ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #221
Twisted Six
CarbonFiber Engineer @ ZeroMassMotorsports
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4si-coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
I think your coupe weight is off by 100, its just a tad heavier than the roadie.
I agree though; I know I can pick up a 100lbs in other areas w/o turning it into a pure track machine.

I'll have to stick it back on my scales one day soon & get a dry weight.
My weight log is based on wet & weighted (me) for corner balancing.
Could be, I think those are Wikipedia weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Could go on a diet too - No Cheeseburgers
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
thought about that too.
...I draw the line at giving up da beer though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'm glad you guys are staying sane with your decisions here,lol.

By the way...for those track guys planning on keeping their M seats installed....I have a set of extra (member donated) seat backs that I'll eventually mold for CF. I couldn't believe how heavy just those parts were !

That again is probably another 20-30 lbs to lose !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #222
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Six View Post
I'm glad you guys are staying sane with your decisions here,lol.

By the way...for those track guys planning on keeping their M seats installed....I have a set of extra (member donated) seat backs that I'll eventually mold for CF. I couldn't believe how heavy just those parts were !

ORLY??? you're just full of surprises
I'm Probably modding my M seats instead of changing to track seats, so may be interested.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 08-27-2012 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #223
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

twisted any pics on the cf roofs completed?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #224
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Roadster is lighter than the coupe :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #225
SuaveSmooth
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M (Japanese Import)

Hi,
I just upgraded from a Z4 3.0SI to Z4M roadster. I don't like the look of the coupe and I don't like the OEM Darth Vader hard top... so I'm talking with a Fabricator on the East Coast to make a custom carbon fiber (structural) hard top.

1. There's two routes to with this...completely remove the soft top and use the coupe door glass and the carbon fiber hard top will have integrated quarter glass. The coupe door glass is pointed and not rounded like the roadsters. The 09 Z4 have pointed door glass as well.

2. The second option is to keep the soft top and make the carbon fiber hard top with the standard door glass shape and have a rounded quarter glass still trying for the 09 z4 hard top look.

The question is...anyone willing to do group buy? I'm trying to lower the R&D cost of making the molds (the fabricator will keep the mold...he will be selling to us the hard top).

I'm working with some photoshop folks to generate a photo... to post. I also like to get commissioned a new front bumper...Z4 just look weird up front. Beautiful sides and back.

The estimated cost will be the same as OEM retail hard top. Any members interested?

If you know any Carbon Fiber or Fiberglas fabricators willing to do the work on the west coast...please let me know...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #226
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveSmooth View Post
Hi,
I just upgraded from a Z4 3.0SI to Z4M roadster. I don't like the look of the coupe and I don't like the OEM Darth Vader hard top... so I'm talking with a Fabricator on the East Coast to make a custom carbon fiber (structural) hard top.

1. There's two routes to with this...completely remove the soft top and use the coupe door glass and the carbon fiber hard top will have integrated quarter glass. The coupe door glass is pointed and not rounded like the roadsters. The 09 Z4 have pointed door glass as well.

2. The second option is to keep the soft top and make the carbon fiber hard top with the standard door glass shape and have a rounded quarter glass still trying for the 09 z4 hard top look.

The question is...anyone willing to do group buy? I'm trying to lower the R&D cost of making the molds (the fabricator will keep the mold...he will be selling to us the hard top).

I'm working with some photoshop folks to generate a photo... to post. I also like to get commissioned a new front bumper...Z4 just look weird up front. Beautiful sides and back.

The estimated cost will be the same as OEM retail hard top. Any members interested?

If you know any Carbon Fiber or Fiberglas fabricators willing to do the work on the west coast...please let me know...
First of all congrats & welcome

...since this is a thread dedicated to the coupe CF roof, I would suggest starting another thread to check interest in your roadsters project. (it will get buried here)
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #227
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuaveSmooth View Post
Hi,

Congrats on your car.
From reading your post, one might gather you don't really care for the baseline looks of the Z4 . Most folks LOVE the M front cover and Coupe roofline, but if they opted for the roadster....want to KEEP the function of the convertible at least until their snow season sets in.

