter
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothy5000 View Post
I can confirm that the GROM does not work with my '08 Z4. It would work great for about 2min each time, then switch back to radio. It would also show BT mode while playing the radio. GROM gave me a full refund. I guess they new it was a problem with our cars.

What type of OEM radio did you have. I am assuming my 06' wouldn't be any different from your 08' but I see others on this forum praising the GROM
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #10
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpatter View Post
What type of OEM radio did you have. I am assuming my 06' wouldn't be any different from your 08' but I see others on this forum praising the GROM
I have the standard Business radio with these specs from the original invoice:
645 Radio control US
662 In-dash CD player
677 Premium hi-fi system
692 CD changer preparation
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

My 07 M coupe is compatible with the Bluebus. Works flawlessly
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #12
mothy5000
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
My 07 M coupe is compatible with the Bluebus. Works flawlessly
I haven't seen anything that BlueBus doesn't work great with. I'm just wondering what it does better than the $18 BT module found on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Bluet...UqAEGy1IXMZPcw Users of the eBay device say it still uses steering wheel controls and can answer/make phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 04:55 PM   #13
zed_fan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, E60 M5 6MT

I'd definitely go for the bluebus over grom all day after buying the grom unit. I initially bought the grom unit because it had the feature to show what song is playing and wasn't keen on the cheap ebay unit. Unfortunately it bugged out my navigation screen and would prevent the use of the menu. My understanding is that not all radios are affected. In order to fix it you have install a little jumper on the circuit board but it removes the song title feature... Sometimes it bugs out and I have to reboot spotify in order to hear any music. Another annoying bug is that my prev/next song buttons don't always register. I have to press them multiple times on occasion which is annoying. The bluetooth sound is flawless though so no complaints there.

$150 Grom vs the $18 BT ebay module... definitely get the $18 module. Gets you the basic bluetooth audio and radio button integrations. For $200 more, the bluebus basically gets you more features, customizations, and overall much better refinement. It has bluetooth autoplay when you start the car which is actually something I wish the grom had.

This guy reviews the bluebus and compares it to the grom (which would also be valid against the cheap ebay module)

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:14 AM   #14
Jcb001
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW Z4 coupe

Have just installed the BT3 today in my 07 coupe. I’m impressed with the quality and connectivity seems flawless so far. The only minor complaint would be Siri is slightly muffled. I don’t know why since the music quality is perfect. I had tried one of the cheaper Bluetooth units and found it only connected as aux and wouldn’t provide steering wheel controls, it ended up in the garbage. I have business cd with no nav. You have to disconnect the 6 disc changer from the trunk (if you have one) otherwise the system gets confused. I would have bought BlueBus but I’m impatient (:
Appreciate 0