ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-13-2019, 10:34 AM   #89
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I installed Revshift 80a poly trans mounts two weeks ago and returned them in under 12 hours. The vibration was unbearable. And no I didn't tighten them too tight I went back and adjusted it multiple times even to the point of just finger tight. I was pretty surprised that even the softest poly would be like that, so I ordered new OEM ones with lifetime warranty for $5.95 each! I just had my 80a diff bushings in and they feel great! No added NVH at all. Finnegan what would you gauge the NVH to be like with poly engine mounts?
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:17 AM   #90
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
I installed Revshift 80a poly trans mounts two weeks ago and returned them in under 12 hours. The vibration was unbearable. And no I didn't tighten them too tight I went back and adjusted it multiple times even to the point of just finger tight. I was pretty surprised that even the softest poly would be like that, so I ordered new OEM ones with lifetime warranty for $5.95 each! I just had my 80a diff bushings in and they feel great! No added NVH at all. Finnegan what would you gauge the NVH to be like with poly engine mounts?
Based on reports I've read it's about similar to your poly transmission mount experience. I'm running Vibra Technics "street" with no change in NVH and improvement with the "denial of 2nd gear" gate blockage issues from engine movement.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 02:20 AM   #91
WeekendWarriorz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Quote:
Based on reports I've read it's about similar to your poly transmission mount experience. I'm running Vibra Technics "street" with no change in NVH and improvement with the "denial of 2nd gear" gate blockage issues from engine movement.
People say the vibra technics collapse from the header heat though. I'll probably be going with new OEM
2021 M2 Competition DCT Hockenheim Silver
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2019, 03:58 AM   #92
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
I think you should always consider the the stiffness difference with the original mounts and not only the actual shore value.
The original transmission mounts are very very soft/squishy. I haven't measured them (hard to do) but I guesstimate them on maybe shore40A
So going to shore80A is a giant leap, where considering the diff mounts (probably stock around shore70A) the difference is much smaller with shore80A
And then there are also other things like how the mount is internally constructed; how much rubber is inbetween the one and other side.

I used generic vibration dampeners with a stiffness of shore55A (cost about $2/piece....), which are considerably stiffer than the OEM hourglass shaped mounts but don't add extra NVH.

You can also look at it from a load pov. I don't know if you've ever (personally) removed the gearbox, but the whole engine/gearbox assembly pretty much rests and pivots around the engine mounts. They take most of the weight and twisting forces. The load on the transmission mounts is very little (you can easily hold up the gearbox with one hand if the transmission mounts are removed); I guess the weight on that point is no more than 30lbs or so, so half that per mount. That kind of weight doesn't need a very stiff mount/dampener to control vibrations.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 05-19-2019 at 04:04 AM..
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #93
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
People say the vibra technics collapse from the header heat though. I'll probably be going with new OEM
Why not go the RE trans mount route like most of us here? It's a definite improvement over stock with no additional NVH.

Regarding engine mounts, have you considered 034 Motorsports mounts linked below? It's described as a small improvement over the OEM mounts. I will give this a try when I inevitably have to change out my Vibra Technics mounts.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-034motor...34-509-0064kt/

Last edited by XMetal; 05-19-2019 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2023, 09:26 PM   #94
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Why not go the RE trans mount route like most of us here? It's a definite improvement over stock with no additional NVH.

Regarding engine mounts, have you considered 034 Motorsports mounts linked below? It's described as a small improvement over the OEM mounts. I will give this a try when I inevitably have to change out my Vibra Technics mounts.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-034motor...34-509-0064kt/
Nice find on the motor mounts.

Totally agree on the RE mounts vs. John Deere tractor experience from hella hard mounts.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 12:08 AM   #95
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Nice find on the motor mounts.

Totally agree on the RE mounts vs. John Deere tractor experience from hella hard mounts.
I did decided to give those 034 motor mounts a try since the NVH had started to increase with the VT mount due to their impending failure. It's been almost 3 years with it - how times fly! A quick review of it in this thread if you're interested => https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=034
      04-22-2023, 01:42 AM   #96
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
I did decided to give those 034 motor mounts a try since the NVH had started to increase with the VT mount due to their impending failure. It's been almost 3 years with it - how times fly! A quick review of it in this thread if you're interested => https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=034
I need to check mounts on both cars. Krissi’s are 3 year old Vibratech and should still be sound. But it does get hot here. Might grab a set and new REs. Those are like 13 years old!

Mine are original on a 50k mile car kept most of its one owner before me life in a climate controlled garage. Suspension - everything - stock but amazingly solid and firm. Not driven hard either - mostly freeway miles. I suspect it’s all good but will check.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 08:38 AM   #97
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

I bought the 034 Motorsport engine/trans combo, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-034motor...4-509-3646~kt/
I have only been driving on them for a couple weeks but I certainly like the feel of them better compared to the old original mounts, maybe that's not saying much but so far there is no extra NVH from them that I can tell and all feels crisp.

I also installed the Garagistic supreme shifter and UUC double shear selector rod with all new OEM shifter bushings.
At 4,000 to 8,000 rpm with hard acceleration there is a high pitched buzzing sound and vibration coming from the shifter, I stuffed the the hollow shaft and knob with closed cell foam and that helped some what but I'm still trying to track down the culprit.
Finnegan have you ever encountered something like this?

I'm doubting that the 10 durometer increase in the hardness of the new mounts could be the cause.
      04-22-2023, 12:30 PM   #98
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyknot View Post
I bought the 034 Motorsport engine/trans combo, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-034motor...4-509-3646~kt/
I have only been driving on them for a couple weeks but I certainly like the feel of them better compared to the old original mounts, maybe that's not saying much but so far there is no extra NVH from them that I can tell and all feels crisp.

I also installed the Garagistic supreme shifter and UUC double shear selector rod with all new OEM shifter bushings.
At 4,000 to 8,000 rpm with hard acceleration there is a high pitched buzzing sound and vibration coming from the shifter, I stuffed the the hollow shaft and knob with closed cell foam and that helped some what but I'm still trying to track down the culprit.
Finnegan have you ever encountered something like this?

I'm doubting that the 10 durometer increase in the hardness of the new mounts could be the cause.
I have not experienced that with a new shifter.

However, when I overtorqued the transmission mounts early on in my exploration with this car, I got some excessive vibration. If I recall the torque specs are something extremely slight. That’s just an FYI I don’t think it applies here.

The the buzzing at those rpm range - is consistent no matter what gear you are in - or does that vary? If it varies, I would look for part of the new mechanics, somehow touching a bracket or the car and creating a resonance.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2023, 01:00 PM   #99
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

I am running 034MS mounts and they are an actual improvement over VT, which were harsh as hell, and 034MS mounts have not degraded the shifter quality one bit, my idle now is smooth and the car does not vibrate as it did with VT (I could see the headlights vibrating at nigh as well as interior mirror). the 034MS items are butter smooth compared with VT, but no drawbacks. Cannot tell from stock as I never drove the car with stock mounts.

i have AS SSK and it buzzes too at 5k rpm. but I am not going to mess with it, since it only happens on that range it does not bother me.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00