ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-17-2020, 11:48 AM   #1
p964
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4si

Z4 Steering Issue

This is my first post on this forum - I have been reading up on the Z4 steering issue and have not yet found a thread that replicates my current situation. I have a 2006 Z4 Si that has the EPS light that intermittently goes off. I can turn the car off and then the light will go off for awhile and then comes back on and the power steering cuts off again. I took it to my local mechanic and he says that it is showing the 611C code that refers to the Steering Torque Sensor and recommends a new rack for the car. Here is the unusual part - I got a BMW scanner and checked the live data for the steering angle sensor and found normal readings when I turned the wheel to the left but the sensor does not show any values when I turn the wheel to the right. My question is can a faulty steering angle sensor make just the EPS light come on (normally I see people referring to 3 lights showing up EPS, Traction Control and ABS) - I am only seeing the EPS light. Can a faulty steering angle sensor cause the 611C code to show up? I am thinking of having the steering rack pulled and replacing the steering angle sensor and having the EPS motor rebuilt while I have it out but want to avoid spending for unnecessary repairs when I should just replace the entire rack.

Sorry for being long-winded - any help would be appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
drocket77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4

If you have a bi-directional scanner, you can re calibrate the sensor. Is there any other problem with the steering? Is it tight, loose, or does it have slack/play? If all were no, then never take it to that mechanic. The angle sensor is in the steering column, and runs about $100.00 us and some time. I have had good and bad transactions with Rock Auto. And even if you replace it, you would still need a scanner that can re calibrate the new one.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...n+sensor,13497
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
p964
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4si

Thank you for the information - I would say that the steering of the car is somewhat "darty" - the car tends to follow imperfections in the road and takes a lot of small corrections to keep going straight (not to the level that I have seen described in the "sticky steering" comments). There is also not any changes based on temperature - the power steering cuts off when it is warm or cold. I assume that I will need to remove the steering column to get to the steering angle sensor so I was also wanting to rebuild the steering motor while I have the column out (I believe the vendor is ECU Testing that rebuilds these motors)

UPDATE: I just heard back from ECU Testing and there us nothing wrong with my steering motor. I am hoping not to have to replace the entire steering rack but I may have run out of options.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 02:34 AM   #4
Phatdan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4

Did you ever resolve this issue?

I'm having similar problems with my 2006 Z4.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:07 PM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Just seeing this. The dartiness is unfortunately part and parcel of the Z4 experience, particularly with M Sport suspension and wheels. It takes a bit of getting used to. The light coming on is another matter and should be looked into; sorry I can't be more help there. Just be aware that fixing the cause of the light coming on may not fix the dartiness.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If your car has run flat tires, replacing them with conventional tires makes a big improvement in steering. I find my cars steering to be particularly twitchy when the tires are not properly inflated or if the car needs an alignment.
Appreciate 0