ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Any previous Z3 owners?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up a Z4. But up to recently I never thought about Z3s (had a Z3MR decades ago). And tested one. It was a 2.8 6-pot Z3. For some reason, while the Z4 ticks are the right boxes, I came away with an unshakeable fond memory of the slower and older Z3.

It seemed to have more character than the Z4. Logically the Z4 should be the right choice, but my heart keeps going back to the Z3.
Also noticed the Z3 are being snapped up fairly quickly in the used market vs the Z4 (lots of wiggle room).

Just wondering if there are any previous Z3 owners (non-M) that can share their thoughts between the two.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
The Z3 platform has that classic charm, aesthetic and size a lot of folks find appealing. I have driven a number of Z3 non-M coupes and it is a very fun street car with lots of character.

How are you planning to use the car? In my conversations with Z3/Z4 owners and BMW shops the Z4 platform is largely considered a more reliable and better driving platform in all aspects. However if you love the shape and experience of the Z3 there really is no substitute!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I have both, the z4 is a much much better car. That said, the z3 is also a lot of fun.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      05-26-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

It'll likely be a 4th car to the stable. Being a convertible, it'll see non-winter use only. I was chatting with Z3 owners that a good point is that the early models will meet classic insurance policy. This means $300/yr for insurance.

It's also very hard to fine manual Z4s. Now granted BMW manuals have never quite satisfy me, I still prefer a self-rowing stick if possible. More manual options with the Z3. The Z4 is powerful enough that the automatic tranny is ok. Not a show stopper. I'm also more familiar with this era of platform/engine.

You are right, the Z3 does exude that classic roadster care free open top experience. Maybe it's the smell, noise, lower slung position.... the wide body ones are sexier too.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I went on a vigorous drive in my Z4 with a Z3 crew. Kept up with two highly modified coupes in my stock Z4. At a rest break the guy who had been following me through the fun bits — and who had trailered his car to the event — said “it must be nice to have a modern suspension.”

Moral: if you’re gonna drive it, get a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #6
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

if your looking for the auto trans, grab the latter 2001 to 2002 model, its lightyears ahead. the 3.0 is also the best of the bunch engine poke wise.
wdb4732.00
      05-27-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
Z4fanatico
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4, 2019 Mini Cooper

I had a Z3 and now a Z4. For me the Z4 is a much more comfortable car to sit in and drive with more leg and shoulder room. I also find the seats much more comfortable as well. No way I can go back to a cramped Z3 when I have the option of a comfortable Z4.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17309.00
      05-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
I have both, the z4 is a much much better car. That said, the z3 is also a lot of fun.
Yep. I have a Z3M (S54) coupe and a Z4M coupe.

The Z3 coupe beats the Z4 on storage space--it's amazing how much stuff you can pack in what's kind of a mini-wagon. The Z3 is a bit rougher around the edges, but that lends it some charm, and the gauges and other parts of the cockpit are pretty cool. It's a hoot to drive. If the sub-frame issues have been addressed and it's well maintained I don't see any issues between the two. Both S54 versions have S54 fun and the usual issues (exhaust hub tabs, rod bearings).

The Z4 feels more eager to run and is a bit more refined, but still just as engaging. I find the cockpit to feel a bit more constrained, but I like the driving characteristics better. The 6 speed suits the engine better, and, all around it's an upgrade in precision and performance. I just like how the car feels and responds better--faster, tighter, more precise. Yet still demanding a lot of the the driver to dance well. Fun cars should ask something of you to return something--that's the fun of driving to me. And both deliver.

Still, if I had to sell one, there's no question I'd keep the Z4. Yet I would miss the Z3 very much anyway and think about it. After an E46 M3, E92 M3, a 991.1 GT3, and a number of other cars, the Z3 and Z4 are the most engaging and fun aside from the GT3. And they come w/o the GT3 price, 90% of the fun on public roads, and much less worry.
Appreciate 5
wdb4732.00
XMetal1134.50
Efthreeoh17309.00
      06-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I have both, '97 Z3 M44 and my Z4 3.0si Coupe. I have a Bilstein/H&R suspension in the Z3. It handles better than the coupe, but it's slow, which fine because it's fun to drive and keep it at 9/10s.

Early Z3 build quality really sucks. Drivetrain is typical BMW N/A tank, but the body and trim work are subpar. The Z3 is my wife's car. We've had it since new for 22 years. Will never get rid of it. I heard the M52 in the 6 cylinder version slows the steering and chassis response, though I've never driven one. A 3IM N52 swap would be ideal. The N52 is about the same weight as the iron-block M44.

The must be pretty cheap by now. Fun toy for a Bimmerhead to have IMO.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I went on a vigorous drive in my Z4 with a Z3 crew. Kept up with two highly modified coupes in my stock Z4. At a rest break the guy who had been following me through the fun bits — and who had trailered his car to the event — said “it must be nice to have a modern suspension.”

Moral: if you’re gonna drive it, get a Z4.
I don't know about that guy. I think the E30/E36 suspension was the best of breed in the 3-series. The E90 is close. E46 suspension design, meh. The used in on the X3...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0