ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-13-2020, 01:15 AM   #1
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Z4M with vanos top end rebuild

Hi looking at a 2006 Z4M, pretty clean car but the owner said the top end was rebuild at ~35k miles due to "the vanos unit which controls valve timing malfunctioned causing the valves to touch the pistons". Car currently has 50k miles and the asking price is reasonable. Shop that did the work is reputable.

Ive never seen a s54 rebuild, so im just a bit skeptical and want to cover my bases. Just wondering if theres anything I should watch out for engine wise? Does this happen due to abuse or poor maintenance? How about the bottom end and rod bearings?

Last edited by rod.bearings; 07-13-2020 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #2
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I would not buy that myself, i would be worry all the time thinking something might be out of wack
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
I would not buy that myself, i would be worry all the time thinking something might be out of wack
Yea for sure but wanted to cover all my bases and do a PPI before deciding that.
      07-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Roadroach
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe w/stick

Motor has 15k miles on it since the rebuild? That would ease my mind a bit - I'd think if something was hinky with the rebuild it would have shown up by now. I'd be MUCH more leary if it was just rebuilt and then put on the market.

If it was my money and it passed the PPI I wouldn't worry about the rebuild. If everything else is kosher and the price is right, I'd do it (but that's just me). It does seem odd to have the vanos crap the linens that early though.
2014 981 Cayman S manual
Appreciate 2
Finnegan701.00
wdb4695.50
      07-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Hi looking at a 2006 Z4M, pretty clean car but the owner said the top end was rebuild at ~35k miles due to "the vanos unit which controls valve timing malfunctioned causing the valves to touch the pistons". Car currently has 50k miles and the asking price is reasonable. Shop that did the work is reputable.

Ive never seen a s54 rebuild, so im just a bit skeptical and want to cover my bases. Just wondering if theres anything I should watch out for engine wise? Does this happen due to abuse or poor maintenance? How about the bottom end and rod bearings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadroach View Post
Motor has 15k miles on it since the rebuild? That would ease my mind a bit - I'd think if something was hinky with the rebuild it would have shown up by now. I'd be MUCH more leary if it was just rebuilt and then put on the market.

If it was my money and it passed the PPI I wouldn't worry about the rebuild. If everything else is kosher and the price is right, I'd do it (but that's just me). It does seem odd to have the vanos crap the linens that early though.
+1. The 15K miles since offers a good bit of insurance. If the PO did any upgrades (VANOS hub, Beisen, Etc.) that's a plus, and you won't need to do valves until around 65K miles. Can't add anything else.
Appreciate 0