ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Tixel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

:cry: I damaged my front bumper, need help

Hey everyone,

So a few weeks ago I parked my car and accidentally went over a curb stopper (those concrete blocks at the top of a parking spot, not sure what they are called exactly lol). Anyway this stupid piece of concrete had 2 steel rods sticking up from it. So when I went over it, it got hooked under my bumper. Mind you at the time I didnt know, so when I heard a noise, first thing i did was try to back out, then I heard a BANG!
I get out to see what happened. Basically the bumper got yanked because it got hooked onto the steel rods. Now my bumper is basically broken off from the drivers side.
My question is, being a first time BMW Z4 owner and a noob (the guys at my friends mechanics shop laughed at me, which they had obvious reason to), my question is what can I do to repair/fix/replace.
Buddy at mechanics shop said it might run me $1000 to replace entire bumper because it came off its hinges (broke off). BMW said about $2,000. What do I do
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Tixel
Canada
Rep

I will upload some pictures in detail as soon as I can get a hold of my camera (currently being borrowed).

Also I came across ShipKiller's post regarding his front bumper mishap and what he did with it. Problem is that guy knows his way around his Z, I dont, not yet at least. Here is his post:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621668
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Well, a good deal on a primed bumper cover is about $350... Plus about $150-200 to spray it... And whatever hourly it takes to install as well as extra parts that are inevitably cracked/broken underneath (ask me how I know!). I bet you could find someone to get it done in the $700-800 range.

Find a reputable body shop in your area and make sure an let them know your paying out of pocket. Often they'll cut an individual a break below what they'd charge the insular acne company.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
partlowr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 Roadster

Not sure if you're a fan of the Aero front bumper but you can find those new for $450 and a good body shops should be able to prep and paint it for about $350 or so.

Is the bumper cover actually broken/torn? Is it possible that you just popped the fastener clips?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

1k is about right at the dealer. 2k sounds way too much for just a new bumper cover + install + paint.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Bumper removal/install is a 30 minute or so thing. Here's the DIY.

Why not figure out what parts are needed yourself, and price it out? Assuming it's just plastic bits here and there, and major nothing structural (can't see how it would be), you can use RealOem to find what's needed, and even see how it fits together. (Prices on RealOem are can be bit higher than if you shop around--they'll give you a ballpark though.)

Buy a new primed bumper, have it painted, put it on yourself ("Shipkiller method"). Take a look at these resources and don't sell yourself short on being able to do it--with the DIYs, RealOEM, and some patience it's probably do-able. Even if there are some larger pieces, like the bumper carrier damaged, you can still do the work yourself.

If you pull the bumper and take some shots of the damage folks here can even provide some input and help.

Oh, the concrete blocks? I call those "bumper killers". Hate those ****ing things.

Last edited by Finnegan; 01-13-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

well when a ford F-250 decided to run over my front bumper heading for a parking spot, i got real up close and personal with my front bumper and just decided to chage it to the M-front end as they had one in stock and they gave it to me cheaper than the standard facia.

bumper cost of all the plastic and wheel housing and all that jazz with paint costed a little over 1000 bucks, so im sure yours will be a bit cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Tixel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the many suggestions guys. Unfortunately my string of bad luck has spilled over into me losing my camera
They say bad luck comes in three's but luckily my z4 is away for the winter so I say... BRING IT ON!! :P

but i digress... getting back to the original thread here I feel that partlowr might be right, in the sense that it might be just the fastener clips (the clips that hook the bumper onto the actual car). One of the mechanics pointed it out to me and said they are completely broken off on the drivers side. But why does that have to mean I have to replace the whole bumper? Can't new clips just be wielded on or something? there isnt much damage on the bumper itself, it just got yanked off its clips. They see that im young (and possibly look stupid) :P so they think they can take advantage. Little do they know I have a secret weapon.. Zpost forums!! woot! sorry I got overly excited. Anyway let me get my hands on a camera and try to show you what it is in detail. The thing is I paid another mechanic like $50 to just clip the bumper back on, he said a got them hooked with some rubber things and that this is only a temporary fix, he said dont be surprised if it falls back off in the coming months. What you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Tixel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Oh, the concrete blocks? I call those "bumper killers". Hate those ****ing things.

LOL!!! I agree 100%
Completely pointless I think... I mean do they honestly think someone will "by accident" drive over thier parking spot into another? I mean that seems a lot less worse than all the great z4's succumbing to fate much like mine
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixel View Post
I mean do they honestly think someone will "by accident" drive over thier parking spot into another?
Not only do I think that, I expect it.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #11
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
a few years ago, the metal barb sticking up from one of these stupid concrete blocks got me too in my 5 series at the office. Ripped the entire front face right off the car and sounded like a train wreck when it happened. Cost me $1800 at the time.

Since that happened, I ALWAYS back into parking spots that have blocks.

