ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
FinniganG
Rep
Drives: Z4 e85 m54b30

I'm 16 and saved up for a used 2003 z4 2.5i and upon getting it home and doing more research found out the previous owner had dropped a 3.0 from a 2002 330i. I drove it once and white smoke blew from the tailpipe and the car died going up my drive way. after talking to a buddy of mine that runs a dealership he said that it was a blown head gasket and although it would be hard and slow if i was meticulous enough about it i would be able to get it done knowing nothing about engines. i don't have a dad or any adult to help me and ik i'm taking a big undertaking and risk here but i'm passionate about cars and want to get this one back on the road. right now i'm stuck on what to do next, and what to do about the white sludge, do i clean it? hose it off? ignore it? i'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else but to be honest i'm extremely lost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Your best bet is to buy a used $800 M54 engine and swap it in. A 3 liter engine will require some different parts but nothing exotic... namely a MAF sensor and ECU tune. You can install an OEM 3.0 tune with WinKFP, but it will only function properly with the 3.0 MAF.

A head gasket change will require skills and tools you likely don't have yet, and not doing it right will result in engine failure. Even if you somehow manage to change the head gasket properly, it doesn't address the root cause of the head gasket failure. A head gasket failure is often a symptom of a warped head, usually due to the engine overheating.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      01-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Wow, so many things wrong in those pics.
Wish I was closer, I would help you fix it.

I think that engine was abused.

Headers, catch can, unplugged O2 sensors, likely vacuum leaks from the taped up intake pipe.
Did you break the nose off the coil taking it out?

Before thinking the worst and a blown head gasket, put this into google. "BMW M54 White Sludge" First 3 hits are videos to diagnose, blown HG and causes of white sludge.

Report back when you get a definitive answer to whether it's the HG.

Good luck.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #4
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Your best bet is to buy a used $800 M54 engine and swap it in. A 3 liter engine will require some different parts but nothing exotic... namely a MAF sensor and ECU tune. You can install an OEM 3.0 tune with WinKFP, but it will only function properly with the 3.0 MAF.

A head gasket change will require skills and tools you likely don't have yet, and not doing it right will result in engine failure. Even if you somehow manage to change the head gasket properly, it doesn't address the root cause of the head gasket failure. A head gasket failure is often a symptom of a warped head, usually due to the engine overheating.
i bought it with 3.0 already swapped in (unbeknownst to me) so i think the hardware and software are already there
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:06 PM   #5
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Wow, so many things wrong in those pics.
Wish I was closer, I would help you fix it.

I think that engine was abused.

Headers, catch can, unplugged O2 sensors, likely vacuum leaks from the taped up intake pipe.
Did you break the nose off the coil taking it out?

Before thinking the worst and a blown head gasket, put this into google. "BMW M54 White Sludge" First 3 hits are videos to diagnose, blown HG and causes of white sludge.

Report back when you get a definitive answer to whether it's the HG.

Good luck.
i have already gotten it checked out and that's what they told me, making 10 dollars an hour i was hoping to be able to save some money doing it myself and more importantly learning more about my car in the process! but again i have friends in the car business that have offered to help me out with discounts on engines and the like i was just really hoping to have the experience!

oh and the coil was already broke
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:07 PM   #6
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

I'm actually doing one right now on my RallyX car...mind you it's not the same kind of car or engine. Really the Z4 engines aren't too bad to work on and even enjoyable. Like your friend said it just takes time and being thorough with documenting everything you remove and being extremely clean. Example gasket surfaces being perfect clean and smooth, miss that step and you'll be doing it again.

Like the previous poster said the biggest issue is that it may have warped. I was lucky with my car and I didn't have that issue but it also didn't sound as bad as yours. It's not hard to check for. All you would need is a $40 machinest straight edge and a set of feeler gauges. That would show you if it's warped. If they aren't then you would just need a engine gasket kit and what ever other parts you need. I would break it down first to see if it's warp and if it is then go the used engine route. I would stay with the 3.0i. I've had both and would rather have the 3 over the 2.5.

Best of luck to you! Just try not to let it get you down, use it for gaining experience that can save you big bucks in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #7
FinniganG
Rep

And what do i do about the white sludge? i assume i'm not supposed to just ignore it but it's in every hose do i take it all apart and clean every single one out?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

After looking at the pics again I'm worried about this car in general. It wasn't a flood car right? I'm surprised how rust covered the coils are so those will need replaced too most likely, especially if they came into contact with the coolant. Yeah, I would just clean all the lines out. Well I guess you could always try a bottle of the dreaded head gasket sealer...has a high risk of causing clogs, plus the gasket may be too far gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
After looking at the pics again I'm worried about this car in general. It wasn't a flood car right? I'm surprised how rust covered the coils are so those will need replaced too most likely, especially if they came into contact with the coolant. Yeah, I would just clean all the lines out. Well I guess you could always try a bottle of the dreaded head gasket sealer...has a high risk of causing clogs, plus the gasket may be too far gone.
most likely i'm going to have to swap the engine which honestly seems likes suprisingly less work time and money then trying to get this one up to par. the weird part is that it's only the engine that's in bad condition (along with the "racing" inspired contributions such as the actors headers and full straight pipes) the interiors mint, and the rest of the engine bay and body looks completely fine. the engine just seems completely in disrepair considering the amount of money it seems like was put into it, there's real carbon fiber bits around like the engine cover and mirrors, 1200 coilovers, ag luxury wheels lol. i just can't seem to wrap my head around the situation causing this
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
FinniganG
Rep

