ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Z4MC on Autotrder.com

As I've said before, I still haven't bought my z4 M. I'm 100% sure that I want to get a Coupe, but there are almost none in the Chicago area. I need to get one quick, so I've decided to look all over the States.

I was hunting for an Interlagos Blue with carbon leather trim and navigation, but haven't found one. However, I found these silver and black Coupes from 2007, but I'm still afraid of buying over the internet.

Has anyone ever heard of any of those dealerships, or lives nearby so you can give me some feedback on them. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

Here are the two Links:
silver http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=651
black http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=602

Last edited by tom_48; 05-26-2008 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Coincidence - the black one's VIN is 11 digits before mine!

Anyway, as someone that's bought about 7 vehicle via the internet, including my M Coupe, I say give the dealer a call and form an impression of their operation, whether they're professionals or just a fly-by-night operation. The cars are fairly new and still under warranty, so the risks are fairly minimal. If you like the look of things, make arrangements to go and buy the car, and take a good look at it before you sign anything; perhaps even pay to have it inspected. If you change you mind once you're there, you're only out plane fare and maybe a vacation day. If things were out, you've got your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2008, 09:43 PM   #3
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post

Anyway, as someone that's bought about 7 vehicle via the internet, including my M Coupe, I say give the dealer a call and form an impression of their operation, whether they're professionals or just a fly-by-night operation. The cars are fairly new and still under warranty, so the risks are fairly minimal. If you like the look of things, make arrangements to go and buy the car, and take a good look at it before you sign anything; perhaps even pay to have it inspected. If you change you mind once you're there, you're only out plane fare and maybe a vacation day. If things were out, you've got your car.
So you recommend I should go there personally, right? That's what you have done in the past???

Last edited by tom_48; 05-26-2008 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
JBZ4
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown View Post

+1 I have done the same, and yes as epbrown says you can get a feel for who your dealing with. Run a search for the dealer on the web for complaints or BBB if you want more info. I have purchased quite a few vehicles like this and I have had great luck so far. Do not be afraid to ask a lot of questions and more pictures if you want and be sure to nail the deal firm on price before you fly. My 2007 was picked up in Detroit and it was a great experience, and you can always walk away if your not happy!
PS. Maybe a forum member lives close enough to take a look for you if you are close to pulling the trigger on one for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
rc'Z
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Putting an 'eye ball' on a used car probably doesn't go far about the overall condition of a car now a days. Carfax report will help a little. If the car isn't on a BMW lot, ask if you can take it to a BMW dealer and have it checked out. Would be worth the money. I'd also make sure that BMW will still honor the warrenty, a used car dealer can tell you anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #6
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_48 View Post
So you recommend I should go there personally, right? That's what you have done in the past???
Once you're sure you want the car, yes. I've always flown out and driven the cars back so my range is always within a day's hard driving of Chicago (Rhode Island, Delaware, Miami, and North Carolina in the past); I'm not a fan of having a car shipped and getting a surprise 2-3 weeks after I've paid.

But I've passed on cars before - trust me, if you've got any sort of bullshit detector, a bad seller will set it off long before you've bought a plane ticket or arranged an inspection. My favorite line from one guy, about a Porsche 911 when I asked about getting the car inspected: "I don't recommend that, all they're gonna do is talk about what's wrong with the car." Um, yeah, that's sort of what I'm interested in.

Even before that, the guy was full of contradictions - the car had been painted recently at a high end shop for thousands of dollars, but he'd lost the receipt, it had been meticulously maintained but he'd kept no records, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #7
m3power13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_48 View Post
As I've said before, I still haven't bought my z4 M. I'm 100% sure that I want to get a Coupe, but there are almost none in the Chicago area. I need to get one quick, so I've decided to look all over the States.

I was hunting for an Interlagos Blue with carbon leather trim and navigation, but haven't found one. However, I found these silver and black Coupes from 2007, but I'm still afraid of buying over the internet.

Has anyone ever heard of any of those dealerships, or lives nearby so you can give me some feedback on them. I would really appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

Here are the two Links:
silver http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=651
black http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=602

I live 10 minutes from the Merc dealer in Cary, your first link. If you want I can swing by and give it a look over and send you some pictures. I'll even test drive it for you
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #8
j2dna
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe Imola Red

I just picked an M Coupe last week in a similar situation. Flew to Atlanta, test drove it, bought it, drove it home...

Car was owned by the service manager. I was a bit concerned as well, but it turned out great. I didn't feel comfortable buying a car unseen.

Good luck...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3power13 View Post
I live 10 minutes from the Merc dealer in Cary, your first link. If you want I can swing by and give it a look over and send you some pictures. I'll even test drive it for you
Dude, thanks a lot. I can't believie someone would ever do that. You're awesome!!!

However, a black Coupe came out near me just a few days ago, and I'm going to check it out this weekend. It's got carbon and extended leather inside, but no NAV System. (But I'll probably get one built in later by BMW or just get like Garmin or something) I going to try to get maybe 2 grand off the asking price, but if that doesn't work out, I'll certainly let you know.

But, again, that's huge from your side. Thanks.
BTW, that's what you call a professional and helpful forum!!!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Nate2046
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 e92M

Just an FYI about the car at LM. They originally listed it for 39895 then bumped it to 42895 for some reason. I was going to go up and look at it myself til there pricing got silly.
Appreciate 0