Keep us posted if you DIY or not... Yep - Shipkillers rebuild is quite inspiring.
      02-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixel View Post
Thanks for the many suggestions guys. Unfortunately my string of bad luck has spilled over into me losing my camera
They say bad luck comes in three's but luckily my z4 is away for the winter so I say... BRING IT ON!! :P

but i digress... getting back to the original thread here I feel that partlowr might be right, in the sense that it might be just the fastener clips (the clips that hook the bumper onto the actual car). One of the mechanics pointed it out to me and said they are completely broken off on the drivers side. But why does that have to mean I have to replace the whole bumper? Can't new clips just be wielded on or something? there isnt much damage on the bumper itself, it just got yanked off its clips. They see that im young (and possibly look stupid) :P so they think they can take advantage. Little do they know I have a secret weapon.. Zpost forums!! woot! sorry I got overly excited. Anyway let me get my hands on a camera and try to show you what it is in detail. The thing is I paid another mechanic like $50 to just clip the bumper back on, he said a got them hooked with some rubber things and that this is only a temporary fix, he said dont be surprised if it falls back off in the coming months. What you guys think?
There are two plastic clips that hold the bumper edges to the fenders. Each are $35.00. You normally cannot remove these because you will destroy them getting them out because they are made of plastic and clip into the fender. They take literally 20 seconds to install into the fender. Look at posts 449 and 450.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...bumper&page=12

They are number 20 in the diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...48&hg=51&fg=15

Now with that said. The bumper has four raised tabs or bumps molded into the edge that fits into the plastic clips. If these tabs are destroyed then you need to replace your bumper (fascia). Sorry.

In my opinion, the top mounting holes can be broken but if that is the case, you need to make sure that the top metal strip where the seven torx bolts are used, is securely fastened down. This strip is a compression strip anyway or your bumper would move all around. This is also how you adjust the gap between the bumper and the hood edge.

A new M bumper from BMW is approx. $450.00 and is primed only.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Replace It

Its not that hard to remove and replace one of these Front bumpers. I am changing mine out for an "M". If you are interested in my old one PM me. Its a facelift bumper complete with fogs and the lower grille. I'll let the whole thing go for a couple hundred. Although I think shipping would be not so cheap.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Shipping the bumper (30lbs.) via Greyhound is about $69.00. I just shipped a front and rear ///M bumpers to Oregon. $69 each box....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
The Shoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M COUPE

I will have a Black Sapphire Z4M bumper up for sale soon, just in the process of slapping a new one on...its not perfect but Ill be selling it fairly cheap...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
There are two plastic clips that hold the bumper edges to the fenders. Each are $35.00. You normally cannot remove these because you will destroy them getting them out because they are made of plastic and clip into the fender. They take literally 20 seconds to install into the fender. Look at posts 449 and 450.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...bumper&page=12

They are number 20 in the diagram:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...48&hg=51&fg=15

Now with that said. The bumper has four raised tabs or bumps molded into the edge that fits into the plastic clips. If these tabs are destroyed then you need to replace your bumper (fascia). Sorry.

In my opinion, the top mounting holes can be broken but if that is the case, you need to make sure that the top metal strip where the seven torx bolts are used, is securely fastened down. This strip is a compression strip anyway or your bumper would move all around. This is also how you adjust the gap between the bumper and the hood edge.

A new M bumper from BMW is approx. $450.00 and is primed only.

Random question bump, does anyone remember what screw or rivet goes into the wheel liner, bumper and this bracket? Mine is missing (after many times taking off my bumper) but can't seem to recall which would go in there.

Talking about clip #21 in diagram, what is used to secure the bumper to it?

10-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #17
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Oh the dreaded blocks. My fangs have been a victim. Luckily the whole bumper didn't come off. I am getting the fangs repaired and the bumper repainted. The latest estimate I have gotten in MD is 682
      10-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Oh the dreaded blocks. My fangs have been a victim. Luckily the whole bumper didn't come off. I am getting the fangs repaired and the bumper repainted. The latest estimate I have gotten in MD is 682
That sounds really high for a touch-up, a full respray might cost that much (on the high end).
      10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #19
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Random question bump, does anyone remember what screw or rivet goes into the wheel liner, bumper and this bracket? Mine is missing (after many times taking off my bumper) but can't seem to recall which would go in there.

I think its one of the plastic push pins...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #20
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

those plastic corner pieces snap into the body of the car, the bumper edges snap into that (align the grooves properly), and then a plastic expanding rivet that you can buy anywhere holds it to the fender liner.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
      10-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #21
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post

Blind Rivets 07147172274. I purchase HF tool for $16.00.

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-to...ets-97757.html
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The only issue with the blind rivets is they are a 'one time use'. The expanding rivets are removable. I have had no issues with using them.
Appreciate 0