ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2020, 04:05 PM   #1
rbaisa
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0

Top troubles and broken Compartment Floor

So when I bought this car I was aware that the top did not work. When you press the button the latches open, I can hear the motor and then the button blinks red. I can manually move the top back by hand and then the latches will close. I pulled the motor out and it is in good shape. I didn't really know what I was doing, and when I though about it I don't think there was any hydraulic fluid in the reservoir, but the motor was a bit sticky. So I am assuming there is a hydraulic leak somewhere.

Another problem is that apparently the tab on the back of the compartment floor is broken off. It looks like the bypassed the switch to get the latches to engage. They also tie wrapped the shelf brackets for some reason? So I would like to 3d-print a tab and jb weld on. Can someone send me some closeup pics of the tab with some measurements please? I wld appreciate it. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 07:07 PM   #2
rbaisa
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0

Here is my first attempt. I think it is a little too tall gonna have to bring it down a few mm.

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #3
BobR07Z
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4

Haven't been on the forum since my top repair but from what you're saying I'll add my .02 !
First, there is a lot of stuff on the top posted in this forum to help you, I really appreciated all the pics and info.
Second, you might check the red over-ride pull switch and make sure it is not in passive position. That will cause the top to not move.
Nice job on the tab! Good luck if you haven't already got it done.
Appreciate 0