ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-17-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
LisaLannister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 650 Xi

Soft black top cleaning

What would be the best product to use to clean the soft black top?

The top in my car is in great condition but have these small areas which looks like a light sand colour which can not be removed just by using a dry rag and brushing them away.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Personally.... dish soap. It has degreasers in it and you get a nice foamy action when you agitate it.

Wet the top down and apply liberally. Use a soft bristle brush softly on the top to lift dirt out. Rinse until the roof is soap free.

When you go to waterproof the roof I would use the BMW product. The trick to get the best absorption of any waterproofing product is to soak the roof down.... make sure it is saturated and then let start to dry. When it's still damp/wet apply your product then. It will absorb into the roof material. Let dry....

Why... think microfibre cloth. When dry it is absolutely useless to pick up a spill... but get it wet... it will absorb water instantly. Same principle.

In this case you want the roof to absorb the product.. not reject it...

Simply using it on a dry roof will have the product on the surface of the fabric.
      07-17-2020, 03:29 PM   #3
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

I've had good luck with the autoglym kit. Beads water very well too.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
jhm5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, 440i, Z4 MR, 2002

I've been happy with Ragg Top Cleaner and Protectant. Get the product for a fabric roof. The protectant can leave a greasy surface on glass and paint, so make sure to mask that off or wash it off if you get over spray from applying to the fabric. You can find how to videos online.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLannister View Post
What would be the best product to use to clean the soft black top?

The top in my car is in great condition but have these small areas which looks like a light sand colour which can not be removed just by using a dry rag and brushing them away.

Thanks
I've used 303 products that work well.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #6
B328iC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 97 328iC, 2003 Z4

I used RaggTopp. After using the protectant, 2 coats, I was told the top should bead water but doesn't. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I used to use rag top but since i'm redying from beige to black I bought the
renovo convertible top dye with their cleaner, and they also have a proofer after you clean or redye to make it waterproof..

My beige had this black line over it, i figure if i color it black, I'll hide that line
      07-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #8
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I'm not going to play "expert" here, but years ago I talked on the phone with a representative from one of the cloth top manufacturers. He may have been from Haartz.

His advice was to wash the top with a cleaner/soap as little as possible (certainly easier if the car is garaged) and to use cloth top specific cleaners and protectants. He mentioned Raggtop specifically as one they approved of. The concern he said was to preserve the stitching. Additionally, he said every time you use a cleaner you strip away any protectant that was on the top and will need to re-apply. Use a vacuum to remove surface dirt and do water only rinses with a very soft brush to get rid of deeper dirt.

Your mileage may vary....
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Oldmcst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 3.0I

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B328iC View Post
I used RaggTopp. After using the protectant, 2 coats, I was told the top should bead water but doesn't. Is that normal or did I do something wrong?
I did mine last fall with 303 and it still beads up a bit, but when I really flood it with soap and water the cloth just soaks up the moisture.
I just read the previous quote about just vacuuming and no soap when washing. I think that makes good sense.
Appreciate 0