ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #23
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimebt View Post
i dont think that the condensation is getting in through the back of the housing, because it has a tight round rubber cap covering the back where you put in the bulb and the ballast. im almost sure the condensation is getting in somewhere around the headlight.

and yes, they are identical to the spyder headlights.

i used the original xenon bulbs that i took from my oem headlights, but i didnt use the original ballast, because it didnt fit inside the the hole (that is covered by the rubber cap) where you put the bulb and the ballast, thats why i used a smaller ballast.

the headlights align perfectly with the fender - hood - bumper.

here is a picture of them at night. they were kind of dirty though...
Thanks for the info. Went ahead and ordered the set. Look good on the car. I will seal also before I install.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #24
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2004 e85 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock5ga View Post
Thanks for the info. Went ahead and ordered the set. Look good on the car. I will seal also before I install.
go ahead, you are not going to regret, the car will look like new again.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #25
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
please let me know when you have your headlights installed.

i discovered that the flickering is due to the bad and defect interior system of the headlight, that is not tight and adjusted properly with the rest of the of it. so it is not the bulb, its the hole black interior.

i also found this paper that was shipped along with the headlights, and just now is starting to make sense how this fuc.... headlights are cheap and shi., because they knew that condensation could occur, and it did!

i asked for an exchange though, and they agreed.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 10:22 PM   #26
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine are due in tomorrow. Working this weekend, but I had them drop shipped to my friend that owns the body shop. I should be able to take a look at them Sunday. Just picked up aero bumper earlier today. Will let you know what happens once I inspect and install them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #27
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Mine are due in tomorrow. Working this weekend, but I had them drop shipped to my friend that owns the body shop. I should be able to take a look at them Sunday. Just picked up aero bumper earlier today. Will let you know what happens once I inspect and install them.
ok thanks!

another thing, have you change the transmissions fluid of your z4? mine has 108k miles, and as far as i know, it has never been change. transmission is running good..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #28
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
ok thanks!

another thing, have you change the transmissions fluid of your z4? mine has 108k miles, and as far as i know, it has never been change. transmission is running good..
Mine is a 6sp manual. I changed the fluid when I purchased it. Pentosin MTF-2. Found it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I am in the Atlanta market and they were able to have it in the store the next day. Made a big difference in shift quality. If you have an automatic, I believe the Pentosin ATF-1 should be the correct OE fluid, but I would suggest you double check that. I would replace either way.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #29
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 6sp manual. I changed the fluid when I purchased it. Pentosin MTF-2. Found it at O'Reilly Auto Parts. I am in the Atlanta market and they were able to have it in the store the next day. Made a big difference in shift quality. If you have an automatic, I believe the Pentosin ATF-1 should be the correct OE fluid, but I would suggest you double check that. I would replace either way.
thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2013, 04:56 AM   #30
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep

My lights came in and were the actual Spyder brand in the box. The factory HID bulbs will not transfer. I ordered H1 and H7 HID Kits with the ac ballast and the warning canceller and they say there will be no flicker or warning lights on the dash. There is also a strip across the top, that I am assuming is a daytime running light? My vehicle connector does not have a pin in the socket that feeds this light. It is the white light across the top of the headlight assembly? Is yours connected? I may leave it disconnected anyway and not worry about it. Will fill you in once the HID kits arrive and I can install the lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #31
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

mines did not have that pin in the socket of the daytime strip light, i dont know how they do it to make them work, but i ended up disconnecting them anyways, because the car looks better with those lights turned off.

i believed that my headlights are not the original spyders, but i have just received the new replacement ones, maybe next week i will have them install again. ill keep you posted

regards!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I realize that the original thread for these was from 2012 and it's almost 2014 (dead thread) but I figured since people are probably looking into these I'd at least give it a shout out.

I put a pair of these on my Z3 before I sold it and at first they seemed great but was sadly disappointed when I found out how they functioned. The visibility on them is OK, nothing like the original projectors. The halos were extremely dim (especially in sunlight) and would only "appear" bright in photos and little else. Bulbs were cheap but you couldn't refit the housing for HIDs as they are too small unless you're willing to fabricate. They house H1 bulbs and these are easy to come by, and I think that was the only pro.

The materials in my opinion were cheap and flimsy, the plastic used for the exterior was a lot less impressive than I thought it was going to be and feared that if the car was anything other than garage stored it would fall apart rather readily.

I'm not saying that these are awful headlights, I'm just expressing my experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 01:37 AM   #33
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
I realize that the original thread for these was from 2012 and it's almost 2014 (dead thread) but I figured since people are probably looking into these I'd at least give it a shout out.

I put a pair of these on my Z3 before I sold it and at first they seemed great but was sadly disappointed when I found out how they functioned. The visibility on them is OK, nothing like the original projectors. The halos were extremely dim (especially in sunlight) and would only "appear" bright in photos and little else. Bulbs were cheap but you couldn't refit the housing for HIDs as they are too small unless you're willing to fabricate. They house H1 bulbs and these are easy to come by, and I think that was the only pro.

The materials in my opinion were cheap and flimsy, the plastic used for the exterior was a lot less impressive than I thought it was going to be and feared that if the car was anything other than garage stored it would fall apart rather readily.