another thing i haven't mentioned is that it looks like they were on a rush or something to put together this engine. where there would be 4 booths they only put two, and where there would be 6 there's three, ie. there's just enough screw to keep it together. it's confusing why they would just rush through something like this, again though the rest of the cars perfect, the only problem in seeing is with this engine
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #11
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Maybe they had a more built engine and just threw that junk one in to be able to sell it. Who knows. Is the trans an auto? Also did they convert to hydro steering or is it the normal electric steering. Just curious as they've done a lot of other things. Just fyi the steering will drive you crazy in hot weather with out a "fix" done. My 03 drove me insane. One of the reasons I bought an 08 coupe.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #12
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinniganG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post

i bought it with 3.0 already swapped in (unbeknownst to me) so i think the hardware and software are already there
I wouldn't assume...

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Maybe they had a more built engine and just threw that junk one in to be able to sell it. Who knows. Is the trans an auto? Also did they convert to hydro steering or is it the normal electric steering. Just curious as they've done a lot of other things. Just fyi the steering will drive you crazy in hot weather with out a "fix" done. My 03 drove me insane. One of the reasons I bought an 08 coupe.
it's a manual and yes it has hydronic steering. i shouldn't known it was probably too good to be true buying it for 2000 and they guy saying there were zero issues "track ready" but that was before i knew anything about cars and it's been sitting till now that i finally have the confidence to work on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Also did they convert to hydro steering or is it the normal electric steering.
From the looks of it in the first pic with no res there doesn't look like they did.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #15
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Quote:
Also did they convert to hydro steering or is it the normal electric steering.
From the looks of it in the first pic with no res there doesn't look like they did.
i am just going off what i was told but the seller but as i'm realizing i shouldn't completely trust
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:37 PM   #16
Our03z4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
i am just going off what i was told but the seller but as i'm realizing i shouldn't completely trust
Get some good pics from underneath and we can see if in fact they did. Like a previous poster said there isn't a reservoir that is visible.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 10:39 PM   #17
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
If I were you get to know your car before making any big decisions. Find out what you are working with. Ask yourself these questions.

1. Do you have factory ECU that came with your car or was it swapped out?
2. How is your engine harness is it butchered or still intact?
3. Do I want to bring the car back to OEM specs with a 2.5 engine or just work with the 3.0?
4. Will I be able to have the time and budget for this project?

Once you have an idea or a game plan then everything will be easier. We know your head gasket blew. You could remove the head have it resurfaced and rebuilt but would that be enough? Are you just trying to get this car on the road or properly fix it? Is this just a project car?

Take your time make a parts list, buy a set of tools, and a repair manual. Let us know if you needs pictures for reference if you can't find one online or just any random questions. I have a lot of tools from sockets to micrometer if only you were closer to me.

Last edited by T-Bears; 02-10-2021 at 10:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 10:25 PM   #18
FinniganG
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bears View Post
If I were you get to know your car before making any big decisions. Find out what you are working with. Ask yourself these questions.

1. Do you have factory ECU that came with your car or was it swapped out?
2. How is your engine harness is it butchered or still intact?
3. Do I want to bring the car back to OEM specs with a 2.5 engine or just work with the 3.0?
4. Will I be able to have the time and budget for this project?

Once you have an idea or a game plan then everything will be easier. We know your head gasket blew. You could remove the head have it resurfaced and rebuilt but would that be enough? Are you just trying to get this car on the road or properly fix it? Is this just a project car?

Take your time make a parts list, buy a set of tools, and a repair manual. Let us know if you needs pictures for reference if you can't find one online or just any random questions. I have a lot of tools from sockets to micrometer if only you were closer to me.
i have tools, manual, and a small amount of experience but have since desired that to truly make it mine and start from a blank state i have purchased a rebuilt m54b30 and am going to replace it with a buddy along with ecu.
Appreciate 1
wdb4718.00
      02-13-2021, 02:23 AM   #19
ADent
Rep
Drives: Z4

It seems common to swap 2.5 for 3.0, at least in the 3 series.

Should be good when you are done - I would definitely want the 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:47 AM   #20
T-Bears
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85 2.5i

Garage List
Quote:
i have tools, manual, and a small amount of experience but have since desired that to truly make it mine and start from a blank state i have purchased a rebuilt m54b30 and am going to replace it with a buddy along with ecu.
Cool, I have driven a 3.0 once and it had a stronger top end performance compared to my 2.5i. That extra 500cc really made a difference. I'm thinking of getting a VF Engineering blower in the future but first will probably have my transmission rebuilt.
Appreciate 0