Removing the convert. top sounds like a personal one-off choice to me. You may be fully alone on that thought.

Bare in mind, developing all the proper good looking hardware/fasteners and rear glass/defroster function as well as a precision fit and finish will be an expensive venture to fund out-of-pocket.

I'm a little confused why your asking about a westcoast CF fabricator since all your references to development are in the east ? I personally have zero interest in handling it. I have Way too much work pre-scheduled for one thing.

Best way to go about your query is to open a new thread and see where it goes. Pick a pro in the east and I'll advise as you go along if needed.

Best of luck with your endeavor within this path you've chosen.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #228
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Just a few more steps dialing in the substructure plug -(the area which will hold the honeycomb core).... And I'll be making the B mold.

Once this half of the mold is completed, I'll let it post cure over a few weeks while I task on other projects.

Then it'll be time to infuse CF parts!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #229
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
20-30 lbs reduction for the pair? Might be worth starting a new thread. This would seem to be a relatively good bang for the buck when it comes to dietary efforts.
      09-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #230
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
20-30 lbs reduction for the pair? Might be worth starting a new thread. This would seem to be a relatively good bang for the buck when it comes to dietary efforts.
Good point Lance. All in due time. Lots going on.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #231
Gas Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

How far off are you from being able to make these? Or have you already started? How much and how do I get one?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #232
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Good point Lance. All in due time. Lots going on.
Are you going to be around on the 22nd? I might be in the area.
      09-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #233
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Monkey View Post
How far off are you from being able to make these? Or have you already started? How much and how do I get one?
Very close to production. See a few posts back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Are you going to be around on the 22nd? I might be in the area.
Very possible. Do call ahead ! Maybe lunch or whatever fits!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #234
nwflbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 MCoupe (Interlagos Blue)

Does anyone actually have a carbon roof on a Z4 M Coupe? I would love to see a picture of it. How much weight does it actually save? Last but not least. How much does it cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #235
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwflbimmer View Post
Does anyone actually have a carbon roof on a Z4 M Coupe? I would love to see a picture of it. How much weight does it actually save? Last but not least. How much does it cost?
Palantarion has one on his Mcoupe. Its about 2-3 years old. Cost about $1,700-2,200.00 if I recall. Unfortunately his is delaminating due to build process.

he has since made his car an art car....so it has been covered with paint. I'll have pix of mine soon enough to post up.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #236
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
twisted,

am i still able to switch my weave from 4x4twill to 2x2???

not sure if i want to switch just asking if its an option
      09-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #237
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieAces View Post
twisted,

am i still able to switch my weave from 4x4twill to 2x2???

not sure if i want to switch just asking if its an option
Yes. This can be decided right up to the day an order is being layed-up for infusion. No worries there.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #238
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

It would be nice to have CF/kevlar bumper beam like the E46 M3 to remove some weight at both extremity of the car.

I think it would be something not too hard to fabricate and the esthetic doesn't need to be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #239
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
It would be nice to have CF/kevlar bumper beam like the E46 M3 to remove some weight at both extremity of the car.

I think it would be something not too hard to fabricate and the esthetic doesn't need to be perfect.
Curious how much weight this would save...

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #240
Twisted Six
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M Roadster View Post
Curious how much weight this would save...
I've already considered this in kevlar. With all goals with weight being linear, it's all about losing weight while maintaining/increasing safety.
An alloy bumper substructure would lose about 60-70% weight.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #241
StayFNCY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

So I just bought my Z4 and I really wanna get a hardtop for it, how much is this most likely going to cost if you've got a set price for it yet?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #242
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

Quote:
I've already considered this in kevlar. With all goals with weight being linear, it's all about losing weight while maintaining/increasing safety.
An alloy bumper substructure would lose about 60-70% weight.
That would be nice!
Appreciate 0