I'm not saying that these are awful headlights, I'm just expressing my experience.
i used an x5 hid module and its ballasts with the spyder headlights (because the oem ones didnt fit): http://www.aliexpress.com/item/63127...200914299.html

in fact, the spyders (with my setup) outperformed the oem hid ones, they look a lot brighter and have more vision angle.

the halos look like, for example, to the original e93´s, but with white light. i can tell you this because i´d owned that car and i changed the halos yellow light bulbs that they came from factory with white led bulbs. they dont look bright at all on daylight.

this headlights may be cheap, but for the price they DO NOT LOOK CHEAP AT ALL and are worth a try.

and also, mines ARE the spyder headlights, i was wrong thinking they were not.

hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 03:32 PM   #34
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
My lights came in and were the actual Spyder brand in the box. The factory HID bulbs will not transfer. I ordered H1 and H7 HID Kits with the ac ballast and the warning canceller and they say there will be no flicker or warning lights on the dash. There is also a strip across the top, that I am assuming is a daytime running light? My vehicle connector does not have a pin in the socket that feeds this light. It is the white light across the top of the headlight assembly? Is yours connected? I may leave it disconnected anyway and not worry about it. Will fill you in once the HID kits arrive and I can install the lights.
how did you do? did you have any problems?

could you tell me where exactly did you buy the h1 and h7 hid kit, the ballast and the warning canceller?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:31 PM   #35
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Brock,

I think I can only agree with you there. I was amazed at the price for these headlights and it was a serious upgrade from the stock housing on my original Z3 (they had fogged over and were barely functional at night). Even after extreme lengths of cleaning there was no saving those headlights.

When i found these they were a whopping 300 dollars for both headlights with bulbs. I thought that was far too good to be true. When using them as a housing for other HIDs from non HIDs I felt they would be a good tool. I never got to see them age though and I wish I had. It seemed they needed to be garage kept as some of the film on the exterior of my plastic housing began to deteriorate as they came up on maybe 5 months old. This may have also been due to power washing the car for cleaning (self clean/wash places).

I think that damage and the wear/tear of these headlights could easily be offset by their price. I can't argue with that aspect of these headlights at the very least... I would just strongly suggest bulb replacement as you have readily done. I'm glad you've had a good experience with them!

-Skiddish
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:45 PM   #36
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
Brock,

I think I can only agree with you there. I was amazed at the price for these headlights and it was a serious upgrade from the stock housing on my original Z3 (they had fogged over and were barely functional at night). Even after extreme lengths of cleaning there was no saving those headlights.

When i found these they were a whopping 300 dollars for both headlights with bulbs. I thought that was far too good to be true. When using them as a housing for other HIDs from non HIDs I felt they would be a good tool. I never got to see them age though and I wish I had. It seemed they needed to be garage kept as some of the film on the exterior of my plastic housing began to deteriorate as they came up on maybe 5 months old. This may have also been due to power washing the car for cleaning (self clean/wash places).

I think that damage and the wear/tear of these headlights could easily be offset by their price. I can't argue with that aspect of these headlights at the very least... I would just strongly suggest bulb replacement as you have readily done. I'm glad you've had a good experience with them!

-Skiddish
you are absolutely right!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #37
kippintranet
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 E85 2.5i

Spyder Connector not Compatible

Purchased a pair of Spyder ( Non HID Type ) Halo Projector Headlights - Black for my 2004 Z4 but found that the connectors between the Halo lights and vehicle are incompatible. The Halo male connector has 7-pins. The Z4 female connector has 6-pins. I have contacted Spyder, albeit over the weekend, and await a response but I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this problem or have a solution. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:40 AM   #38
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
how did you do? did you have any problems?

could you tell me where exactly did you buy the h1 and h7 hid kit, the ballast and the warning canceller?

thanks!
http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/
The high beam H1 bulbs would not fit in the housing. I took the metal connector out of the headlight and filed it to fit. The H7 low beam bulbs fit fine. I took the rubber plug and used a quarter as a template to cut a hole to run the HID wiring through so I would still have a seal. The car is in a friend of mines body shop. I am waiting for him to paint the bumper, then we will fit the bumper and align the headlamp housing. I will then aim the headlights. It looks as if it will be easier to get to the adjusters with the bumper off. I mounted all of the HID wiring and ballasts to the area below the light behind the bumper. I figure if I have a problem with the lights, the bumper has to come off anyway. I tied the halos in to the main accessory relay wiring in the underhood fuse box so they come on with the key as DRL's. No operational time to tell just how well they will perform. After reading the remarks Skiddish made on the wear, I may look in to putting a protective film on them before putting back on the road. The body shop has been busy, fortunately, and I told him mine was no rush. I will let you know when I am able to get it out and see how they actually perform.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #39
jaimebt
Private
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
http://www.carxenonhidkits.com/
The high beam H1 bulbs would not fit in the housing. I took the metal connector out of the headlight and filed it to fit. The H7 low beam bulbs fit fine. I took the rubber plug and used a quarter as a template to cut a hole to run the HID wiring through so I would still have a seal. The car is in a friend of mines body shop. I am waiting for him to paint the bumper, then we will fit the bumper and align the headlamp housing. I will then aim the headlights. It looks as if it will be easier to get to the adjusters with the bumper off. I mounted all of the HID wiring and ballasts to the area below the light behind the bumper. I figure if I have a problem with the lights, the bumper has to come off anyway. I tied the halos in to the main accessory relay wiring in the underhood fuse box so they come on with the key as DRL's. No operational time to tell just how well they will perform. After reading the remarks Skiddish made on the wear, I may look in to putting a protective film on them before putting back on the road. The body shop has been busy, fortunately, and I told him mine was no rush. I will let you know when I am able to get it out and see how they actually perform.
thank you for sharing man!
Appreciate 0