ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #1
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i 2021

Please help with my roof!!!!

Hi guys,

I am new in the forum, I am from Mexico and I was very happy today because I just bought my Z4 E85 2007.

Saturday I checked very well the car and opened and closed the roof of course and the Z4 did it very well.

But today I came to home after the buy and open the roof a little in the way, have it like 10 mins opened, then closed and all well, but when I want to open it again only moves a little to open (with the open button) but then nothing, then I closed but go to close then a little open (this with the close button) and the red led stay flashing, then I leave the car off like one hour then again I want to open and the same only moves a little and nothing else and the red led flash again, seems like stucked.

So I looked how to open manually to see if something is not letting to open the roof, I put the roof completely down and now I cant close it, also I cant manually only I can move it very little and is very strong to close, so I dont want to do a damage or something.

I hear the motor(s) when I press the open/close roof button.

I am very sad, because I was really very happy to have my Z4 now with me, but now I am very worried, please help. (So sorry for my bad english)

This is my new baby......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #2
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
You're roof motor is probably shot,if you just bought the car, contact the seller.
      09-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Greeting's from the USA

Your top is currently down? yes/no

the red handle by-pass will not release the top. yes/no

Note: slightly pull out the red handle in your trunk and then twist the handle. Just pulling on the handle and then letting go.... does not engage the by-pass system. The red handle should be twisted about 90 degrees. There are video's on youtube on how to engage the red handle by pass.

you can hear the motor running both up/down yes/no

Please try resetting your windows & then try moving the top with the button in the car. Here's how to reset windows:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196

Please get or simply have error codes read Your going to need a code reader on this
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybat View Post
You're roof motor is probably shot,if you just bought the car, contact the seller.
Yes I think that too, I will contact seller to see if he can solve me something.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Greeting's from the USA

Note: slightly pull out the red handle in your trunk and then twist the handle. Just pulling on the handle and then letting go.... does not engage the by-pass system. The red handle should be twisted about 90 degrees. There are video's on youtube on how to engage the red handle by pass.

Please try resetting your windows & then try moving the top with the button in the car. Here's how to reset windows:

https://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196

Please get or simply have error codes read Your going to need a code reader on this
YES, I could do it with the red handle.

Yes, now the roof is completely down, but now is not closing / going up.
But also very strange, I can close / up the roof manually, only can move it a little up, but appears like stucked.

I hear the motor of the top of the roof is working but the one that close/open the roof I cant hear it. Is located in the side of the pilot right ?, almost in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

"I hear the motor of the top of the roof is working but the one that close/open the roof I cant hear it. Is located in the side of the pilot right ?, almost in the trunk."

Ok, glad I asked the above question again. The motor you can not hear is the main motor which moves the top up/down. The motor you do hear releases the top from the windshield.

Your motor( open/closes the top) need's to be replaced. The reason you currently can't move the top is because the valve in the emergency pressure release system is jammed (red handle).

Your 1st step is to close the top. You'll need 2 people to do this. Place one on either side of the top and start lifting it up ...with even pressure on both sides. This may take more than a hour to do manually because of the jammed valve.

Your other option is to cut a hydo line which will release the pressure the top is now locked under. The top will move freely and basically be a manual top until your ready to repair the motor.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #7
BobR07Z
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4

There are several postings and video on this site that are very conclusive to help you with this problem. I have also added my top issues and posted. Either search the forum, and/or look at my posting. The top isn't very difficult once you learn the function of everything.

Oh, nice looking Z !
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys thank you so much for your awesome help!!!

I talked with the last owner (he is my friend) and he did this to fix my problem, then he totally closed the roof manually, then he disconected the battery and completly opened manually, then he connected the battery and scanned the car, he found one code and deleted it and then uuaaalaaaaa hehehe my roof worked again. YEAH!!!!

But now want to fix the red led light always flashing in the roof control, the piece/part where the tiny sensor have to be placed is broken, do u know what part is it and if is complicated to change it ?, the sensor is completely loose, the one that reads the roof is completely down and the the red light goes off in the roof control panel
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 09:01 PM   #9
mariocaz
Second Lieutenant
Rep

After a while of not using the roof because I bought the hard top and I love it, so I took off the hard top to use the roof some days but I coulnīt use it because when I wanted to close the roof nothing happened only I can hear a little the motor of the roof working but that is all.

I scanned the car and showed these errors......
Attached Images

Appreciate 0