ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #23
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK72 View Post
any updates on this Issue? I have same symptoms
Put in new tie rods but waiting for alignment. If this doesn’t do it don’t know what else it could be... will report back by weekend
      11-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Put in new tie rods and maybe 1/3 of the shimmy was gone but still present at speeds above 65. Only difference was I now noticed the vibration actually got better once I hit 90. This didn’t happen before but it had me thinking I should revisit the tires.

Took it back to my tire shop and asked them to test the fronts. Sure enough they were not balanced... even though they were at one point. And as to how was it that I experience the same issue on my other set of wheels...?

Issue was both were sets of wheels saw decent amount of track time (didn’t log many events this year but the few I did were open track days where I got 4+ hours). What I didn’t realize was one of my wheel weights came off from the first set of wheels (PSS). And on my 2nd set (R-comps), I had picked up so much track rubber on the inside barrel that it actually messed with my balance. Two different wheels with two different balancing issues.

What’s interesting though is it’s not like this hasn’t happened before on my 3.0si. But for some reason the M appears to be way more sensitive, which is why I never even reconsidered looking at the wheels.

But chalk it up to an expensive lesson. With 50,000 miles I was probably going to address a lot of the original suspension anyway but perhaps not do everything in 6 week span.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 11-05-2019 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #25
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Wowie -
SO good to hear it's resolved; it really is a never-say-never approach to some of this....tire balance....resolved.
      11-05-2019, 04:02 PM   #26
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Hydraulic vs. electric steering. Welcome to Z4M World!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:29 PM   #27
gds52
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe, BMW 328i E93 Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Quote:
Put in new tie rods and maybe 1/3 of the shimmy was gone but still present at speeds above 65. Only difference was I now noticed the vibration actually got better once I hit 90. This didn't happen before but it had me thinking I should revisit the tires.

Took it back to my tire shop and asked them to test the fronts. Sure enough they were not balanced... even though they were at one point. And as to how was it that I experience the same issue on my other set of wheels...?

Issue was both were sets of wheels saw decent amount of track time (didn't log many events this year but the few I did were open track days where I got 4+ hours). What I didn't realize was one of my wheel weights came off from the first set of wheels (PSS). And on my 2nd set (R-comps), I had picked up so much track rubber on the inside barrel that it actually messed with my balance. Two different wheels with two different balancing issues.

What's interesting though is it's not like this hasn't happened before on my 3.0si. But for some reason the M appears to be way more sensitive, which is why I never even reconsidered looking at the wheels.

But chalk it up to an expensive lesson. With 50,000 miles I was probably going to address a lot of the original suspension anyway but perhaps not do everything in 6 week span.
Someone mentioned about road force Balance.
When I got my new wheels (wider) and new MPS4S tires, the shaking was not going away. My car had about 16k miles.

Then I got road force balancing done from BMW. BMW found one wheel perfect but the other one needed tire moved a bit. After that it was perfect, even after few track Days there was no balancing issue.

So always get road force balancing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 08:32 PM   #28
BEQWIK
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 si Sapphire 13 535i msport

Garage List
I had similar vibration. Tires balanced fine but one rim was bent. Swapped out with known good one and vibration stopped.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 11:01 AM   #29
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Can OP list the P/Ns for exhanged parts?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #30
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnx View Post
Can OP list the P/Ns for exhanged parts?

Thanks!
If you read the entire thread it really came down to a second rebalancing...