ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #45
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm View Post
Hey, what's the schedule for Saturday like anyway, in case we can make it to meet people and spectate?
Based on last time, the drivers' meeting and student/instructor meet-up is from 7:30 to 8:30 Saturday morning, and then cars are on track from 8:30 to 5:30 pm in 18 sessions (4 each for A-B-C-D, and 2 sessions for instructors). Lunch break is 12:15 to 1:15.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #46
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
any feedback from the event? i might make a trip down to VIR in july (coming from nj!)
      03-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #47
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
any feedback from the event? i might make a trip down to VIR in july (coming from nj!)
What type/kind of feedback are you looking for?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #48
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
What type/kind of feedback are you looking for?
how well it was organized, how much track time, how the instructors were, etc...
      03-24-2011, 08:17 PM   #49
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Now, I've only done three schools total, and all of those with Tarheel BMW CCA and all at VIR, and so I can't compare to other HPDEs. That said, I think they run a top-notch school and plenty of folks I've met down there concur, many of them having run with other organizations.

BMW CCA by and large seems to have a good rep as far as instructors go, and I've been pleased with the four guys I've worked with, including a new graduate of the CCA's instructor training program. If I remember correctly, instructor candidates must have themselves completed 30 track days with an instructor before being eligible to enter the training program, and they take it very seriously, as far as I can tell.

I did have a classroom instructor at my first school who was a little enthralled with the sound of his own voice and didn't give us much useful information--we instead talked about how we should strive to one day drive the Nurburgring. Since then, though, the classroom instructors have been great. CCA is big on it being a school with instruction, so don't go in with a plan to get signed off and run a lot by yourself.

Tarheel's usual schedule is four 25-minute sessions each day, and it's a two-day school. So, that's 200 minutes of track time, or 70 or so hot laps on the full course at my level. The school is very organized, runs on-time unless there's an incident, and then they adjust well. There's usually 30+/- cars per run group, which is around 10 cars per mile on the full course. Not bad, traffic-wise, other than maybe the novice group.

Keep in mind that the summer school usually is on the North Course, and you miss some of what I think makes VIR such a great track. But then, you get to do some of the tricky, technical sections twice as much.

Come in October--I'll be back then.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #50
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I will mirror those comments and add some of my own.

The in-class instructor for this event was Chuck Hawks and I have had him other groups. We have become acquaintances, since I am not afraid to ask questions and discuss various techniques. He has a huge number of years of doing this and is very good at getting your mind ready to go try new things, but always reinforces the basics.

I have been with other groups and have had great instruction and a great time.

If you pick the group you will do your day or weekend with well, then you will get the most out of it.
Appreciate 0