ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2019, 11:58 PM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
SOS flashing and BMW Assist Inactive

Was driving on the highway with the top down when it started pouring rain. Pulled over to the side of the highway quickly, hit the emergency hazard lights button and put the top up as fast as I could.

Afterwards my radio and CD player stopped working as did my bluetooth calls. The NAV display keeps saying Emergency and BMW Assist Inactive with my GPS coordinates of my location.

I noticed the SOS button is flashing also. Pissed off as I can't play music or make phone calls.

Manual was no help. I know the SOS/assist buttons don't like getting wet and they may have gotten a little water inside. Going to disconnect the battery tomorrow and reconnect it to see if this clears from memory. Turning the car off for an hour then back on again did nothing.

If anyone knows the right way to turn off SOS/BMW Assist request please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I don't know about Canada, but BMW Assist in the states was running on the Verizon analog network when our cars came out, and that network has been shut down several years ago, rendering BMW Assist useless. I replaced my switch panel with an oddments tray since it was of no use.
      07-21-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I don't know about Canada, but BMW Assist in the states was running on the Verizon analog network when our cars came out, and that network has been shut down several years ago, rendering BMW Assist useless. I replaced my switch panel with an oddments tray since it was of no use.
Fully understood. My issue is that it has locked my stereo and nav out and doesn't offer me the option to deactivate this Emergency/Assist mode. Hoping its either resolved itself overnight or that disconnecting the battery will take care of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Tried to remove the trim pieces covering the battery but my screwheads are stripped and my socket/ratchet combo didn't seem quite tight or effective enough to get the job done.

Then noticed that the trunk light was off. Not sure if the battery just ran dead from being in Emergency mode overnight while the engine wasn't running or I did something trying to remove the panels (doubtful).

Anyway boosted the car using my 911 (grin, how ridiculous is that) and now it starts again. Radio and speakers are working; no more Emergency mode and SOS button is no longer flashing. But I noticed my DSC light is staying on as is the parking brake light. Hoping a few power cycles will clear it.

Car is now sitting in the garage with a battery charger attached. Will report more tomorrow or so.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #5
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Tried to remove the trim pieces covering the battery but my screwheads are stripped and my socket/ratchet combo didn't seem quite tight or effective enough to get the job done.

Then noticed that the trunk light was off. Not sure if the battery just ran dead from being in Emergency mode overnight while the engine wasn't running or I did something trying to remove the panels (doubtful).

Anyway boosted the car using my 911 (grin, how ridiculous is that) and now it starts again. Radio and speakers are working; no more Emergency mode and SOS button is no longer flashing. But I noticed my DSC light is staying on as is the parking brake light. Hoping a few power cycles will clear it.

Car is now sitting in the garage with a battery charger attached. Will report more tomorrow or so.
Try turning your wheel lock to lock with the engine running to reset the steering angle sensor for the DSC and parking brake lights.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Quote:

Try turning your wheel lock to lock with the engine running to reset the steering angle sensor for the DSC and parking brake lights.
Thanks! I'll try that next time. Appears to have resolved itself over night after going for a drive and charging the battery. All seems good now, whew. Who wants to drive without the stereo
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Was driving on the highway with the top down when it started pouring rain. Pulled over to the side of the highway quickly, hit the emergency hazard lights button and put the top up as fast as I could.

Afterwards my radio and CD player stopped working as did my bluetooth calls. The NAV display keeps saying Emergency and BMW Assist Inactive with my GPS coordinates of my location.

I noticed the SOS button is flashing also. Pissed off as I can't play music or make phone calls.

Manual was no help. I know the SOS/assist buttons don't like getting wet and they may have gotten a little water inside. Going to disconnect the battery tomorrow and reconnect it to see if this clears from memory. Turning the car off for an hour then back on again did nothing.

If anyone knows the right way to turn off SOS/BMW Assist request please let me know.
The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. It seemed to happen intermittently (not my daily driver) and I couldn't figure out what the problem was. After taking it to my independent and running some diagnostics, we ended up pulling out and unplugging the switch and he reset all the codes. When the switch goes bad it keeps trying to make a call which cuts out all audio functions. It also runs down the battery. I replaced it with the oddments tray mentioned above by KevinC. No problems since then.

Appreciate 0