ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #1
Coolmg
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4

Air Bag light will not go out

Hopefully this is the correct place for this. My son in law placed a child booster seat in the passenger side of my 04 E85 Z4, Now I have a air bag light that will not go out. Purchased a C110+ code reader, no codes found under air bags, and it will not clear. I totally am a DIY person, so any help would be appreciated. Also I checked all the connections and wiring under the seat, to no avail. Any help please Mark
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #2
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Google Z4 seat mat issue... it will pull up information on this including videos.

Note....anytime you disconnect a wiring harness connection on the car you potentially will set an error code...always if it's the airbag system. Disconnect the battery from the car before disconnecting/inspecting/cleaning connections.

BMW specific codes won't be read by most OBED2 readers and even the ones that have some capability to read doesn't guarantee being able to clear them.
      04-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #3
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmg View Post
Hopefully this is the correct place for this. My son in law placed a child booster seat in the passenger side of my 04 E85 Z4, Now I have a air bag light that will not go out. Purchased a C110+ code reader, no codes found under air bags, and it will not clear. I totally am a DIY person, so any help would be appreciated. Also I checked all the connections and wiring under the seat, to no avail. Any help please Mark
I'm in the exact same situation. I removed my seats to clean the carpet, had the battery disconnected and everything. I even used ziplock bags to cover all the connectors. I turn on the car and hello to another red light. So I bought the same scanner and nothing, no codes. I go to my indy and he can't pull it up either. My only next guess is to go to the dealer but paying them two hundred dollars for fifteen minutes makes me cringe. I'll let you know if I decided to go to the dealer, keep us posted if anything changes!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
HarryFD
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4

There are several places the Air Bag light will be set besides the Air Bag section on the code reader.

I have the Creator C501 and I went through this. While I do not have it handy right now, check all of the subsections in the Body part of the reader. As I recall, the code you need to reset could be in the B Pillar codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
brendanto
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0

Had a similar issue and had to use INPA to clear it. If it doesn't clear it's a real problem and you'll have to dig deeper.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

I replaced my battery and now my airbag light is on and won't clear. Any tips?
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0

Last edited by TK421BMW; 06-05-2020 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #7
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Read my post(s) here... they are nearer the end of the thread.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ion-on-battery

I'm referring you to the post about the SRS cable connection to a terminal block in the battery well ('04... other cars location might be different).

When you changed the battery you might have "disturbed" the connection... if it doesn't make a good connection.. or is dirty and any accidental pulling (disturbing) the connection can set that error light. If it's dirty/loose etc you can cause a low voltage error code.

You are only going to read this code correctly if you have INPA or INSTA D software. Pretty sure a code reader will misread it if it can read at all... based on my experience with an Independent before returning car to dealer to have it checked out. The Independent read it as a seat belt issue.

It could be the seat mat as well... there is a reason for the advice not to kneel on the passenger seat.
      06-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
Sterling Roadster
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e85 Z4 3.0i & e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmg View Post
I mentioned this is another thread but make sure you clear every single category before going after the seat mat. In my case the code was hidden under B-Pillar Satellite or something alike. Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #9
Lerelativiste
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 e85 170HP 2.2i

Air Bag light will not go out

In case this is still an issue, I had the exact same problem and indeed the error codes were hidden under B-Pillar Satellite, there are two on those, check both and clear the erreur (key in, two clicks engine off) using the C110+ diagnostic tool, it works perfectly fine. Hope this helps!

Appreciate 0