ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

Autox

I am new to autocrossing and I am looking to go to my first event next month at an airstrip. I just had a couple of questions. Do you ever downshift into first? Also, how should i set my car up for the first time?
Thanks!
      05-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

They'll have instructors that go for rides with you that will give you tips, etc.

You pretty much shift into 2nd and leave it there for the whole course. Maybe check out this book called "Speed Secrets - Winning AutoCross Techniques" You can get it on Amazon and it gives you all the info you need on figuring out lines, trail breaking, and everything else you need to know about it all.

One major thing you need to figure out will be your tire pressures. Tire pressure rises as the tires heat up, so you need to keep them at a constant hot pressure by bleeding out the air each run to keep them where you need them to be. So I recommend getting a portable air compressor as well for when you're done and want to drive home, so you can re-fill your tires to a safe pressure for freeway driving or if you bleed too much out at the track.

Just ask one of the people there that looks like they know what's up and they'll give you a crash course on that and any other questions you have. People are really friendly and helpful so they'll point you in the right direction when you have questions.

Be super smooth with the throttle / braking / streering input and keep both hands on the wheel at 10 / 2. And turn off DSC and turn on Sport mode !!!!

It's a blast... you'll be hooked
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
Just ask one of the people there that looks like they know what's up and they'll give you a crash course on that...
Not sure if that's the right wording I'd use...

OP, if this is your first event ever, you're asking way too many questions you will not remember the answers to come the day of the event. The only three things you'll need to know, is show up, relax, and have fun. Outside of that, any preparation work you do for your first event will all be for naught, since 1) you won't have any idea whether or not those preparations/set-up helped and 2) it's only going to overwhelm you.

Start asking questions about set-up when it's your 3rd to 5th event. By then you shouldn't be so overwhelmed and may even be able to pick up a tip or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info.
      05-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

The first thing to do is to wash your car and give a nice coat of wax. It will make the car faster

As the hack said since it is your first event you probably be overwhelmed to the point any advice we give here you will forget. Just learning how to spot the gates can be a challenge. As bkz4mc said.... you will only use second gear for the whole course. The best advice I can give is get as many instructors to ride with you as possible. Some instructors are better then others but all will be able to give you helpful hints. Beyond that just relax and have fun! You will be hooked after the first event!

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

I think he's gonna do great... Heck, he already has a AW Z4 M Coupe... THE BEST COLOR PERIOD !!!! hahaha
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
I think he's gonna do great... Heck, he already has a AW Z4 M Coupe... THE BEST COLOR PERIOD !!!! hahaha
HELL YEAH!
      05-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
boxter4ever
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0si

hi go to gulfcoastautocrossers.com they have a list of prep stuff.

Last edited by boxter4ever; 05-28-2009 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: 11111
Appreciate 0