ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #1
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Need Help Please

Hey Zpost,

Hoping someone can help me solve a mystery. First what I have done to the vehicle. Proflex E85 commander & Active Auto Tune. Everything else other than wheels, brakes and suspension are stock. I drive the car about 2-3 times a month, and store the car in my garage and have it on a trickle charger. I have changed the spark plugs recently, due to the car misfiring on Cylinder 3. Turns out I just needed to put better fuel in the car and drive it.

Problem: I crank the car, starts fine, I go for a drive, park turn the car off, then when i go to crank the car again, I get nothing, just 1 click. First I thought it was the battery, i recently left the car in a spot after this problem for about 4 hours then went back and it started right up. Therefore I think this is an electrical problem, like the car's security system inst allowing for me to start the car, the problem seems to have gotten worse because the past few times I was able to just try cranking it over the course of 5 minutes and eventually it would start. I also sometimes feel this only happens from driving the car hard, I can go out for a drive and stay under 4k rpm and have no problems after parking and starting the car again. I have not fully tested this theory... It just seems the longer the car sits after a drive the more likely it will crank fine. I also need to add that it is not throwing any codes.

Thank you in advance
      01-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
bdn3d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4m Coupe/ Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn3d View Post
Hey Zpost,

Hoping someone can help me solve a mystery. First what I have done to the vehicle. Proflex E85 commander & Active Auto Tune. Everything else other than wheels, brakes and suspension are stock. I drive the car about 2-3 times a month, and store the car in my garage and have it on a trickle charger. I have changed the spark plugs recently, due to the car misfiring on Cylinder 3. Turns out I just needed to put better fuel in the car and drive it.

Problem: I crank the car, starts fine, I go for a drive, park turn the car off, then when i go to crank the car again, I get nothing, just 1 click. First I thought it was the battery, i recently left the car in a spot after this problem for about 4 hours then went back and it started right up. Therefore I think this is an electrical problem, like the car's security system inst allowing for me to start the car, the problem seems to have gotten worse because the past few times I was able to just try cranking it over the course of 5 minutes and eventually it would start. I also sometimes feel this only happens from driving the car hard, I can go out for a drive and stay under 4k rpm and have no problems after parking and starting the car again. I have not fully tested this theory... It just seems the longer the car sits after a drive the more likely it will crank fine. I also need to add that it is not throwing any codes.

Thank you in advance
Bump
      01-02-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Ryan13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, Z4MR, M3, E36, M2, 535

Starter. Fine when cold, doesn’t work when it gets hot. Cools off, works again.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Ignition switch... easy to replace and inexpensive