ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 & E90 335i 6MT MSport

Unhappy M54 Engine Temp going in the red randomly

Hi,

Driving my '03 Z4 3.0i 6MT sitting at 132k and I overhauled the cooling system 7 months ago in march by myself(fun experience) and did an oil change with oil and air filter replaced with also. Rad, hoses, water pump, and except for the expansion tank and t-stat. Its my daily driver and has never left me stranded or overheated being reliable(thanks m54). Recently within a week twice my engine temp went to the red after a minute or two of being in idle. I turned the car off and checked the coolant right away as there was no steam or signs of the engine being hotter than usual. No coolant loss as the orange bob was at max and no leaks around the expansion tank.

Checked the oil and it was on low and added a quart. The second time was yesterday when I went to help out a friend whose hood got bent from failing to latch on to the hood clamp and I left my car idling while resolving his issue. Luckily I came back in time to see the temp climbing towards red and turned it off and waited for 10 minutes for it to go back to the center. Prayed that it would go down to the middle so I turned the heater on full blast in accessery It never overheated after I spent an hour driving it. As for oil leak issues I have done the oil filter housing gasket and the valve gasket does not have any leaks around but I am replacing it today. Any way to diagnose this? I also get a low coolant light often(every 5-10 minutes) even though my coolant is fine. The Creator Tool did not show any signs of t-stat failure for both the times and to make sure I also used INPA to diagnose(I keep a charged computer with me at all times).Any advice or help is highly appreciated. I am also a DIY person and if some things like the oil pan gasket has an easier way of doing it in the Z I would want to know also.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #2
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

Make sure it's been properly filled. Sounds like it still has some air in the system causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

^^^ try burping the system. Lots of youtube vids in the sequence.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #4
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Update: My idler pulley got melted. Replacing the serp belt and pulley on the weekend. No damage to other parts though by luck. Also replacing expansion tank along.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
Dynamics99
Private First Class
Rep

Update: Idler pulley melted causing the serpentine belt to come off the pulley system. Replaced idler pulley and serpentine belt and checked for any other damages. Car now does not overheat or make any sounds. She sounds healthy
Appreciate 0