ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #177
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Garage List
Cabrini–Green was a Near North-side neighborhood in Chicago even the cops hesitated to visit. Bad neighborhood. Chicago gave up rehabbing that neighborhood and chose to tear it down sometime around '95. I was in Chicago from '82 to '85, Cabrini-Green was a famous no-go zone.
      12-11-2019, 05:19 PM   #178
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Don't forget the winters. I was at Kellogg for some training and if a snowflake passed your face it wasn't going to hit the ground for 10 miles.

I know that's right! Christmas day '82 the wind chill was 100 below zero. Radio was warning everybody to stay indoors unless your place was on fire because any exposed skin would freeze in three minutes.
Of course, being the dumb college kid I was, I just had to ride around in my Cougar and check things out. So stupid. Any water in my gas line and I would have been a frozen dumb college kid.
      12-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #179
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobiggens View Post
Lining in Tennessee - the "patron state of shooting stuff" - sure must be like a fantasy to some of the posters on here. Guns and open carry are a way of life here.

One of the things I would like to do is figure how to modify something within reach inside the car to conceal a pistol yet have quick access. I mounted one of those modular Blackhawk Serpa holsters vertically in the console of my 2001 Ford truck. That holds a full-sized 1911 perfectly and completely complies with the law.

My 88 GT Mustang had a section of door panel detached from the rest of the door panel, converted into a spring loaded flip-out panel, and a couple of '87 mustang electric gas tank releases to hold the panel shut. Closed, it was a perfect fit. Push the left horn button and the panel pops open. Sure wish I could do that to my BMW, but the door panel is not shaped right for that.

Has anybody modified their F30 to conceal a pistol??
First, as a lifelong NY-Metro resident, it is a foreign concept to carry... at least legally.

I have an accomplished background in customizing vehicles professionally. This includes building more than my share of hidden "mobile safes" in vehicles. Often it would become a little funny when we would ask the client how large the safe needed to be. They'd kinda dance around the answer. Nobody really wanted to outright say they wanted a stash box for a gun (or drugs). That's far from legal around here. Of course, some people legitimately needed mobile safes... Like the (Manhattan) diamond district guys I've catered to.
      12-11-2019, 09:46 PM   #180
pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
Yeah, I don't know if you've seen CNN, but this can not be true, guns are never used for self defense, in fact all guns run around killing people by themselves.
That's correct. The pizza delivery guy was just serving as a "gun cabbie" because - at least until CNN tells us differently - guns can't drive.
      12-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #181
jimbobiggens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
First, as a lifelong NY-Metro resident, it is a foreign concept to carry... at least legally.

I have an accomplished background in customizing vehicles professionally. This includes building more than my share of hidden "mobile safes" in vehicles. Often it would become a little funny when we would ask the client how large the safe needed to be. They'd kinda dance around the answer. Nobody really wanted to outright say they wanted a stash box for a gun (or drugs). That's far from legal around here. Of course, some people legitimately needed mobile safes... Like the (Manhattan) diamond district guys I've catered to.
Tennessee law states as long as your handgun is not visible from casual observation from outside the locked vehicle, it is legal to have a gun in the vehicle anywhere you are legally permitted to be. This is a recent law and did not exist when I had my "James Bond" door panel.

The console cavity is not deep enough to hold a pistol of any size in an orientation to be useful. Laying a gun on it's side means there is no way to hold it securely, it would be free to move around. The best choice seems to be cutting the floor of the cavity and the A/C ducts to mount a holster to the side of the console. That may give enough room for a Glock, but not a full-size 1911. I didn't have to cut anything on my truck console.