ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Whats the best Street option today?

Hey Gang - my car is away for the winter, so time to start planning and spending for next year!

I currently have Bilstein B6's of unknown provenance and 2 yr old Eibach Prokits. I don't track it - this is a summer daily driver, on rough city streets.
  • The Eibach's lowered more than I thought they would. The front is almost tucked under the lip. Look great, but...
  • The feel great, until I hit anything more than an inch or two, and then its a loud bang that has my checking my strut towers daily.

So - I'm looking for something that keeps me lower, but allows the front to be adjusted a bit, and something that's going to be less nerve wracking on city streets. Coilovers with some kind of street spring combo seems to be the right path to dial in the drop.

Bilstein seems to be out of stock and not restocking.

SO - what are the good options now? KW? Koni? Fortune?

I don't want to overbuy a crazy race set up for my daily commute and lake country blasts, but I'm happy to spend for good product.

Right now I'm looking hard at the Fortunes with the remote adjustment --- cool stuff.

And bonus question - what else should I do at the same time?
I don't think I need adjustable pillowball mounts as I'm not tracking, but open to opinions if there's value to be found there. But - I know people do ZHP LCAs, different mounts, strut tower bars, etc. Point me in the right direction!

And - thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #2
Reborn_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I actually have the same questions, but I'm stock. Was leaning toward hunting down the B6/B8 and pairing with eibachs, but came to similar conclusions as you (though I'd probably live with the drop if I could actually find the Bilsteins!). Through all my searching, I've landed on the KW v3, but it seems a bit spendy for our needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #3
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

@reborn --- My other complaint about the eibach biltein setup is that sharp impacts - like any kind of lip, crack, etc., absolutely hammers the chassis. Feels like it bottoms out completely - couple of times I've pulled over to check the shock towers. Streets are bad here, but not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

I'm going through the same thoughts with my car, although still on stock suspension but running 19 inch BBS wheels.

I adore my car but the ride is so harsh. I never track it so I don't need a race setup. I just want something that is more composed on bumpy roads but still enjoyable for the occasional spirited weekend drive.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Reborn_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegz4m View Post
@reborn --- My other complaint about the eibach biltein setup is that sharp impacts - like any kind of lip, crack, etc., absolutely hammers the chassis. Feels like it bottoms out completely - couple of times I've pulled over to check the shock towers. Streets are bad here, but not that bad.
Thank you for the insight.

To both, from what I have read, the kw v3 is pretty unanimously called out to be good for comfort as well as track use (which I find hard to believe, but willing to trust other forum members). It will also give you the benefit of dialing in your drop exactly how you want it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
JimBob0047
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR

Bilstein PSS10 FTW! Simple one knob adjustment than can be done without lifting the car.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:02 AM   #7
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M, X3 35i, i3 REx

Garage List
I really like my Ground Control school kit. I purposely went with soft rates (375f/450r) so that it'd be comfortable for everyday driving while still capable for the occasional track day. For street, I set the shocks at 1/2 turn from full soft and find it perfect - still handles way better than factory but no jarring effect even on the worst roads. It actually rides softer than my old 135is that had BMW Performance shocks + Dinan springs. Height wise, I'm basically 1/2" lower than stock so to anyone else it looks factory (i.e. not slammed).

Also think the kit is reasonably priced considering it includes camber plates, rear shock mounts and rear spring perch plates.

12-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #8
BradZ4MC
B
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 M coupe

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [0.00]
2007 Z4 M Coupe  [0.00]
I have loved my PSS10 set up. I turn it down to 2 on the street and it is as smooth as I would ask out of a sports car. I turn it from 8-10 on the track and it is plenty stiff for most drivers track day.
Incase anyone is interested in a used set up mine is coming off in the next month along with Ground control camber plates and RE RSMs.
I have MCS double adjustable set up with race plates on order😝!
Appreciate 0